Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap-on

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supernaut, Sep 15, 2005.

1. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

just got an email from Snap-on, they are rolling out free shipping for orders under $500.00 starting now. lasts 'till the end of the year.

word to your mothers, yo.

2. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

yup. replying to my own thread! I just remembered the reason i didn't order the snap on catalog is because it was like nine bucks for shipping and that was stupid. now i can order it for free shipping....sweeeeeet!

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Ooh, yipee. I can get a 5 swivel socket set and torque wrench and get it shipped free........

If I gotta get something from them, I just go through the guy with the truck.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I wish I could afford Snap On!! Im stuck with lowly Craftsman, and a CHEAP set I take to Junkyards and such.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate SnapOn stuff myself. Haven't found much of anything about any of their tools that is worth it as of yet.

6. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

oh you mean strap on i relly dont like snap off i use powerbuilt never broke one yet

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

tell me, who designs a ratchet that you can't remove a socket from when your hands are the least bit greasy? I know others do it but really. And the wrenches, you can't apply much torque with/on them without them cutting into your hand. I actually had a Snap On guy tell me once "That is because you shouldn't be torqueing that hard with a wrench".... have you ever worked on a suspension in your life buddy?

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

that's my second biggest complaint about Snap-On. the first is the price...

and I don't like their warranty claims either. if you bust the ratchet, they just replace the internals whereas anyone else would give you a whole new one.

9. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

snap on wrenches suck, they make em so thin it's like grabbing a knife...

but they do make specialty tools nobody else has...

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, Craftsmen gives you a refurbed one now, but I'm fine with that. I was happier seeing them go to the tool cage and picking up a new one off the rack though.

Also, I hate their lies. SnapOn loves to tell us that we get a 50% discount on EVERYTHING at my school. WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRONG. We can only buy certain items in a special catalog, only a few items are actually 50% off(items you don't care about usually) the rest are a very mild discount, and we can only buy so much worth of tools.

Whereas Mac, they give you a real 50% discount on their entire catalog. A friend is just about to place a $14k order with them. He spent a few hundred with Snap On.

Only thing I've found I liked from Snap On was the DVOMs they have. Likely the only tool I will purchase from them. I can't think of any specialty tools they sell I would care to have. Though I am sure there are a few that I would like that I don't get a discount on.

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i dont like snap on wrenches or ratchets, the wrenches are to thin and bend, and the ratches arnt comfortable,

i have a set of snap on metric wrenches and a set of MAC standard wrenches and my mac 3/8 wrench is thicker than my snapon 19mm wrench, plus about 100$ less

12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

When I went thru the GM ASEP program in '89 we had all the major tool suppliers come in. By the end of the 2 yr program those that bought the MAC sets had replaced alot of tools with snap-on. I personally worked with a fellow that almost all of his tools were craftsman. Every week he would take in a bag of broken tools for sears to warranty.

For the weekend warrior craftsman are adequate. When making a living with your tools I'd prefer Matco, Mac and Snap-on. I have a mix of all 3. Snap-on impact swivels were the tightest angle when I bought mine, prefer their sockets. Mac has some real nice long extensions, 1/2" input 3/8 output for bellhousing bolts. It really bites when a cheap socket rounds off the nut or bolt you are trying to remove, being paid on flat rate and all.

Also boils down to service. Who is your best rep? We had some real good snap-on drivers that were easy to work with. The Mac guy was a real pain. We didn't see a Matco driver for several years.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What do lesbians and mechanics have in common???..... they both use snap-on tools.... :haha: :haha: :haha:

I think Snap-on makes the best tools out there.

Lately I have been buying cheaper tools like Pittsburg, they have a lifetime warranty, are fully polished, and are better quality than Craftsman for half the price. I turn wrenches %75 of my job and have a complete F600 service truck that I use almost everyday, filled with mostly Pittsburg and Craftsman tools.

I would like to have all Snap on but can't afford the price.

Craftsman is JUNK, I HATE all their products from wrenches to weed eaters. My Craftsman ratchets, and ratcheting wrenches are JUNK. My cheaper Pittsburg tools are much better quality.

I can't get my "expensive" 4 stroke craftsman weedeater to be anything but trouble some.

I hate Craftsman!

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I get all my high quality tools ay my local garage sales.I will have nothing, Nothing but the best quality used tools in my box. There is a tool sale every saturday. The .10 cent box is my favorite. Also the garage sale man sometimes has some great used parts like 14BFFs cheap :D

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Then your sales weasel sucks! Ours just wants you order one thing off the 50% list and he bills the whole thing that way.

If you haven't used a Fluke meter try one before buying a Snap-On.

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't blame Craftsman though, blame MTD or Ryobi. They're the ones that made it.

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That's the deal they give us locally too... and the deal only stands for a single purchase. :surepal:

18. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I own outright approximatly 45K worth of tools, 50% Snap on, 35% Mac, and the rest is matco/craftsman and crap I have made when I couldn't buy what I needed (custom bent wrenches) a kickass Mac air compressor, and a mac engine hoist and engine stand, the Mac guy here is tough to get a hold of ,but when you do catch him he takes care of problems, no ??? asked, that pile ofsh!t Snap on guy doesnt want to warranty anything for me, sounds like it's time to call kennosha ands solve this little Snapon problem! :mad:

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'm glad I never had a Snap-On guy like that. It's not like they pay for the broke stuff.

20. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have broken three sockets (Chrome) from Craftsman in my time working on semi trucks. Two were 12 point 1/2" with 3/8" drive that broke when using them with my IR Titanium 1/2" at full blast removing u-joint bolts. The other was a 12 point 19mm socket I broke when I was 16 tightening lugs on my s10 with a breaker bar. Other than that? No problems. I've been using Pittsburgh wrenches with really great results.