Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap-On

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by MTChevy, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I get a 50% discount while I am here in school. Would it be a good idea to take advantage of this? Even with 50% off it still seems high, of course ive never really bought any tools. I am just getting into this career and what would be your guys' suggestions for tools? Thanks in advance

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Do it. I get 50% off Mac while I was at school. I bought lots. And in canada now we can write off tool expenses upto a set amount at tax time.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Buy as much as you can....

Snappy is the way to go for screwdrivers, ratchets, sockets, punchs/chisels.... Really nice plier stuff too, needlenose, dykes, etc...

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Take the time now to pick up any tools that you are going to use regularly. Ratchets, common sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. The more you use them the more you will realize that nothing else comes close... In quality and price. Tools that you don't use as often, or ones that get destroyed during use (prybars, etc.) I wouldn't worry about. Be careful though, nothing says steal me like a bunch of Snap-on stuff. Your first few years as a tech most of your pay is going to go right back into tools. I would reccomend a techwrench (digital torque wrench) too, in 3/8 drive. If you are looking at boxes, the KRA series is a really good box and really isnt much more expensive than a comparable Craftsman (professional) box, and after the discount you should be able to get a roll cab for way under a grand. Remember this: You can piece together whatever pieces you want to make a set, and their is no real discount to purchasing things in sets, so don't feel that you need to buy sockets all the way to the big sizes right away. Bigger sockets and wrenches can run $20-50 each, or more, easily. Plus, typically, you are going to see the Snap-on (or other quality tool) difference easier in small stuff. I would recommend getting the majority of your 1/4 drive stuff and 3/8 stuff now, up to around 3/4 and 20mm, and the same with the wrenches. If you need to save money, eliminate the Big sizes first. Not sure what you're going to school for, you may not need the small stuff.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

DO it! Use your discount and resell for 25% off, so you can make some money.

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

man, is that a hell of a deal... they had the same deal while i was in vocational school and i didnt really take advantage of it. 50% off is a GREAT discount, if you can afford to buy the stuff and pay for it all when you buy it, DO IT!!!, the discount makes that possible. i was a tech for 4 years and now i sell snap-on tools, my personal advice is about the same as what you've read, but i'd skip on the tech wrench and go right for the tech-angle wrench, its a few bucks more and measures torque angle as well as ft lbs, in lbs and NM.....

if you have any questions about the tools or the processes or warranties, dont hesitate to pm me, ratchets, sockets, wrenches, prybars, screwdrivers, pliers etc.... "there is a difference"... we're the only company that makes our pliers as a pair from the beginning so they fit better and last longer, everyone else makes left and right halves then slaps them together...

7. MTChevy

awesome, thanks!

8. Confedneck79K30

2 paper sacks, one for her, and one for me in case hers falls off...

9. bowtiepower00

My baby...

[​IMG]

Yes it's full... I've got a few Craftsman boxes too, but they are full of craftsman stuff. Now I need to add an end-cab. One of these days I'll step up to a KRL box, but since I'm not wrenching for a living anymore it may be awhile...

10. Confedneck79K30

nice kra410714dpc with usa trim.... im taking a kra410714 combo in shock blue with stainless drawer guards on trade this coming friday in exhange for a kra2418pbo (red classic 96 72x24)... ive been half contemplating keeping it, then getting the paint code and painting my dually... but i think im gonna go with the new corvette burnt orange..

11. bowtiepower00

I love this box. I use the top of the chest for most of my 1/4 and 3/8 drive stuff, makes 'em easier to get to. A friend of mine does blasting and powdercoating, I'm thinking about leaving the drawers black and coating the boxes hugger orange. There really is no comparison between this thing and lesser boxes, and this thing is bottom of the line by Snap-on standards. Everything is keyed alike, and I also have the Black cover for it. I will say this: My top chest, stuffed so full of hand tools that I could not fit one more thing in it, weighed less than my friend's KRL top chest did EMPTY! Unbelievably stout. I've thought about becoming a dealer myself, as much as I love the tools.

12. ryoken

Just moved mine for the 3rd time in 6 months.. Hopefully it's at it's current spot for awhile.. weighs about 1200 lbs empty... :eek1:

This last time I left my tools in, forked the side locker, than the rollcab and top as a unit... I can't imagine what they weighed... :doah: They are STUFFED! :haha:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  13. bowtiepower00

Yeah, moving em is a PITA!!!! Your top chest is the same size as the one I was referring to in my last post. Sweet box. It's amazing how fast they fill up. Boxes are just like shops, they can never be big enough.

14. ryoken

Yup, started with that rollcab ages ago.. In hindsight I wish I had a triple bank... I'm at the point the only thing I can add is another side locker... Tho there is only a foot or so on either side of my box in it's current spot, so I couldn't fit anything anyway... :doah: :haha:

The locker was a kicka$$ addition... :D

15. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

matco tools also gives up to 55 % off tools if your a student. I bought a crapload of them when i was in school. Matco toolboxes are the best in my opinion its cool to buy the top and bottom box for 1/2 off

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

DO IT!!! buy as much as you possible can!! while i was in school i got 50% off snapon and matco... i bought a lot of stuff, but now im out of school and im paying over $700 a month for tools.

17. ryoken

:eek1: :eek1: :crazy: :eek1: :eek1: :whistle: :thinking: :eek1:

Holy yit! And I thought I was a tool nut..... :haha:

18. MTChevy

i am a tool fanatic too, just never owned a quality set before

19. Confedneck79K30

buy yourself a snapon ratchet and set of sockets to start if you really want to feel a difference... and a set of wrenches... get the flankdrive plus wrenches, you'll love knowing you can use your 1/2" wrench open end to break the heads off bolts...

20. bowtiepower00

Yeah, in more than one instance when my pneumatic impact wouldn't loosen something- even with the PSI cranked up, and I had to get the job done with the tools I had with me, I've had to stand on the head of my 1/2 drive ratchet and SLAM the handle with my 48 oz dead blow to break something loose.... Haven't broke anything yet. I've broken plenty of Craftsman, and SK stuff, however. I have broken other Snappy stuff, but it's always been replaced, no questions asked.