Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap ring failure, tossed a cap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Mar 6, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

motoring along at a steady 35, THUNK!!! on the bed floor; THUMPTHUMPTHUMP immediately thereafter. I first thought blowout, but it still still steered and rolled fine. Pulled over and shut down. Took a look underneath and saw that the rear u-joint had tossed a cap and started to shake like mad. No big deal, easy fix. It could have been more eventful, but I wasn't going very fast when the snap ring apparently failed.

ring_failure_closeup400x300.jpg

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Did it fail, or did you forget it?? I forgot one once, spit the dshaft out at 70 mph.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Nope, they were on there when the nearby front u-joint was replaced a couple of months ago. I should have done them both at that time, even though the rear looked and operated all right, just because even a top-quality u-joint is a relatively cheap part and I had no idea of how old either u-joint was. You live and learn.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

when i drop a shaft for a joint it gets both or all 3 if its a 2 peice shaft. :rolleyes: at least it didnt drop and take out other parts.