Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

snap ring pliers for tcases...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm going to be doing lots of np205/np203 disassembly and rebuilding in the near future. Having done a little bit of it before, I can tell that a good set of snap ring pliers is a must-have item. Right now I am making due with some el-cheapo HF pliers. Bent one set... and it takes forever to get things done with the others. Can someone recommend a set of snap ring pliers that is good for these beefy t-case snap rings?

j

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Stephen @ ORD has a magic trick involving two big flathead screwdrivers ... I've no idea how it works, as after an hour of fighting and swearing and two phone calls to the man, it suddenly went BOING and I was done, so I thanked The Powers That Be and called it good.

I had no luck with even the big pair of Lisle pliers I bought for the purpose.

-- A

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

All I have ever used is flat head screw drivers. :confused:

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I used a set of Snap-On "GM transmission" snap ring pliers. They worked flawlessly. Using a screwdriver seems pretty tough, those snap rings on the 205 are huge!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

These are the perfect tools for the job. I used them on my NP203 and a 241 i did at school. I need to get a set. They are much larger and heavier than standard snap ring pliers. I have used them in a few transmission rebuilds at school too(why my school had them).

6. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

i have one set of fixed spring assisted sk snap ring pliers as well as a set of otc reversible snap ring pliers. i love both sets.

7. k5rocker

k5rocker Registered Member

I cussed those heavy t-case snap rings for years and buggared more than one before buying a Snap-On SRP1A set that have 90* tips with checkered outside edges which are the the berries for getting those heavy, angle-tipped rings on and off without damage to either the ring or the nice polished shaft surface they must slide over to come off. Hopefully you can track down a snap-on vendor in your area. This part number is what is called "GM transmission front output shaft pliers" by us Perfeshonal Meckananicks.

OOps, just saw after I posted that 38377K5 already said that.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have both kd tools (about 14 bucks)and snap ons(same).... I tried a bunch of others.. these two work... and so does my circa 1945 craftsmans(25 cents at the swap meet)... they wouldnt bend if you drove a tank over them....
    the screwdriver method leaves me swearing up a storm

cam