Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snap-ring pliers

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by BadDog, Jul 1, 2006.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What are the BEST VALUE snap-ring pliers out there now? I broke the non-replaceable tit off my favorite pair (some 25+ years old) and thought I might get one of these KD pliers. Any other suggestions?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The KD pliers that you linked is the same pair that I've had for years and have never had any issues with.

3. BadDog

Thanks for the info, good to know someone actually uses it and is happy with it.

And what's up with the rest of you tool junkies on here? ;) Nobody has a good or bad story with snap ring pliers? :D I thought about Blue Point or Snap-On fixed point or changeable points. The "body" seems much nicer on the changeable points, rather than the stamped steel of the fixed points. But really, who cares for typical home shop use? It's not like they are going to cut into my hands or something using them day in and out. Then again, changing points for every different ring might not be much fun.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've never liked the changeable points myself. But if you were to look in the pliers drawer of my toolbox, you'd see a crappy pair of Craftsman changeables. Different tips, and flip a lever to change from inside to outside. I couldn't afford a few different pairs when I was using them every day, so I was as careful as possible; did OK with them. Only broke one tip, and just before it broke I said to the guy holding the part "If I tweak this ring enough to get it out, I'm gonna break the tips off my pliers".

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, you said "best valued", so I assumed that was a poke at Snappy stuff and you wheren't interested...

But yeah, I run this set of the convertibles... Never found an app they don't cover...

[​IMG]

6. BadDog

I'm not specifically opposed to Snap-On, but generally find that the cost/value is out of line for my home shop needs. I would much rather hear about less expensive options that are "just as good" or even "good enough", but I'll take what I can get. You get to define "value". :D The main thing I want to make sure of is that I don't get another set with "soft" pins that bend on tight rings (typically the small tips)...

7. ryoken

Performance wise the Snappy's are topnotch.... I've had em on some pretty tough ones, Detroit raw pumps, etcs and they've always worked flawless....

Think I paid about $150 on the truck for the set, but I'd bet they could be had for under a c-note on E-Ghey....

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The Channel-Lock brand ones I have look similar to the KDs you linked. The KDs look slimmer at the business end, whitch is the one thing I don't like about mine, a little too chunky. They work for me, but I know they don't see the abuse in in my line of work that Royken's do. I know they are lot better than the pair that is now in my trail box. I think those were "OEM" brand that I got from the parts store.

9. BadDog

Yeah, bulky can be a problem in tight spaces. And it always seems the wrong tip is in when you need to use it. <shrug> Not like I use them all the time, so who cares, right? I just need some good ones that won't bend or break the tits off.

Those snap-ons are nice, but $$$$!

What do you guys think about SK now? I've got some old SK stuff that I like very well, and as far as I know, quality is still good, though I've not bought anything recently. I've been checking out the SK 7670 and 7780 sets.

Or the KD ratcheting pliers?

10. ryoken

That 7780 package looks pretty nice... versatile...

hehe, I was using my set today... :wink1:

11. BadDog

7780 Looks identical to the snap-on set you have. I wonder if they are the same?

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Proto

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have a SK that sat in a flooded tool box for 3 months(I was out of town). The bits became useless chunks of rust. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I kept the tool. When I need to remove a snap ring, I find a finish nail that fits, and make my own tips with with wire cutters. This is what I carry in my trail repair kit, and it works fine,:D

14. BadDog

For good or ill, I finally bought a set after scraping by till I could find something I wanted. Got a set just like the cam lock Snappys posted by ryoken for $48 + $10 ship. Only diff is they say Mac. But looks like the Snaps, Mac, Matco, SK, and others are all the same manufacturer...

15. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

We carry/sell/use SK and Proto at the shop. I like 'em.