Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snapped Axle Shaft -poll-

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Twiz, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity. I'd like to see just how common snapped axle shafts really are. So, If you could, tell me what style of axle was it? Why? Everything counts, 4X4, drags cars, dunes, anything.

I've only saw one. It was a 14 bolt ful floater. The guys RR brake locked up on the freeway, and snaped the axle shaft at the flange (it must have had a locker of some type in it I guess)

Twiztid

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have not personaly seen a 12 bolt fail but I have seen several 10 and D44 fronts fail and I have even seen a D60 front fail (guy has tallent, He's blown apart a NP205 also). Bud snapped a Ford 9in shaft 2 weeks ago. The 9 has stronger shafts. I have seen at least 6 failed D35's in Jeeps.
    I think that the fact that everybody I know that has a 12 carries a spare shaft has thwarted Mr. Murphy's attempt at breaking a 12. We are prepared to deal with it and as you know that is not what Mr. Murphy likes.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have snapped 2 long sides in my 44 and one u-joint in the short side but saved the axle. I have seen a lot of 44's break shafts, but they were being hammered on most of the time.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Blew up my old rear 10-bolt twice (ring/pinion) and broke a few long side shaft/ujoints in my front Dana 44. No problems with the current 1-ton set up so far.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Had a push war with another truck ( okay sometimes you do stupid things) and snapped a rear dana 60 axle in three pieces. Also broke 2 dana 60 stub shafts last year ( rode the wall in a bog and a really realy deep hole )

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

6. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

d44 long side Warn moly shaft. Good thing they back up their warranty.

7. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Between my brother in-law and I we have broken 3 short side 44 front's, I haven't stepped up to after market yet. I'm 4.56 w/38's & a tru trac, he's 4.11 w/33's & a power loc, we both live high up in the Rockies. Iceman

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

1. Rear 10 bolt axle shaft. The front of my Jimmy dropped into an unseen hole and the rear came off the ground over 6 ft and almost rolled. I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and I slid forward and mashed the gas. The rear of the Jimmy came down as the Blazer was floored.. SNAP! Broke the shaft right where it comes out of the carrier. BTW it was a Gov-Lok and the Gov-Lok was unhurt!

2. Front D44 Stub Shaft and mangled short shaft. Was doing a hill climb and had to get on it at the top.Not sure if the fornt did a little hop or what, but SNAP!

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I broke 2 front axle shaft u-joints last year in my 10-bolt. I've seen several other broke axle u-joints in Jeep model 30 fronts and a couple of shafts. A couple of Dana 44 rear shafts on two different Jeeps (both had V-8's and lockers).

10. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    36x12.5x15 SS TSL's climbing a hill(old Nikie Missle Silo), 30 ft. of mud and dirt at least 40% grade(20 Deg's)
    Cement on the top, and a 1.5 to 2 foot lip. Had to use some wheel spin too clear the top, on the third try the
    NP 203 poped out of 4 low, into 2 low tired in 2 low could only thouch the lip, had passenger hold t-case shifter
    in 4 low, the fifth time was the pop/crunch broke the axle stub on the passeger side of the open Dana(Spicer) 44.
    And after getting home discovered that the chain also broke in the NP203, which happened first I still don't know.

12. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Myself:
    - broken 4 D44 front axle shafts, 1 busted at the splines, other three the U-joint broke and took out the shafts, these in my Comanche, Detroit, 36's.
    - twisted (but replaced before broken) rear D44 shaft
    Buddies:
    - broke a Warn D44 shaft, in a Bronco axle under his S-10 Blazer, 35's
    - 10+ front D60 shafts, 36+ size tires, LSD's or lockers, mini-trucks to full-size pickups
    - rear D61, 40's, full-size Chevy
    - rear C14, welded diff/shaft, street truck
    - too many Toyota Birfields to remember, list (as many as 6 in one day)
    - too many front D44's under full-sizes to remember, list
    - too many front Chevy 10-bolts to remember, list
    - too many rear D35's under Jeeps to remember, list
    - handful of 28-spline Ford 9" shafts under old Bronco's.
    - handful front D30's under Jeeps, usually XJ's, 31's
    - "enough" D44 front shafts under old Bronco's\
    - couple Suzuki front Birfields
    - rear D60 under Jeep, 35's (the guy could break anything)

I'd say this is over the past 3-4 years.

--Rob (*everything* breaks!)

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Back when I had the Dana 44, with 35's, I couldn't keep the thing together for the life of me. Installation of an EZ Locker didn't seem to make much difference. I broke short shafts, long shafts, stub shafts, spider gears, etc, and the thing ate Spicer joints like they were candy. This was with 4.56's and a 6.2 NA, then later the 350 stock TBI. I was never really throttle happy when I had the 44, and was always conscious of the front end. No problems yet with the Dana 60 and 39.5s, when I put it in I installed a Detroit and new joints, among other things. I also snap ringed the caps.

I've also witnessed plenty of Dana 30, 35, 44 failures, the occasional 60, and AMC 20 two piece shafts, along with more drop in locker failures than I can count.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

In my old '75 Dodge Power Wagon was a Dana 44. I twisted both axle shafts apart at the u-joints, I have broken the ring gear carrier twice, chipped ring gear, chipped pinion gear and snapped axle shaft clean at the inner spline in the diff. So after the tird front D44 I put in a D60 and never even broke a u-joint, so that was money finally...... well spent!

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers

15. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Friend of mine blew up his rear D35 jeep axle right after the warranty expired. He payed over $2000.00 to fix it all. OUCH!

The bad thing about it is he NEVER even went off road!

16. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

OH..........I forgot! I have'nt broke anything in my Blazer's front 10 bolt, but I just changed it over to a Dana44 8-lug so we'll see how it goes.

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I broke both u-joints and all 4 pices of the axle shaft in my D44 front (small 30 year old u-joints) during a full throttle assult of a hill.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

18. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've snapped two in my life - one was a Dana 60 rear on a 78 F250, the other was a Rockwell on a 88 Ford C8000.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have snaped many drive line u-joints twisted one rear drive line(78 olds cuttlas with a 455) and grenaded my 12 bolt R&P

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Wow! Where the ---- was I during all this?

Twiztid