Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

snatch strap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Jun 27, 2000.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i've seen this term several times on this board. i'm aware that is used to pull people out of trouble, but beyond that, i'm unsure.
    what, exactly is this? where is it available? and how is it properly used?
    i dig wheelin, and pulling stuck trucks outta the muck. i wanna do it the best way, to avoid damage to my rig, and best utilize the power i have.
    thanks

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, I think a snatch 'block' is the device that has a wheel incased in a metal frame so that you can double up the winch line for more pull power or to change the angle so mabie a snach 'strap' is the tree saver strap that the snach block hooks too!!???????

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

around here a snatch strap is a wide like 6" wide strap that is use to snatch not just pull and it is a lot better than a chain and is like a high lift you dont leave home with out it the one I have is 3" W and 30'L I am going to get a 6"er soon hopefuly come on I know You guy use tow straps they are one in the same around here that is

[​IMG]Go prepared

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Some people call them recovery straps. I have one 4" thick rated at 40,000lbs. You will need one rated at least 30,000lbs for a blazer.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Summit sells a couple for 40 to 50 bucks, I think I have even seen them at AutoZone or one of those kind of places.
    They are actually called recovery straps when you go and buy them. Snatch strap is just acommon slang term. They come in various lengths and capacities.
    I "acquired" mine when I was in the military.
    The best part about using a snatch strap is they are elastic when 2 trucks are hooked up to them, just atatch one end to the stuck truck and the other to the recovery truck, get a little slack, and haul ass! hehe

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Snatch straps are the only way to go...There kind of elastic, so when they get stretched out, they have a tendency to snap back. That's what gives it that extra ooomph needed to snag your truck out of the goo. Oh, by the way, CHAINS ARE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL !! There is always a weak link in a chain and when it breaks .....look out ! I went wheelin' with some guys once and a dude got stuck, they pulled out a chain and lo and behold half way through the recovery....POP ! There went the chain. It came wizzing back toward the recovery truck and went right through the front windsheild and hit the passenger square in the shoulder, shattering his collar bone ! NOT GOOD ! He's lucky it didn't tag him in the head or he may have died. Needless to say, I don't trust those links. On that note, Please be carefull out there guys ! Always think of what you're doing out on the trails. It sure would put a damper on the fun if someone was seriously hurt because you didn't take the extra time to do things safe. Happy wheelin' !!
    L8r,

.Riz.

7. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I guess its a regional thing becuase around here a "snatch strap" usually is slang term for a G-Sting or a thong.. bud dump bump (cyble crash) sorry guys its late and that seemed funny to me.. Hope I didn't offend anyone

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

LOL Zack. OK, here's my $0.02. A snach strap has some elsticity to it. This gives you that little extra that is sometimes needed. Watch out the el cheapo ones at Wal-Mart & Auto Zone dont give. You get what you pay for. Dont go over board if the strap is too heavy duty it wont streach. The 6" wide straps make great tree savers, though. Two or three inch straps seem to be about right for a full size. I would say the 3" is right on the money. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

9. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

When you buy one make sure you buy heavy duty and don't get one with metal ends I saw a guy get killed at Pismo Beach by one of those the hook came off the vehicle he was pulling and hit him int the back of his head.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Be careful when using the strap on smaller rigs(ie tracker, samuris etc) because if you give it too much gas the smaller vehicle could literally fly out and crash into you!

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

11. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, so if i get the model with no metal hooks on the ends, how do you attach it to the two vehicles?
    and how much slack do i allow?
    and do i floor-board the bejeezus outta it?

(i just don't want to be the guy everyone talks about with the hook in my head. or a sammi up my ass)

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

This is what I do, If I am doing the pulling the I whip out the reciver hitch pin (that hold the reviver inplace)stick the end of the strap into the reciver hole then pook the pin thru the eye and secure the pin with it's keeper. For the front I have D-rings on my bumper and I use a clevis(U shaped deal that has a screw in type bolt that closes the top of the U)to attach to the hoop at the end of the strap. If in a bind then you could run the strap thru its own hole and sinch it down that way.
    Too pull I just have a slight bitOslack and then give it a fair amount of gas but not to the floor, just like pullin a skier out of the water..........
    Hope this makes sence and helps
    PS we can practice at Pismo Beach in Aug. if you want[​IMG]
    We can get stuck on purpose[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

13. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Explorer Procomp makes a 20, 30, and 40,000 strap, along with a tree strap. We used the 30,00 this weekend to pullout a fellow blazer, and it worked great. Goto www.macromotive.com, they have all of them available for a reasonable price.