Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sniper in 4wheeler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Aug 25, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Why did the guy who owns the Sniper in the latest 4 Wheeler magazine use a 700R4 with 44" swamps? He can't take it on the street at all, I think the article said something about weight, but if that was the case what's with the 2-1/2 ton axles? With the light weight of the sniper why not Dana 60's front and rear, TH400 and Atlas or doubler?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure,but that thing is pretty impressive though.Is that the same guy that made the scorpion?Hey Steve, maybe he wanted to get good gas milage climbing those rocks =)Heh later...

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

The Form for top truck says "Must be insured,street legal,and registered. It also said not to have any commercial writing on the vehichle. Which would be stickers for companies. Notice on page 37 that he has "9" stickers. They are not going by there rules . We all know that thing is not street leagal.

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well, it depends on the state that he is from, as far as the legality issues are concerned. Besides the rules can state "no stickers". Though he can put them on after the inital inspection. And for photo shoots he can stick them on, then remove them when the finals come.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would guess he's using the 700r4 for the low 3.06:1 gear ratio as compared to the 2.48 or so of the TH400. I also thought I remember reading in one of the mags that he broke one of those 2 1/2 ton front axles in one of the rockcrawling championships.....holy cow!!!
    I haven't gotten the issue yet to take a good look at the Sniper, but I don't know any reason why it couldn't be street legal. It's not any different than a rail buggy or the Scorpion, and I'm pretty sure it had plates on it in the last Top Truck Challenge.
    BTW, the Scorpion MK1 was built by Soni Honneger (sp??), the Snipers are built by Steve Rumore of Avanchle Engineering.

6. CK5

If that's the case, then I would like someone to put some ColoradoK5.com stickers on that thing!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I would probably agree with 6.2 Blazer. The lower first gear is the reason that kept the 700r4 in mine.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

8. CK5

I understand the low gears, hell, he could have gone with the NP241 for even lower gears instead of the 205. He is running 6:53 gears or something like that but he is not running any kind of low gear t-case like an Atlas or doubler, just seems a little strange for such an extreme rig. Maybe with that low of gears he dosen't feel he needs one.

[​IMG]

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

He could also be going for the whole weight thing. I mean if I were doing the design I would want it to be balanced. The options he had compiled might have tipped the scales at a weight non-negotiable for his purpose. Besides for all we know it could have been just laying around!!! To keep the $$$ to an earthly amount. BTW, I like your article on the Kayline top. I just cant figure out which one to buy.

10. CK5

Thank's actually Mudzer wrote the review on the Kayline. As a side note the Can-Back dosen't leak anymore at the cab, which is a relief.

[​IMG]

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I still cant figure out which one to buy. Sorry about the confusion Mudzer, great article.

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I got to see the first sniper up close in moab 2 years ago before it was ever in a mag.It had Co. plates on it and all lights.I think that one had 60s on it maybe a 44 in front?It did pretty well on Potatoe Salad Hill.It didn't walk right up it though.I would love to have one!!!!They have a 4 seat chassis they sell or it can be turn key for around $45.000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is alot of K5s!!!!!!Brady

13. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

how did you get the can back to stop leaking Steve?
    Kelboski

14. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Steve, he is coming to our event out here on Labor day. I will personally ask him and get updated stats for ya! Also we are trying like hell to get some obstacles ready to hose him. We will see! Take care... Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

15. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

16. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Sniper....jeez I read about this thing so much I'm sick of it....If ones throw enough money at anything it will do everything...What ever happened to sweating over and bleeding in a K5, making your stuff from scatch, building something up and being damn proud of all the work and how well it was built...<font color=red>BY YOU!!!</font color=red> not going out and buying something someone built up for you! Top truck challenge case in point....my God all the money in those machines...need to put a<font color=green> top dollar </font color=green>limit on them and see how much intelligence surfaces then[​IMG]...I for one am impressed by a well running, performing rig, ilregardless of it's bolt ons and stickers, a rig that the owner has spent countless hours crawling under, around sweating the working on [​IMG]not sending it to four wheel perf, or the like to have the work done!![​IMG]

Rantin and ravin' today

<font color=blue> White Knight</font color=blue>

17. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Wow, touched a nerve A. So because I havnt done every littlething to my truck, because one of my best freinds actually owns Diamond Offroad in Grapevine,Texas and he really knows his stuff and I love the work he does. Because in the last 8 months I have spent well over 10k building a tuff, well built, strong as anything out there Blazer what does it mean??? To me it means that i work 70 hours a week so that I can pay for my ride to be built by an excellent guy w crap loads of experience. I want my truck to work. I want it to kick ass. So does that make me a bad person, or less of a wheeler. Now dont get me wrong, I spend many many nights working with Scott on my truck, (when I have the time) But I work hard for what I have. I wish I had the time to build my truck in my driveway, but A: i want Scotts 15+ years of experience in my truck. and B) I work on cars all day long and just dont have the energy at the end of the day to put into my rig for another 8 hours at night. My god, with the amount of work that I have had done it would have taken me years to do it in the driveway. Anyway. just my .02

[​IMG]

18. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I also think that those machines are extremly cool to see work. I would rather have my k5 but I see the atraction to them. I also think that the guys who build them have spent mucho mucho time blood sweat tears knuckles etc etc o n them.

[​IMG]

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I don't have the bucks to just hand over my truck and let someone else do the work (Mortgage, Kids etc)
    I like bolt ons for their simplicity, but I am more impressed with someones ingenuity than their disposable income. DBLAZER I know how I feel after a 60 hour week so I understand about not working on your own truck in your free time. Kind of a classic catch 22 when you've got the time for it you don't have the money, when you've got the money you don't have the time.
    What I like about K5's is that they can do so many things well, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing the 'Sniper' in traffic as a daily driver or towing a trailer to go on holidays with the family. Just my 2 cents

[​IMG]

20. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Hey don't get me wrong, those muscle bound trucks are cool[​IMG], just get tired of article after article on 40,000 dollar trucks[​IMG]....the majority of 4x4'rs don't throw that kind of money at their trucks..ergo more articles on the muscled up trucks, that went up without the use of steroids and personnel trainers[​IMG]. I have yet to see a truck where I go offroading that has that kind of money in it, but I do see lotz of rigs that will climb anything, go anywhere, do everything and didn't cost over 10,000, and they're neat to look at and see all the ingenius ways this was accomplished, and the drivers have the info on how to do it, because they did it.

To ya'll that pay to have it done...cool[​IMG] glad you got the money and sorry you have to work so hard and long for that money,(takes away from playing in the dirt)Hopefully some day when the rigs built and you're not working so hard you can go enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    I've been there averaged 73 hours a week for six years, made some damn good money, spent it all, my kids went through 6 years of their life I don't remember, now its 40 a week, kids are gone to their lives now so I play in the dirt every time I get the chance, or sweat, bleed and curse my K5 every chance I get[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].

Lifes meant to enjoy!!!!
    <font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>