Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

snorkel and a few kc's hooked up.. still problems...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Feb 11, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

On 2005-02-09 18:16, RootBreaker wrote:
    Ok so finally I got my snorkel setup...
    now I have to test it out...
    Ok so this is how it goes...

All PVC and 1 coupler from Home Depot
    1 ARB Safari Snorkel for XJ80 Land Cruizer to fender
    2 Snorkel to rubber coupler (for piecing PVC to Steel)
    3 rubber coupler to a white PVC piece Coupler
    4 PVC coupler to 3" Black PVC
    5. Black PVC to 3" 45 degree black PVC elbow
    6. Black Elbow to 3" Black PVC
    7. Black PVC to Rubber coupler (provided with snorkel)
    8. Rubber coupler to hacked off breather
    9. Since I have a Holley... GMC Van 3" air breather adapter pushes breather away from carb

So all looks good but is it functional??? Will have to test...

Mounted up my relays for the KC's
    Here is the best part.. If you ever want to do this... and own a chevy pickup.... buy the relays out of a 1989 Olds 88. there are 8 relays and 16 fuses in this bohemith....
    So here is the cool part.. there are 2 mounting screws on the firewall that matchup to the relay unit. The relay unit sits on a slight angle.. but oh well... Fricken A....

Setup:
    1. Mounted Relay unit to firewall
    2. I took 1 power line and ran it to the middle of the relay box which is used to put power to all the fuses.
    3. Wired 2 lights together (2 outters together and 2 inners together) This allowed not too much amp pull on the relays... both hots with red and both grounds with black
    4. black wires through radiator support and to firewall. (Had problems and there is a reason why I went to the firewall. I will explain later)
    5. Red wires up to the relays 30 I think
    6. Ran hot from other side of fuses to relay
    7. Ran ground to where the headlights ground to
    8. Ran other relay wires into cab, joined together and to same switch

So that was easy... I had problems but oh well. 1 switch controls all 4 lights. In the future I may put 2 switches in as I am out of room. I was able to put 4 switches in the spot but I am using 3 of them. I will be freeing up 2 of them in the future allowing me to use 2 for front.

now the wiring problem I had.. I drew this up a few months ago.. I sat down and searched the internet. Once I got it drawn up I sat in my livingroom and emulated all this on my floor with wire, switch, relay, light and jump box.. I got it all working...

So now it is months later and I walk outside to do this... I got all the steps above done with the exception of this...

I ran the relay ground to the kc ground. The lights didnt work and I realized what I did. I then cut the wire in half and put a yellow connector with the loop at the end on and put the grounds for the kc's and the relays with the headlight ground. Now the problem:

Turn on the kc's and the headlights come on... even the highbeams.

I am not sure why but did fixit... I took the kc grounds and ran them seperate to the firewall and it fixed it. I could have easily put the relay's ground to the firewall. But now it all works.

I will put pics up later. I wanted to put this up here first. I just installed windows 2003 Enterprise Server on my machine and need to get the IIS part working :wall

So since I lost my job I can do some things that are FREE that I have been putting off.... :silly

aight pics

relays
    [​IMG]

snorkel
    [​IMG]

bigger pics
    relays
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/193830/original/relays.jpg

snorkel
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/193832/original/snorkel.jpg

now a few problems... ground wires still messing with me...
    should I just run straight to the battery for ground on all this stuff???
    danget... I hate wiring... now I took my son to school today... realized my tach and radio do not work now.... Wonder if it is the fricken grounding problem.... maybe I will just ground them to the dagon battery

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

How well doen the rubber seal to the breather case? I know banks makes a roung output that might work better. Its from the banks stinger kit for the 6.2's. Its the piece between the Y pipe on the top right.

[​IMG]

Just a thought

Steve

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, can't really help you with the wiring problem from this far away. But you're on the right track, grounds are the most common problem with wiring other than corroded battery terminals. As for your snorkel, I'd love to see pics of the outside of it to see how well that model safari snorkel fits the lines of the truck.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got one of those relay centers in my truck for my TPI setup. Only issue I have is that I couldn't find any of those big fuses that were smaller than 30 amps... I mean, the smallest one I need is 20 amps, so no big deal, but I'd like to put a set of 20s / 30s in there rather than all 30s.

5. steve_kibbe

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  6. RootBreaker

ahh the snorkel fits like it was grown there... :grin:
    sorry for the slow connection... moved my server in the house.. running windows 2003 enterprise server on a wireless 11mb connection :frown1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

top sticks out a bit... I basically still have to mount the top to the cab. I dont know how I am going to do that yet. they give you a bracket but it is too short. I bought metal and may just screw it to the snorkel like you are supposed to and weld it to the cab.
    All in all... I held the patter on the fender, traced out the holes, drilled and it fit good. The passenger door can open up and has 1/2" clearance to the snorkel......
    if ya need any other info lemme know....

7. RootBreaker

how did he get his so low? mine is above the roof... maybe he used a different one..... all in all.. It still works.. but I do like the clean roof to snorkel line....:cool1:

8. RootBreaker

Well I am not going to tread streems with my truck... only needed the snorkel for the occasional.... 80' hole that you dont know how deep it is... then attack it, get in and out... get stuck in it and im taking on water...but I will try and waterproof it at another date...

9. RootBreaker

I have 20amp all the way to 60's in there... you can buy them at the local parts store????
    my relay unit (not clean as I have tons of wires not hooked up yet) is out of a 1989 olds 88
    is there supposed to be a cap on it protecting the relays? I have those 2 plastic pieces that stick out and was wondering if something was supposed to clip onto it?????:confused:

10. steve_kibbe

He says he heated his up to make it fit better. Its in the captions, page 6 I think

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Snorkel looks great. I've been wondering how to make one of those fit my 'Burb. Looks like your write-up and a heat gun and I am in business.

12. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i would cut it say halfway up the windshield then splice in a rubber union that way you can pull it over to the cab-roof and mount it properly and also get it out of harms way!

13. steve_kibbe

you could cut it, but I wouldn't. I'd rather heat it up. If you cut it, thats just another place it can leak.:o