Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

snorkel kits for 88-98 trucks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 8, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

hey, im lookin for a snorkel kit for my truck, and i cannot find any. anyone know of a snorkel kit that will fit a '97 yukon? i'd make one, but i want it to look good as well (PVC pipe is too much on a new sheetmetal truck). thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hey, im lookin for a snorkel kit for my truck, and i cannot find any. anyone know of a snorkel kit that will fit a '97 yukon? i'd make one, but i want it to look good as well (PVC pipe is too much on a new sheetmetal truck). thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt recomend taking an EFI engine in a situation where you would need a snorkel. you're asking for major electrical problems.

3. thezentree

been there, done that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

no, seriously, i dont plan on taking it in water any deeper than the tops of the tires, but ive already waterlogged the engine in a foot deep puddle, so if i plan on doing stuff like that anymore, a snorkel is pretty necessary.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Exactly what did you do to waterlog in 1 ft of water????

I took it through this, with EFI, and this is the smaller of the water holes. (truck is stock in this pic except for 33" MT's)

[​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

FJ60 Land cruiser is the closest out there. That's what was used on the burb in that valcano movie. Do a search and there should be plenty of posts with pictures.

Why does everybody think snorkles are only for water?

They also help in dusty condtions. They get the intake above the heaviest silt in the air and help keep the air filter from clogging up.

6. thezentree

i hit the hole at like 40mph a few times. yes, i went through it slowly a few times, it was just hard sand at the bottom. we went thru holes like that all day, so i can see how the intake got wet.

grim, that FJ kit, is the windshield rake similar to a IFS truck's?

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/product.htm

I think sucking air out of the fender is good enough. Any deeper than the waterpump and you're going to have other problems anyway. Sucking it out of the fender (high in the fender, of course) keeps water from being splashed in and also sucks in cold air. I've run bodyline deep in my 84 and didn't get any water in anything but my parents and I did get wet feet. Of course, my truck is waterproofed (except for bad door seals) up to the distributor.

8. thezentree

those safari kits arent made for GM vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. CyberSniper

Snorkels for FJ60s with the 2F/3F engine are supposed to fit pretty well. I'm pretty sure the 2F/3F one has a shorter body than the 3FE one. I know it's been done a bunch of times using FJ60 snorkels but I don't know much more than that.

You also might want to look into Cherokee/Xterra snorkels.

I don't know, email ARB and I bet you'll get a reply. I imagine if you tell them that a bunch of people at CK5 are wondering they'd say "hmm, new potential customer base" and be tickled pink to find out if they already have something that can be adapted.

10. thezentree

lol, yea, and since i was the one to bring it to their attention, maybe they'd make a TheZenTree Signature series of snorkels and i could get a commission....not. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i will look into those FJ60 kits. thanks

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Actually I emailed them a month or so ago, and got the reply that they have no plans to make anything for a vehicle design as old as ours was and they will not recommend something that is a "close" fit for our rigs, unless they have designed it specifically for the truck in question.

So after all that I've decided to get the FJ60 unit along with filter cans from this place.
    Intense Air

This will make the system very nice and sealed and servicable! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. CyberSniper

Yeah, some companies like that tend not to be "real" and understand that if they make something that they can at least break even with tooling costs it will bring them more customers due to word of mouth and they'll buy a snorkel for their girlfriend's XJ just so they can be blingin'. They're the same type of companies that have a habit of not making anything modular.

I've heard a lot about those canisters recently. What's so special about them? You can find things the same size on a lot of GM trucks but they were used as silencers. I'd probably cheat anyway and make one out of well casing.

A couple interesting reads:
    http://moab.off-road.com/pipermail/chevy4x4/msg00559.html
    http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/zjsnorkel.htm

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I just like the fact that it flows so much better than anything else I've seen. Means my engine will still be able to really breathe when I open her up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The GM style stuff really isn't able to seal up as well as this does (then again I'm not gonna run underwater and test it)

And these things are basically designed to work with snorkles, but marketed for guys looking for bling bling!