Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snorkel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyman562, Apr 10, 2004.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

Does anyone know if there is a snorkel kit avail for 73'-87' chevy's. If not how have you guys made them. I was thinking of using 3" or 4" pvc pipe. I jus need to figure out how to mount it onto the carb. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they don't make one for out trucks, but an arb for a fj 40 fits almost perfect.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Not the FJ40, it's the FJ60....or was it the FJ80... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...damn, I can't remember...

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really want to know too. Looks like I won't have to sell the K5 and I want a snorkel kit. I like the idea of the ARB unit, just need to know what year, make, and model to order for.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am considering doing one out of PVC pipe and then painting it black. Have seen a few around and as long as it is painted, looks pretty good.

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am considering doing one out of PVC pipe and then painting it black. Have seen a few around and as long as it is painted, looks pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might look into correguated (sp?) drainage pipe (but be sure you avoid the perferated type). It's pretty flexible (so it's save $$ on fittings). Also, depending upon the configuration of air box/breather, might look at the "adapter" to go from the pipe (4"?) to guttering (2"X3"), can find all this at local home improv. center.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have often considered going all the way under the truck with the pipe and up into the bed. It's rare that water would splash up into the bed.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

The Safari Snorkle from ARB for an FJ80 fits. Its what was used on the Burb in Dante's Peak. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The Safari Snorkle from ARB for an FJ80 fits. Its what was used on the Burb in Dante's Peak. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Kewl, that's what I wanted to know. So a FJ80 what ??? Toyota, Jeep, ...ect. I don't know chit about those thangs.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I like the snorkel idea on the blazer from ORD. It comes through the firewall and hangs in between the driver and passenger side seats I think. I might do that to the blazer after it's finsihed...

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

12. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

Check out this dude's site he has modified the Toyota kit for his burb. I have installed 4 of these kits on buddiies Land cruisers and one on a Lexus LX450 (same thing, more bling) and one on my nieghbors Range Rover. I had a Jeep with one when I bought it. The Safari (brand) kits are sweet but expensive.
    Here's the link: http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/176055/1

13. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have often considered going all the way under the truck with the pipe and up into the bed. It's rare that water would splash up into the bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never ran one (snorkle)but I'd probably re-think running it this way for a couple reasons. Damage to it would be one, legnth would be another (adds more restriction), and if you ran it down, then back up, in essence you'd be creating a "trap" (look @ the drain plumbing under your sink @ home).

I loved to watch them run those swamp-buggies down in Florida (on TV). What do you guys do for cooling fans in deep water? Stock belt-driven? Or electric ?