Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snorkel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SlyDog, Dec 12, 2000.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Im just wonderin if anyone here has or ever has had an exterior snorkel on their blazer? I've seen them on some toys and hummers but i just wanna know if you've had one? Thx

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You can make one work for an FJ60(that is that one I believe) from ARB.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Yeah ive heard about that But "when" i get my blazer i wanna make a custom one for 15$ instead of pay 200-300$ im lookin for some plans

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ooppss.. Sorry, I thought that is what you meant. I think TXmudder or Thunder made their own snorkel, hoepfull they will reply and help! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I saw a custom one on a big old Ford that used Semi-truck radiator hose for plumbing. It is 4" in diameter. The toughest part of a snorkel design, IMO, is figuring out which part of your truck to cut to run the snorkel up.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Heck Blue85, that's easy! Cut the fender that already has the most/biggest dents. [​IMG]

Actually, I think you'd want to do it on the right side. It would block a larger part of your field of view mounted on the left (unless you've got a right hand drive K5!) [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the help i was gonna put it on the left but your right about blockin vision but it takes more tubing! lol how come more people dont have snorkles if it saves your engine ( i know some guys never see water so dont say that but the majority due i think)

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Everybody doesn't have one because 1) Snorkels aren't exactly the most beautiful thing(to yuppies) to add to your truck 2) They cost a lot if you dont build it yourself 3) Most people dont go SCUBA diving in their truck, so they dont need one, I usually stop once I cant see the tires anymore(usually[​IMG]) 4) And most people dont like to hack a big hole in the fender[​IMG]. If your going for waterproofing, dont forget the plugs and wires, Jacobs makes a set of sealed wires. Get a Optima battery. Seal the distributor or at least cover it, remember it still has to breath somehow so drill a small hole and install a vent tube. You cant really do anything for the alternator, except make more drain holes so the water can get out faster and easier. Get a electric fan and switch it off while diving in, I heard that the stock type fan doesn't like to play prop and chews the hell outta the raditor and splashes water all over the place. Dont forget to extend the vents on the axles, tranny, and t-case. If your going really extreme look into extending your exhaust exit to above the roofline(so if it stalls water wont get sucked up through the pipes), sealed headlights, even waterproof gauges, wetsuits, masks etc...I think that's mostly everything[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey there Blazerguy, thanks for the referral! I built my own snorkel for about 25.00. Like they say, the hardest part (on the nerves) is actually cutting the hole in the fender. I admit I went to the extreme, but after wrecking a motor in the mud races up here one year, I swore it wouldnt happen again! I have never been in water that deep, the motor that I wrecked ingested a lot of mud and water from the splash under the hood when I hit the deep part of the pit. I will probably will never be that deep either, but I have waterproofed the motor to the point that if I do run into something unforeseen (like a volcano erupting and I have to cross a raging river aka Dantes Peak) I can be fairly sure I am safe. Of course I dont hold much faith in the motor staying running if it was completely submerged, but the occasional large splash under the hood will not stall me. The points mentioned in the posts above are very good ones. My distributer is regasketed with silicon, both ends of the wires are sealed with Vaseline, the diff and t-case vents are up under the hood, and I installed electric fans. As for the interior, there is no way that I can keep water out, so I just turn off all the electronics, and make sure it can drain asap. Dont turn anything on until its completely dry also.

Good Luck

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>