Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snorkels! Has anyone bought one or made one.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, May 25, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

most of the off-roadin' that i do is in our local river, & i was wanting to fabricate a snorkel, I 'd buy one but I'm poor. does anyone have pics or plans on how to make one(that works). I'm not putting my blazer under water or anything but just in case, I'd hate to fall into a new under-tow hole & flood the motor /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Do a search for "Snorkel" there are plenty
    I'll give you 1
    snorkel

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes. I made one out of PVC pipe. Click the link in my sig and find the album called "Snorkel"

http://community.webshots.com/album/50474928oKhAOa

4" PVC pipe. I used a 3" to 4" rubber converter that attaches to my air breather. I cut a hole out of my grill and knocked out the plate that covers the hole on that side and stuck the thing out the front. The front of this is threaded so that I can just attach the 90deg attachment when I want to. Haven't had the chance to test it since Neil bout had a kid when he saw the front of my rig go nosedive into a water hole!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/50474801/50474863duukFz

I am going to redo it so it looks alot better.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I take it you've already solved all the other problems that come with running in deep water? Like the distributor, good door seals, sealed external vents on the carburetor, eliminated vapor canister, sealed air cleaner (that means no more diverter valve to suck air off the exhaust manifold when cold).

I mean, there's a whole slew of stuff needed to be done before you venture past water-pump deep water.

I've successfully driven my truck through water up to the bodyline and parked it in to water at the top of the wheelwells. Any deeper than that and you're going to have serious distributor issues. As it is, the alternator doesn't like having mud run through it.

I suck my air from the passenger side fender. If I were to run a snorkle I'd continue to run it out through there with 4" black ABS plastic pipe. What I'd do is bolt two toilet flanges together with the inner fender skin sandwiched inbetween. I'd then cut a hole in my fender. The rest is easy.

Here is my setup:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/coldairintake/