Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snorkels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LAXandBLAZERS, Sep 21, 2003.

1. LAXandBLAZERS

LAXandBLAZERS 1/2 ton status

Where can I find a snorkel for a 86 Blazer with a holley carb? I did a search but never could find anything. OR how could I build one(I dont know how to connect to carb /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Thinks for any help.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

In one of the offroad mags this guy had a nice ornage balzer with a flame job. He had a snorkel but it was connected to the carb with a big pot. I could tell because it still had 1 handle on it. He just fabricated a hose connection on one side of the pot and sent a big metal tube out the side of the fender. Looked nice. Im sure most ppl didnt notice it was a pot. None of my friends did at least.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

toby's k5 has the bean pot air cleaner... AFAIK he doesnt have flames on his rig. You talking about the other guy with the 1st gen that built the rig in like 30 days and totalled it right after the shoot? it had flames. Don't remember him having that style of cleaner... but toby (been in mags several times... won TTC this year) definitely has da bean pot.

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What i simply want to know is how you make a snorkel seal to the carb. As soon as that issue is solved, I think I'm going to make one.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

with a bean pot.
    put a bead of RTV around the lid. dont put lid on pot. let it dry on just the lid. then cut a hole in the side of the pot, and seal on some flexible tubeing to connect your snorkle.
    then cut a hole in the bottom of the pot. remember, its is easier to fine tune a hole bigger, harder to ad metal.
    Grant

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if you're looking to buy a pre-built snorkel, get one from ARB for an FJ80. their windshield angle is very similar to ours.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

lol, a bean pot? I suppose that's an idea, but I was hoping for something a little nicer than that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. jekbrown

i dunno, tobys looks bling bling... seriously, its all shiny and stuff. looks niver than anything under my hood...

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I dont really care how it looks

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    09/22/03 01:19 AM
    a bean pot? I suppose that's an idea, but I was hoping for something a little nicer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    09/22/03 01:34 AM
    I dont really care how it looks

[/ QUOTE ]

-So which is it??

12. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    heres one way

www.ramairbox.com

[/ QUOTE ]

that ram air box is pretty trick... any1 else dazed and confused by their web site tho? lol. jesus, cant they just say "click here to order our kit if you have a SBC" or something? lol /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

13. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    toby's k5 has the bean pot air cleaner... AFAIK he doesnt have flames on his rig. You talking about the other guy with the 1st gen that built the rig in like 30 days and totalled it right after the shoot? it had flames. Don't remember him having that style of cleaner... but toby (been in mags several times... won TTC this year) definitely has da bean pot.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the one

14. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I plan to make mine out of aluminum or galvanized 2x4

it will be thin and light weight and just cut and weld to your spec, as for the canister pot thing I am planning to use a old cookie container I got at a yard sale, it has those latches similar to a cheap tool box to keep it shut/air tight. Also is 14 x8 so it is perfect in size /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Just plan to get the desired hole on the bottom then add some more metal to build up some thickness to the bottom, the lid will be removable and plan to use a factory style wing nut set up.

the whole set up will get powdercoated and just be shure to use fexable tubing from the body to motor, throw on a k&n sticker and you have a bling bling set up

But being that az rarly gets rain this i low on the to do list /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif