Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SNORKLE ON 1st GEN

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1gmc4x4, Nov 30, 2004.

1. 1gmc4x4

1gmc4x4 Newbie

does anyone make snorkles for the first gen
    or has anyone made one that comes out the side like the safari snorkles
    I know of someone that used the safari xj-80 and it fit perfect but it was one a 1979
    I need one but I dont want it to come into the cab like most home made ones do

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've never seen one.

That "Dante's Peak" Suburban had a snorkle....I have good closeup pics of it somewhere on my PC, and I recall they adapted a snorkel kit off some other vehicle (Land Rover, Heep?). Of course, true to Hollywood form....the shots of the engine compartment revealed that the snorkel wasn't even plumbed to anything on the engine....just bolted to the front fender! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Jason.. Haven't seen ya around school lately.. Just thought i'd post up and tell you..
    We're going to hollister again this weekend.. Saturday afternoon.. camping out and leaving sunday afternoon.. your welcome to come and join in the mayhem. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Hey Greg.. '69K5 632" So you started saving up for that $5K merlin block to start with? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I have a feeling you might get to put " biggest and most expensive engine on ck5" as your title someday. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Greg.. '69K5 632" So you started saving up for that $5K merlin block to start with? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I have a feeling you might get to put " biggest and most expensive engine on ck5" as your title someday. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I just sold my Doubler setup to Nate (BarBastard) so there's a little more skratch in the K5 account! I can almost afford that Aluminum BBC Block now....(but ONLY the block, no heads, crank, induction, etc)

I don't know, I may build it as a smaller motor intially...I'm not sure if I bought a set of AFRs for the smaller displacement (454 or whatever) would be the same ones I'd use if I really DID punch it all the way out to 632???

It's a crazy idea, but I'd like to eventually have 500Ft/Lbs at the rear wheels....with 30% driveline losses, that requires a LOT of cubes and a huge torque number at the crank!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I may finally have to admit that the Holley TBI setup looks "close enough" to a carburetor that I'd be willing to use it....and I'm sure it would make an engine like this much smoother and more driveable.

5. Ryan B.

[hijack on]
    so that pump gas crate 572" with a 3 yr/30,000 mi warantee just isnt enough? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

oh yah, didn't mean to leave you out greg... you're more than welcome to come out to hollister with us this weekend too. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [hijack on]
    so that pump gas crate 572" with a 3 yr/30,000 mi warantee just isnt enough? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

oh yah, didn't mean to leave you out greg... you're more than welcome to come out to hollister with us this weekend too. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If it came in an all-aluminum configuration I might consider it. I have to admit, I did like the article in "Chevy High Performance" recently where they took a fresh 572 crate motor and swapped on a dual-plane manifold and a milder cam, and got an extra 100 Ft-Lbs across almost the entire rev band...they gave up the big peak-HP number to get it, but who cares about HP really? I think that setup would have been good for about 450Ft/Lbs at the rear wheel (with losses) so it wasn't far off. IIRC may calcs it took just over 700Ft/Lbs to get the magic 500-at-the-wheels number???

An all-aluminum BBC weighs the same as an iron SBC.....to me, that is dead-sexy! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

OH YES: [and to keep this on-topic],

How large of diameter snorkle would I need to supply adequate airflow to a motor like this if it were turning 6000RPM in the mud pit? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Ryan B.

[ QUOTE ]
    they gave up the big peak-HP number to get it, but who cares about HP really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends on if your talkin wheelin in the rocks, or at the dragstrip...
    You can cheat torque with gearing... but you only have so much top end horsepower in direct drive. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Dyno numbers are awsome, but I'd also like to see some 1/4 mile results for that test with less peak hp but more torque throughout the rpms... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    For our big heavy trucks wheeling on the trail, i think its a no brainer, more torque is where its at... but racing up comp hill, that extra HP could come in handy...

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    GM PERFORMANCE PARTS ENGINE WARRANTY

Effective with Purchases on or after12/01/03
    12 months or 12,000 miles
    (whichever occurs first),
    parts and labor.

[/ QUOTE ]

the source: click here

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know of someone that used the safari xj-80 and it fit perfect but it was one a 1979

[/ QUOTE ]

is me.. my web server just took a dump!!! second time.. and i dont have time to mess with it... I can email you pics if you like... I am actually going to look at how to hook it up under the hood tonight... it is just bolted onto the fender right now... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

got my web sever up for now... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

anyhow.. here goes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it does stick out but not too far... anyhow.. I do have to make a bracket to bring it closer to the cab... can go in about 1-2 inches...

I just measured my carb.. to which is 5" across.. so nou I need to goto Home Depot tomorrow and look for a pvc pipe that is 5" around and cut it down to about 3-4" long.. then lay it on the carb and my factory intake will bolt on correctly.. then I will hookup the snorkel to the intake... gonna gut down the intake toob and figure out a hose to connect the two... /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

11. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

oh my god /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifthat looks awsome how much does just the snokel cost,and please post time and parts to complete that project /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 1gmc4x4

1gmc4x4 Newbie

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is me.. my web server just took a dump!!! second time.. and i dont have time to mess with it... I can email you pics if you like... I am actually going to look at how to hook it up under the hood tonight... it is just bolted onto the fender right now... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ya I know im from PS.com too (1GMC4x4)
    but It dosnt work for a first generation
    mine has more of a rounded body

13. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Hey, Jeff. I'm going to install a Safari snorkle on my '73. What part # or model is your snorkle for. Jeep (xj 80?). /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Your fit looks great! Paul

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Mines for a FJ60 and I think it follows the body line a little closer. I,ve also picked up an FJ80 filter box that I will use to seal it all up. Just need one of those air tubes to connect to the tbi.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I've been trying to figure out how or where the air filter goes! Mine will have to come off the front of the fuel injector (ramjet). Safari's don't have some kind of filter built in do they?