Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow and stock flex don't mix...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 18, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Snow and stock flex don\'t mix...

Coming home today, was doing just fine until I got to my driveway. Nice and easy made the turn into the drive and slid straight passed it. I went into our side yard and the ditch and just missed the mailbox by an inch or two(scraped along my front fender. I locked in 4lo(was in hi) and start trying to get out. I moved a little bit and was back gears back and forth on the 465 to try but it wasn't happening. Luckily a guy that passed as I went in stopped with his 2500 long bed extended cab and offered to give me a tug out. I looked at the guy after I got out and thanked him and said "I build off road vehicles as my hobby, and i get my daily driver stuck in a little freaking ditch". SO yeah the right rear tire was barely contacting the ground it was so flexed out. Not like it mattered since all it was contacting was snow and slush. I could have gotten out alone but it would have made a big mess of the ditch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If it weren't for the fact that the guy stopped to help i would have ran and grabbed my camera and got some shots of her stuck. I miss daily driving the K5. If that was the K5 I would have said "$@#% this" and just thrown it in 2nd gear and held it wide open destroying the ditch and taking out the mailbox. There is a telephone pole right to the right of this spot so I'm lucky I didn't go back up the hill and hit that. That would have been all I needed.

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: Snow and stock flex don\'t mix...

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...but u know getting stuck is still fun lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd much rather be driving the sub in the snow. All that weight is very helpful!

Try driving 110" of wheelbase @ 3500 lbs. with a locker in the snow like my DD is. Gets pretty scary sometimes.

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

the same thing happend to me. but i got out. i went to turn down a road and went straight into a ditch. i had the hubs locked since i was going in and out of 4hi since the roads were terrible so right befor i hit the ditch i yanked back on the lever and gave it hell. climbed out and went on my way. it was a pretty deep ditch to. i didnt have 4x4 and momentem then i woulda been stuck. but driving in snow is awesome

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Driving on 38x16 TSLs in deep snow in the yard is really fun. I was playing in my yard last week, amazing that a 6000 lb. truck can float on the snow with wide enough tires, then a little wheelspin and they sink right down to the ground.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You know it was Fun.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you know... i have found in the past that 70s chevy vans with one wheel wonder axle and normal street tires do excellent in snow, they get awesome traction and can plow through anything, are the best bad weather vehicles ive ever had so far to date, pickups suck and get stuck everytime you just look at them, especially in the driveway, its horrible..

the funnest thing to do when snow is on the ground: take and hop into the nearest rear wheel drive full size car or truck and go parking lot sliding, its freaking fun as hell,. especially when others are doing the same at the same time as you, makes for an interesting time and alot of near collisions /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j hooks and reverse slides and sideways slides and reverse J's and reverse doughnuts too

the 77-up caprices and other such GM cars are super great for doing this with, i once had a '77 buick electra 403 with 31 x 10.50 goodyears stuff in the quarters about two years ago and it was excellent winter car and fun too, have had several '79 caprices 2doors and 4 doors both, and some oldsmobiles and a '79 caddy limo 425 too, all B-bodies '77-up style, they are fun not just for demo derbying hehe.

it rules /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah we did that the other day in my friend's bigass RWD '92 Grand Marquis. Had a couple close encounters with light poles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the other night me and my friend were bored as hell..so we hooped in my truck and drove over to the elementary school parking lot that i live across from..did some pretty sick dougnuts and other [darn]...was a good time.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The last snowfall we had, i was out having a good time in my Toyota, when i saw a few kids in the HS parking lot messing arround. I was accross the street waiting to make a left turn and just watching them, one was in an RT and the other an astro van. The RT almost hits the astro van, and when the van tries to manuever out of the way, it smashes into a light pole. I dont think i have ever laughed so hard in my life. Found out the next day from my sister that the kid is a student there, and they have it on camera. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

quit building 4x4's and build a new mailbox /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hmm maybe I can make the pole out of an old 10 bolt... Eww I could make it so when you turn the pinion the mailbox turns /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif... no reason for that but I could...