Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow Carnage

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by W7NB, Jan 12, 2007.

1. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Went up to to play in the snow last night with some friends of mine. As we are heading down the hill a group of guys wanting to go a lot faster then us wanted to pass us so we pulled over and let them go. Got about a half mile and the guy in the lead slid off into the ditch. Totally trashed the front running gear on a 2 year old F350 diesel - broke the driveshaft and drove it up into the front of his transfer case and busted the steering in 2 places. Wheels pointing 2 different directions and with no drive at all he sits like the beached whale he was half in the road.

So we were stuck watching them try to get him out of the ditch, or at least out of the way. What a laugh! They were so clueless it hurt - trying to use a Dodge Dakota to get him out was a riot. 4500 lbs vs 7000 lbs on ice laden snow is a sure winner so 2 broken tow straps later I finally asked them what the point was, he was going to have to be flatbed towed anyway with no steering.

Then we find out one of the reasons they were in a hurry was because one of the guys in their group had slid his vintage Bronco off the road and stuck it on a tree -sideways. He was hurting because a large stob of a branch had come through the drivers side window and hit him in the shoulder and ribs. Since none of them had even a come-along they were going into town to get him checked and find someone to winch him out.

So they finally give up and call a tow. 30 minutes later I guy in a 2 WHEEL DRIVE flatbed shows up. he was chained up in back but had no front chains. Struggles to get the guy loaded on the flatbed because his rig keeps sliding around, but finally gets it done. Then he decides it would be easier to back down to a turn around about 200 yards behind him then to go forward a mile to the next road.

Remember that unchained front end? Yep, hit the breaks and around it came.:eek1: Almost rolled when he went into the ditch... and blocks the road:doah:

So the group I was with decide to go back over the hill and out the other way. It's 15 miles in the snow and takes us 45 minutes with chain tightening stops but we get out and back on the main road just in time to see the 2nd (4 wheel drive this time) tow rig head up the road.

We did not stick around to find out when they got out. Just called it a night and crawled home on the ice.
    I love ford's:haha:

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

what a catastraf***... (not to sound un patriotic) Kinda reminds me of iraq for some reason

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I just can't believe folks can be so dense sometimes. Makes you wonder how folks can go out in conditions that can get you hurt or dead very quickly so unprepared.

Oh well, makes for cheap entertainment if your not the one in the ditch.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Natural selection.:haha:

5. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Follow up.

Talked to one of the guys who stuck around after I left. He said they got the F350 unloaded, the tow truck turned around, and the F350 reloaded - only to end up back in the ditch:doah:

So the tow truck driver and the owner of the F350 spent the rest of the night in the tow truck. It took a chained up loader to get the whole thing back down the hill.

I really feel sorry for the guy with the F350. I mean not only did he buy a ford in the first place but then big $$$ broke it and I can't imagine that tow bill:(