Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow rescue during EJS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm Trooper, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I thought I would share my story of Big Sat. at Easter Jeep Safari with you guys since I went through the trouble of writing it in reply to wheeling in the snow this weekend in the Rock Mtn. Forum. I've been out of town so this is my 1st chance to tell it.
    This is most of the story.
    I just had my winter rescue mission in Moab last month during EJS. It started snowing on Fri. night out there, more than I have ever seen out there. My friends decided they had to go help a friend of theres go check on a cabin he manages up Flat pass. They called me about an hour later and said that Johns K5 had broke and they had no forward or reverse. One of the guys got out of the truck and slid about 20ft. off the side of the hill. He thought he was ok, stood up and fell straight down about another 20 ft. to the bottom. He is a local and was wearing shorts. He cut up his legs pretty bad and dislocated his elbow.
    They got him in the cabin and called me for help :1zhelp: . He couldn't take the pain.
    I told them I would try my best. By then, we had about 1-1/2ft of snow.
    I decided to take my 1 ton 4x4 460 van to try to get them. I couldn't even see the road or sign at my turn. I finally found it and started heading up the pass. I made it about half way up breaking trail when the van broke lose. I was on a very steep grade and sucking the seat cover up as my van started sliding back down the hill sideways :yikes: . I got it stopped, got out to clear the snow behind the wheels so I could get it turned around, slide and point down hill. I did it but I had to creep down the hill in low and it was still breaking lose now and then. It was a good 50ft. drop off on both sides. I got down and headed back to Johns to get my blazer.
    When I got back, the hurt guys wife said she was a nurse and was going with me. I told her it was dangerous but she said she had to go. Her husband was really hurting. By then it was about 1:30 AM. We headed out in the "Trooper" and missed the the road agian even though I had cleared the sign off before. As we headed up towards the pass, I told her now was the time to back out. She said go for it! :woot:
    I hit the locker on and nailed it. We passed the spot I had stopped with the van and kept climbing. We both went Wooo Hooo!! at the top, then $hit! as we went down the other side that was steeper then what we had just climbed. We got down to the creek and crossed it (it was about 20ft. wide and flowing). We got to the other side and could hardly even see a road. The trees had all fallin over the road and made it disapear. We started busting through the trees and they would fly up as we hit them. We started sliding into the ditch on the side, couldn't tell where the road was and wern't sure how far we would need to bust the trees. I said, "F this!" I gave it my best, your a nice gal but I'm not spending the night in my truck with you in a ditch.
    She agreed, and we backed out and turned around in the creek. I hit the hill with a vengence and made it up. The road coming down was so slick that I creeped it down as slow as I could. I told her to keep her seat belt off and to bail if we started to go off. We made it down and back to the house. She managed to get a hold of her husband and he still wanted out. The guys didn't tell him and dumped some vodka on his cuts to clean them...hehe.
    He had been ok until he fell asleep and fell of the couch on his arm (Doah! :doah: ).
    We call in search and rescue. They said that the sherif had a jacked up sub and was going to try (we laughed-he didn't make it). She brought over so patato salad to eat while we called in. It was about 4:30am by now, I looked out the window and saw a big blue flash, then the lights went out. I told her "THAT'S IT!" go home. I had no heat, no water and no lights except a flashlight. I went to bed at 5:30 :surepal: .
    Around 8:00am, I heard guys talking and walking around. WTF now :surepal: . I got up and John and Tim were there. They said that search and rescue had mad it there around 6:00am on 6 wheelers and took the other guy out. They figured out it was just a blown tranny line and fixed it. They busted out through the trees and made it home. We still had gas in the house so we boiled some coffee and cooked some breakfast. Added a little Tuaca to the coffee and managed to head out to wheel. Now that's what I call BIG SATURDAY! I even made it to the IROC challege that day at Helldorado and also did the muddy trial to the back side of prichett with JMS (Low-rider and his wife).
    What a day . Derk, sorry I didn't make it to your party :tongue1: .
    So I think I have had my fun in the snow for this year. SO, don't get stuck if you can help it and be careful please. I will catch up with you boys next time.
    Sorry the story was so long and that wasn't even all of it.
    Dave
    EJS pictures - Webshots

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey, Harryh3 told me stories a loong time ago about this 4X4 plumbing van from hell, id like to see it,,, pics??? :D

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Which one? I have 5 one ton 4x4 460 vans and one AWD GMC Savana 2500.
    I also have the K5, a 76 Scout and the wifes mountaineer (wimpy).
    I'm going to sell 2 of the older 1ton vans and the scout.
    Not tonight though, I'm about to pass out.......
    maybe I'll dig out some pictures tomorrow.