Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow Tires 2

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zigblazer, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Newbie

I Have a Nice '73 Pickup/'78 Blazer, I merged the two. I have a set of good Cooper tires for on the road but I would like a nice set of snow tires. I will be only using them off road in heavy snow. I wanted a 33" tire that would do good in snow off-road, I don't really care what it does on the road because it will rarely ever see the road. I was thinking along the lines of MT Claw, SS Bogger, or BFG m/t, If you know what of these or any tire would do me the best in snow off-road let me know.

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The very best tires I ever had in the snow were a set of 33x 9.50 x 15 buckshot mudders. They were the right combination of height and width. I like Narrow and tall tires better in deep snow than wider tires.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you have the fender clearance and just want to be able to 4-wheel in deep snow, keep the tires you have and buy 2 sets of tire chains. Then you'll be able to go places that will absolutely amaze you. It's often the only way to get around in the Colorado back country during the late elk hunting seasons.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey Ziggy,
    I don't know if your looking for a all around snow tire, or just something to blazing off-road in. But, I had a set of Cooper studded snows and they kicked ass. Living in Tahoe I need them all winter, and with a little weight in the back I never got stuck once. It was great during a big storm blazing past all the turkeys in their Lexuses and Mercedes. Those people think they can go anywhere in their SUV's when they don't realize it's the experience that count's and not how much you spend on the vehichle.

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I agree with Harry, had Buckshot Mudders on an '85 S-10 with four chains, that thing would NOT get stuck. Even in gnarly wet snow with ice under it, the truck would NOT get stuck.........er, I said that already.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stimpy
    Where do you live in Tahoe. I'm in South Lake. We got a big storm heading our way, maybe we can get together sometime and drive over some of these little vehicles they think of as trucks. I do respect the Subarus though. I own 2.
    Laters

Topless73

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Subaru... rated #1 in customer satisfaction (in europe)

Yeah, they got a nice 4wd setup. Not as nice as the Audi's , but seem to work better on snow.