Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Anyone got any advice on snow tires? I live in the Northeast and do a LOT of snow plowing. looking for something with serious traction. They are going on a '91k5 with a 2.5" lift. I have been running 31x10.50x15 BFG KO's. They are decent. but wood like something a little better. maybe something a little taller, but not any wider. 33's fit with ease, but 12.50 way tooooo wide! Any help appreciated.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I believe BFG has a 33x10.50 AT availabe. Also for thick snow... mt's generally clean better... At's are way better on ice though IMO

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you really want traction for that stuff, get some studded tractions in like a 235/85LT16. Would look kinda silly, but they work well on work trucks.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

To add to Pete's comment, get a good set of real chains too...........for all 4 wheels........and not cables............that will be unstoppable then. Your AT's will load up and be spinning without the chains in the real snow.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I have no idea how swampers go in the snow... but I do know they make a 34x9.50. Tall and skinny is what you said you wanted.

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I'd find a skinner tire and stud em' If its only going to plow and such go with something that guys would put on work trucks. Les Schwab sells tires called m55 there like 32" tall and 9" wide. They have an aggressive traction and are pinned for studs. I would go with studs myself. However schwab is located in the Northwest. But I'm sure somebody has something like that. Of course that's not what I got. I got some Mud Terrain SXT from AVON. They are what I would call a mild mud tire. Then I got em siped and they are pinned for studds. I figure if they are'nt up to par I will get them studded later. At least I think you can stud them latter?!? Or I'll have to buy another set for the rear and have them studded.

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

7. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey Mikee,
    Coopper just came out with a new studable M/S tire that is really really agressive looking. I'm going to have them put on in the next couple of days to get ready for the upcomming Thaoe winter. I've used coopper before and have good luck with them. Like I said these new ones look like they could climb a wall. I believe they are the new Discovery series.

Todd Miller
    Lake Tahoe, CA

IF IT'S SNOWING AND DEEP I'LL BE MAKING TRACKS!!!!!

8. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I have the discoverer stt series. They are equipped for studs, however, i doubt that i will use them. Just chains.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

9. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I live in AK and bought a set of Radial Rover RT's out of the local newspaper for $200 already on decent rims.
    They have excellent tread and had already been studded. A few of the studs were worn, so for $20 per tire I got them restudded. The guy that did the restudding left in the original studs and put the new studs about 3/4 inch in from each of the existing rows of studs.
    These tires are excellent, snow, ice or whatever, they have never come close to sliding on me even under heavy braking and I would certainly recommend this setup to anyone who has to drive on this white stuff every day.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Illinois sucks. Studs and chains are illegal. I swear, I hate the winter time.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles