Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow Tow attempt #2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 11, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The snow melted down a couple inches, and I returned with the snow plow to clear the second hill before attempting it.

Got down to the ground and dirt with the plow. So, now was time to hook up and try to pull the truck on the trailer up where it needs to go.

Still, the fact that snow exists in the area around the road must add an extra 3 tons to the trailer. Even getting to patches where all 4 tires are on true ground, it would NOT go up the hill; a hill that I can pull the trailer up in 2wd when snow is not present. This is the furthest it went... almost halfway, and that took like 5 runs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turning around was just as rediculous. You either go straight back, or start turning and instant jacknife. Trailer stops rolling and truck slides. I give up. I dumped off the truck at the bottom of the hill and plowed it back into a snowbank.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

get two trucks to do it with!!

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thats my next plan. The last two attempts have been solo. My Blue Blazer is parked up atop the hill, but no driver for it, and it has 2 flat tires. :(

I'll get it next time. ;)

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Maybe time to mount some snow chains on all 4....

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

When a pickup can't get the job done I just go and get our Caterpiller Challenger. ;)

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

push the truck up the hill with the snow plow :D

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I think god doesnt want you to have that truck.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Does that truck have a detroit in the rear? If so throw on a pair of chains and you wont have a problem :thumb:

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was going to say chains on all four wheels too!--and add some tonage to the bed of the towing truck--if its too light and it starts hopping,you'll never get it up the hill.....

Dont feel bad--I was supposed to try to figure out the problem with my 74's tranny today--a combination of a cloudy windy 40 degree day,a slight hangover,and general lack of ambition resulted in me not doing anything except catch up on all the posts here--that and trying to de-frag the disc in the computer--I keep getting an error message and getting knocked offline once in a while--spyware maybe???---I dunno--all I know is it was another wasted day,and worse weather is coming soon......