Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow Wheelin'

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Mar 19, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Snow Wheelin\'

Ok, I went and did a little minor wheelin' yesterday on some forest service roads. I hit the snow line and kept on going, but I finally turned around. This is only the third time I have wheeled my K5, and I have to take my dad seeing as how I am not 16. Any tips on staying on the trail when in the snow. My Blazer was squirly as hell, and the puny tires didn't help! Alos, I just bought a 10 Gal. tool box for the back, and would like to know what the best tools for recovery would be. Besides the obvious, like a winch. I have a 2-ton bottle jack and I am going to get a 30' tow strap and some chain, what else?

1977 Blazer w/ 350 GM crate motor
    44 front/ 12-bolt rear, gear driven NP205
    31x10.50r15 BFG All-terrain- Larger on the way!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Snow Wheelin\'

Snow wheelin is pretty fun, and hard to dial in the best set-up too. There are just so many different types of snow you could encounter. If you started out with no snow and drove up through the snow line you likely found wet slushy snow at first. I find this crap to be the hardest to drive in, and the deeper it is the worse it is.
    I've had the best luck with keeping my momentum up and not spinning the tires at all if it can be avoided. In the wet slushy snow I use low range because the snow is heavy amd likes to throw the truck around depending on the ruts or tracks already there. I also find low range gives me better throttle control. I also recommend wheelin with at least one other truck in the snow, or anywhere else for that mater. It is a lot safer and more enjoyable.
    Tire chains help tremendously in the snow, even with a 4x4.

For gear, the list could be endless...but in the colder weather make sure you have some spare dry clothes, blankets, matches etc. Plan as if you're gonna be stuck there for a while.

For recovery, again the list could be endless. I always have my Hi-lift with me, a good shovel, and a winch would be a great addition. A couple of bags of sand, yank straps and chains...

There was a post not that long ago about gear, I think it was "Off-road gear" do a search, there were some very comprhensive lists of gear that should be in your truck when wheelin'. If you can't find the post by title check out bandit because I think he originally posted it.

http://jules.coloradok5.com

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tRustyK5 on 03/19/01 10:35 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Carry a set of tire chains for the snow. You'll be amazed at how well you can get around in the white stuff with a set of those strapped on!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

Born and raised in Wyoming I think I know a little about snow wheelin'. My preference for tires is like my preference for women, tall and thin. I'm running 33x9.50x15s that work great. If you think it's time to put the chains on you're probably too late. When you chain up chain all four. Don't mess around with just front or back. Keep your right foot light because spinning tires will probably get you in more trouble. A lot of what I drive is deep drifts (the wind does blow occasioinally in big wonderful) so I prefer low range for those times because I can keep power to the wheels without over doing it. Most of all get out in it and practice. A good wheeler in a poor rig will out do a poor wheeler in a good rig. A second vehicle is always a good idea. It's hard to carry enough beer in just one. :o)

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Best tool to take along with you:

Another 4x4 wheeler

They come in handy.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!