Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snow Wheeling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue85, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

We all know that the snow is falling all over the Midwest. How much fun is everybody having playing in it or even just laughing at people who try to go out but don't have Blazers?

Let's hear your stories.

I was out snow wheeling in Michigan's UP this weekend. 2-3 feet on the ground and I couldn't maintain continous momentum. Going down to 13psi helped, but I still had to shovel my way out when I tried to turn around. The problem was the ice on the ground under the snow. I have 35" ProComp MT, which dug me forward pretty well, but were powerless on the ice whenever I dug all the way through. Proof was the fact that I could leave the truck in gear and 3 tires would spin without giving it any gas, but I could get out and get the truck rocking back and forth BY HAND until it grabbed some snow and climbed up on it. Chains would have been the hot ticket. Lots of fun!! It looked like I had flat-faced white hupcaps when I came out.

Have you ever tried to rock a truck with a gov-lock? Yucky.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I've have some pretty good fun this year. Usually I HATE driving in the snow. This year I got dumped into right off the bat. My friend that I hadn't seen for close to three years just moved back two days before x-mas. So I ended up spending christmas eve with him. Which in Indiana is the first big (blizzard like) snow we got. We went shopping for the last minute stuff, no snow yet, drive him home and it starts to flurry. Stop to eat and its starts dropping snow by the yard. By the time we finish eating theres at least 1.5" of snow on the ground! Drop him off and start the 70 miles track home in whiteout condition snows. 20-30MPH the first 2/3rds the way home. Once I got off the highway and about 20miles from home the highway packed ice slick turned to a fluffy powder. Needless to say I was running about 40MPH threw 3-4" of powder. IT WAS SWEET. X-mas day, we had 6+" of snow on the ground and it was the first day I got to use my new (to me) plow truck. Ever since I have been out playing on heavy snow days in the plow and tracking back and forth to work and friends houses in the snow, all I have to think about is how crappy it was that first night driving back home in the snow x-mas eve, and everything else seems not as bad! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'd like a plow truck! Would only be able to use it for sand ... but what the hey!

I took my K5 into the snow capped desert mountains this last weekend. It was only 3-4 inches deep but in SoCal, thats a lot. I finally got a chance to see why I don't want to take any climbing snow runs with my Swamper TSL's since I spent more time sliding than climbing, until I dug down to the dirt anyhow. Just the same, theres nothing like something a little different than sand once in a while.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

A month ago or so a buddy and I went snow wheeling, and evidently through a bad seal some water snuck in his front axle. The water froze that night around the carrier/gears. Changing the diff fluid was a treat after that. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

Me and my brother went snow wheeling a few months ago. had a great time at this mud pit. It was fun and everything untill we got home, parked, and when we tried to leave we realized the e-brake was frozen on!! My brother slid the back tires up the driveway in 4-lo for about 30 feet untill I told him what was going on. We threw some hot water on the cable and whalla!! Great fun. Didn't use the e-brake for a while though! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Harrison

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

All I have to say about snow wheelin is this...
    [​IMG]

7. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

We have finally been getting some great snow here in Western Montana /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have been running 35" MT/R's which I hand siped with a tire groover/siper and they have been working great. Our club had a great trail run last weekend.

[​IMG]

8. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

We had about 10" today. This morning the first cars in to the parking lot, were the ones that got plowed in later on. That included my 78 K5, a 4wd ranger, a 95 chev short box 2wd with summer tires, and an 87 chev 2wd with bad tires as well. The ranger couldn't move at all, the 95 and the 87 couldn't make it through, Mine with 31" BFG AT made it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I just backed up as far as I could(about 2-3') put it in Bo Low and plowed right through. The height of the snow bank made by the plow truck was just below the headlights. On a 2wd with no locker I was pretty proud. All it takes is a little bit of know how and some decent tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Damn... You guys got more snow around Helena than we do in Kalispell /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Its never been deeper than 10" in my neighborhood at any time (I'm at 3900 feet.)

10. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I'd love to do some snow wheeling this year. I live in MN and we have bareley had more than 8" on the ground at one giver time though. Our college campus club went on a trail ride in january and there was no snow!! I wont complain too much because less snow means less road salt, but it would be fun to get back to a good old MN winter some time. I used to drive through deeper snow with my 77 buick estate wagon, and I usually made it back out too:)

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    All it takes is a little bit of know how and some decent tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Part of that know how is knowing when you can make it and when you'd better stay put.

I used to drive in Houghton (average yearly snowfall = 250 inches) with a Dodge Aries /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. I could drive in a foot of snow, as long as it was fresh fallen (packed or wet snow is much harder) and I never stopped. That is one hilly town, though, so going up and down was often not an option. I got stuck one night going DOWN a steep hill where the plow had been just 1-2 hours earlier. We never called it snow there unless we got at least a foot. I saw a foot per hour and I saw more than 3 feet overnight. The snowbanks aren't gone there until mid-May. We would turn on the weather channel up there to see a "severe weather advisory" from somewhere and just laugh out loud. What they were calling "dangerous", "low-visibility" conditions seemed like a decent day in Houghton.

Whenever I think about that place I always think "If only I'd had this truck back then" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This has been a bad winter here so far. We usally have more snow than this. The trail in the picture is usally alot deeper. You can't tell by the pic but I do have a 6" lift /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We do monthly trail runs if you would like to drive over. There is also a club in Bozeman and one in Polson. We are all part of M4x4A.

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

We usually get about 3-4 feet every year. This year is about the same. I'd say probably 2-3 on the ground right now.

14. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

I might do that once I get my Blazer finished. I used to hang out there a lot. Spent some time in the Votech, had lots of buddies from Carrol College, and spent a LOT of money in the Sleeping Giant Brewery. Still got some buddies over there...

I know of the club in Polson, but I don't know any of its members. There's no official club here in Kalispell, but theres a lot of guys that like to wheel. I know about 90% of the mechanics in town too, those are the guys to wheel with /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This year has been pathetic. We've had more snow in the last 4 days than we did all the rest of the winter. It snowed another 6" in the last 24 hours too.

Besides us two, are there a lot of other Montuckians on the forums?

15. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Gotta love bald mud terrains in snow, cant go, cant stop. YES! Michigan.

16. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

New Thornbirds are the equivalent to bald Mud Terrains. Don't ask how I know /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. tsm1mt

tsm1mt Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know of the club in Polson, but I don't know any of its members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start by visiting Rob St.Clair at St.Clair's 4xPlus in Polson. He's a member. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Besides us two, are there a lot of other Montuckians on the forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm here.. though I only own K5 parts, not any complete ones. Only two complete Chevys in my fleet are 2wd - a '67 coil-sprungC10 and a '76 Luv. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAHAHAHA I've got bald Thornbirds so wadda ya think about that! It really sucks to me be, my Subaru put K-Zero to shame this weekend with 10" of snow on the ground. Even climbing hills and dragging the entire undercarriage the Subaru make my truck look stupid : ) I still had more fun the the truck though!
    Follow the Snow Fun link at the middle of the page

I hope to get some 38x12 SXs some day soon,, I was thinking about the 14.5s but after seeing my buddy on 38x11s and watching my Subaru slaughter the winter weather with its 205/60s I think narrower might be better since I spend a lot of my time on slippery stuff.

later all,
    andy

19. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Many fun hours of wheeling in the white stuff over here in Mass. this winter.

I was bahaing it down the power lines doing maybe 15 to 20 mph, in about four inches of fresh powder when I had my problem.

Its a relatively smooth section of the lines that I have been down hundreds of times before and I was the first truck out that day. I was fallowing some fresh snow mobile tracks. I had it in 2wd because it just to fun to lose control of the rear end and go spinning around. Doing all those stunts and stuff is no fun in 4wd.
    Came up to a little dip in the road and the truck just came to a crashing stop. It sounded really bad. We had just broken threw the ice of a very large puddle. The snowmobiles made it across no problem, but the truck, no way.
    So there we were sitting in the middle of this huge puddle pond with ice burgs floating all around us in 2wd.

I put it into 4wd and got out ok.

The next hour was spent chiseling ice out of my front end and removing the two rancho steering stabilizer shocks, which were completely bent and mangled, preventing me from turning. We hit really hard and the stabilizer took most of the hit.

Come to think of it I do remember that quite a large puddle does usually form there when it been wet. Oh well.

As I have mentioned before we pull sledders behind the truck when it snows. I have seen people doing it on skis too. I have even seen someone try it with an old rocking chair.

We just got another 8 inches or so, south of Boston last week Will it ever end?

20. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Where are you at now?

There's only 25-30" on the ground right now here in Houghton/Hancock. It's supposed to get pretty warm Wednesday and the rest of the week so we'll probably lose a lot of it. Since Lake Superior has been pretty well frozen over the last couple weeks it has barely snowed. Hopefully this year won't be like last year and all the snow melted, had a few 50° days, and then promptly got another 10" on the ground for another month. I've lived in the same house for the last few years and I can honestly say that every year I have snow on the north side of my house well in to June. I'm ready for spring. It's time to put the real tires on and get rid of these snow tires.

To me, "it ain't snow until you can't get up Agate street without 4wd". I'm sure you remember Agate street. It's kind of like Portage street only wider.

Oh, and you forgot to tell them that they close half the streets off in the winter because they're too steep to navigate in the winter. IE, Scott street (Scott hill) in Hancock.