Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snowboarding!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87BrnRsd, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

So I just got back from the slopes and it was my first time snowboarding. I go to college in the mountains of nc, so snowboarding is one of my classes. Its from 6-10 at night. They instruct you for about 30-45 minutes, then just turn you loose to hit whatever you want. I did the green and blue diamond. I busted my ass many times and am nowhere near ready for a full downhill run without eating it. Anyways, anyone here snowboard. It was a lot of fun!
    -Harrison

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

been riding for about 10yrs and LOVE it. although I'm starting to get spoiled I guess. I seem to only go out when it's snowing and deep powder. I just can't put up with the crowds anymore. I do give that as a suggestions though: learn to like going when it's snowing out. most people won't go so you'll have the mountain to yourself.

Be ready for SORE muscles in the morning.:haha: Everyone gets it after their first time. I can still remember when I was learning waking up just not wanting to move.,

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I can already feel my legs and back starting to stiffen up. It was crowded up there tonight because of the ski and snowboard school offered through my college. It was about 25 degrees, they were blowing snow like crazy, and the wind was gusting over 70.:eek1: Just standing up waiting to get on the lift, a gust would come, and everyone would fall like dominos. For tomorrow morning, im glad I have a small stash of vicodin.:wink1:
    -Harrison

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah i remeber my first time going, I hated it and never wanted to go again. Luckly i stuck to it and now it is one of the best things in the world to do, im going up to good ol canada next friday to go for a few days, i cant wait.

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

get ready to find muscles you didn't even know you had:haha:

6. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Stick with it. Oh what's that line... aha!

"What's the difference between a beginner snowboarder and a pro?"
    -Three days

Seriously though, it is pretty easy. You just have to beat yourself up a little first.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey bud, if you need a snowboarding helmet, I have one you can borrow. I'm positive you'd like it as well. I bought it after I saw a girl in my class slide off the edge of the run and hit her head on a tree. It sucked having to take time from my class to give her medical attention.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

IDK much about boarding, but safety equiptment is cool, wear it out bro

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its amazing. I woke up today a little sore, but nothing like it should have been for falling down the mountain quite a few times. I didnt even have to use a vicodin.
    -Harrison

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Do you go snowboarding a lot Ashlin? We should go to beech on a thursday sometime. I suck and dont have a board, but I had a great time yesterday and want to go again really badly. I just have no money. I may be able to find a friend to borrow one from. Anyways, did you end up getting your truck up here?
    -Harrison

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

I don't go much either, nor do I have a board. I'd love to go again! It's been about 4 years since I last went boarding. Yeah, the truck is up here, but it's not running good, and it has a coolant leak at the heater hose on the firewall. But it's all good cuz it'll get fixed Tuesday.

12. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Damn man, do you have to pay for your lift tickets and boards and whatnot for that class?

And uh, wear a helmet for sure. I've gotten two concussions from snowboarding, and I now wear a helmet. It saved me from another one when I was in Snowmass a few weeks ago.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You just pay $130 at the beginning of the semester and it covers your lift ticket and rental throughout the entire semester. At beech mountain, guys get free lift tickets on thursday nights, and girls get free ones on tuesday nights. I just dont have a board and its like $25 to rent one, and I have no money.

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

We should try to go sometime this winter. My brother is comming up sometime soon and we plan on hitting up the slopes. Hopefully he will be able to come on a thursday so we can get in free at beech. Otherwise, I cant affor $55 for a lift ticket and $25 for a rental. Ill let you know when im going again and you can try to come too.

BTW- I forgot to add....when you get your truck fixed, take me wheeling. Im having withdrawls since my truck is still at home. haha
    -Harrison

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

That's a definite 10-4 on the boarding and wheelin!

16. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I was there a few weeks ago too (I have a season pass cause I work there whenever I get some days off of school).

Get a helmet for sure. I have had two concussions while skiing - one with a helmet, one without. I have had a lot of other times where I really rang my bell, but the helmet helped out a lot. It was definitely worth every penny. Then there was that time I broke my back...