Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snowed here again ---

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Jan 6, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Well,here we go again!--We got 6+ inches of snow since yesterday here--its still snowing lightly,but its suppossed to change to sleet,freezing rain,then rain by tonite,--the snow is the heavy wet cement crap I hate most,and clogs the snowblower up(of course!)so it looks like another backache is coming on soon from having to shovel it --again!--I swear I'm going to invent a better snowblower,I havent seen one yet that works good in this slushy snow we always get here---the only ones that work are those 2 cycle ones that have rubber paddles instead of an auger,but they dont last very long,cheesy crap they sell now sucks!!..--I'm tempted to get one of those big tiger torches and melt it off the stairs and deck!!:weld: :weld:

Time to start the diesel and plow again--I wish I could make some dough plowing,but most of the people I do plow for have not called,they are having their kids shovel it instead,and many others just dont have the money to pay for plowing and only call if its a foot or more--times are tough for a lot of folks here right now,even the ones with jobs have little cash to spare,expecially after the holidays....Since I'm not making money off theese storms,I just assume it didnt snow at all--its hard on the truck,and hard on my wallet!!--I was lucky to not have any problems with the truck or plow so far,usually its hard to get thru one storm without having a hose fail,or something on the truck go south while plowing..hope I can do it again!!:crazy:

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Good luck. One thing I'm not missing about Chicago. Snow was fun about the first couple weeks but then it got old quick.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea this snow sucks, i gota put an engine, tranny, tcase, and 14bff in my truck this weekend and i dont think its gona happen now:mad:

4. 86chevybanshee

I just went out to snow blow this crap off the drive way and the snow blower sh*t the bed :mad:

I hate snow

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It started snowing last Thursday here. I'v been plowing,blowing,shovling, that white crap for a week straight. Been working 10 -12 hour days. Driving my K5 40 miles a day to work thru blizzards at 4AM.
    Got a break today. We just got a dusting last night almost acually got caught up on the plowing. Tommrrow a new storm is blowing in. Susposed to leave around 10" .That means I'll Prolly have to work this weekend . Oh well. At least the overtime is piling up as fast as the snow. More money for car parts:thumb:

6. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

It's tough trying to make money pushing snow unless you jump in with both feet, unfortunately:( . Then add the cost of insurance and it just doesen't seem worth it. You could work for someone else as a sub-contractor, but the $ you rake in would be a fraction of what you could make on your own.

Good luck to ya, and yeah, lousy storm today.

Hopefully the neighbor I plowed out doesen't fall and break his skull after his driveway ices over.:xmas:

7. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well i wrecked my blazer that ive had for less than 5 days....so yall aint doing to bad.

got hit and run the night i got it (drunk chick) she ran and i had to chase her down, she assaulted me so i had to put her on the ground and hold her till the cops got there.....:blush:

then i hit a patch of black ice on tues morning and hit a retaining wall...:mad:

regular snow would be a welcome sight.:(

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

None of that sounds like any luck! :( With that many bad things in such a short time things can only look up, glad you're okay! Things will start shaping up soon! :waytogo:

9. diesel4me

winter misery....

Sorry to hear of your bad luck--I hate even leaving my yard anymore,many times I almost get T-boned just trying to get out of my yard,and the side street that merges onto a local highway..people here drive with a cell phone glued to their head,and have a coffee or ciggarette in the other hand,are rude and always cutting you off,flipping you off,and NEVER use their turn signals,or give any warning about panic stops or other "swift" manuvers.I swear half of them are stoned or drunk,even at 7 am!..even my plow doesn't seem to intimidate some of them--people in VW jetta's and mustang GT's seem to be the worst offenders,followed closely by the "soccer moms" in their snobby S.U.V.'s and minivans around here--if I were a traffic cop,I could use up whole book of tickets in one day here,with no problem--its THAT bad!!!......

Late yesterday afternoon it went from snow to rain,then it froze into black ice last night--today we are sunny,but windy and 40+degrees,tomorrow its an instant replay of yesterday,but less snow and more rain than yesterday...they are saying its going to stay above freezing(barely)for the next week after tomorrow--I hope so!..Thankfully,only about 3 more months of this crap to go--then we can have our usual cold soggy spring until june,when one day its 90 degrees all of a sudden again!--I wanna move to arizona!!!:crazy:

I dont try to plow commercially,the insurance is over a thousand bucks alone--and it beats your truck to hell,and plow blade cutting edges only last about 500 miles or less,and cost 250 bucks to replace(not including labor)--and if your tranny fails,youre screwed,then you have to spend another grand to get the truck going again before the next storm hits--its hard to make that kind of cash when you plow only Joe Blows driveway for 20 bucks or so--like everything else here,its nearly impossible to make a living trying to work for yourself anymore....:frown1: :frown1:

10. 86chevybanshee

i totaled my truck the last snow storm we had,

there was a cop in the passing lane on route 128 sitting in a huge puddle that alot of people were hitting going about 75 (speed limit is 55) and crashing into the guard rail, so im cruising along doing about 65 when i see the cop parked in the puddle and i saw the officer putting out flairs, so im trying to find him so i dont hit him, well i look infront of me and there is a honda civic going about 2 mph, i slammed on my brakes (probly going like 60 now) skidded for about 200 feet and rearended the stupid honda:mad: no my truck looks like this http://community.webshots.com/photo/209402583/236567872uvoScG

anyone got a 89 91 front clip?

11. diesel4me

Mass confusion...Massholes!!

Man,that sucks!!--glad you werent killed or hurt!--like I said,people here are morons--they drive like they own the road,and God help anyone who dares challenge them...

I have a friend that is going to junk a 89 or 90 K5 (if he hasnt already!)--I can try and get in touch with him if your interested in buying the nose from it--I didnt look at the truck very closely,as I was at his house too look at the one ton big block 4x4 truck he also has for sale,but it was pretty rusted underneath,but I think the outer skins were not that bad a shape--he planned on pulling the EFI 350 motor,and scrapping it,but I havent seen him since christmas--hopefully he might still have it--its located in bridgewater MA...post back if you want me to help out...:crazy:

12. 86chevybanshee

yea defenatly find out if he still has it

13. RubberFloorMat

ive found plenty of inner fenders, hoods and rad supports, but im gonna get the outer fender and bumper etc...from LMC.

got it to turn all the way to the right now, the BRAND NEW custom drop steering arm was bent and the gearbox was trash.

now time to start the body panel replacement...i havent even had the damn thing off road yet.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What's snow? You guys need to visit the South. Its 70 degrees here (has been for two weeks)

15. RubberFloorMat

rub it in why dont ya.....

seriously tho im waiting for lake weather, so i can pop the top on the K5 for the fisrt time

16. diesel4me

see what happens 86 Chevy Banshee

I will see if I can get in touch with the guy for you about the K5 nose,he might be away for the weekend though--I will call him,and at least find out if its still available or if its aleady been scrapped...its gonna snow some here again tomorrow,hopefully it stays mostly rain down here this time...

CBBR--I've been down south 4 times,drove to TN twice!--If I ever get there again,I probably will never come back to new england again--it sucks here weatherwise a lot of the time,its a long wait for the three weeks of muggy weather we call summer here--and most of the things that used to be nice about living here are long gone,it went from rural to ruined in 20 short years--

Those house lots Eric Estrada is selling on those infomercials looks tempting,in Hot Springs Village,Ark..!--15 grand for a buildable lot with underground utilities !--you WONT find that up here!---good thing I didnt go for the florida "Leehigh Acres" place though--one of the hurricanes flattenned many houses there:blush:
    I wonder how they knew it was coming,and had to sell them quick??:thinking: :thinking: