Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snowmobile wiring help- PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for a 92 Yamaha Exciter?
    If I can't fix this thing this weekend, no snowy range WY for me next week.

The problem is that I keep blowing out the headlight and tail lights. When I rev it up they get really brite and burn them up. I just put a new voltage regulator in it but it didn't help. The sled originally had elec. start but I pulled it.
    It never had a problem until recently.
    The reason I need to fix it is because I just found out that my 700 SRX trashed the chain case and it's going to cost me $600 to fix so it's out for the season :frown1:
    I figured I could just beat the snot out of myself for a few days on the Exciter next week instead.
    Any help or a web site would be much appreciated.
    Dave

2. Storm Trooper

I'll check back in the AM. This has been one HELL of a week. Good night everyone.....:tongue1:

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Shoot a PM to sled dog. He's an old (well, maybe not old, but...) snowmobiler, he might be able to help you out.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

www.totallyamaha.com I haven't been over there in a long time but thats where I went for Yamaha stuff. If you replaced the voltage regulator and its still doing it I have no idea what it is. Sounds like just that, too much power to the headlights. You say it worked fine without the electric start before and just started? Or did it start right after start removal? Battery for the starter still there?

5. Storm Trooper

Thanks Sled Dog, I tried searching the net without any luck.
    I'll try that site. The starter has been gone for more years than I can remember but the problem started recently. I never ride this sled so.
    It looks like I might get the SRX Mtn. going before I leave so my back should be in better shape after the run. I still want to fix the Exciter for a back up though.
    Thanks again.......:thumb:

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Just saw this but thought I would reply in case you still needed help. Try ronnies.com. They have online microfiche.

I went in under purchase OEM parts, selected Yamaha and stopped at this page as I did not know exactly what model you had.
    http://216.37.204.202/yamaha_oem/yamahasnow.asp

I hope this helps. If not give me a pm with exact model, cc's etc. and I have some friends here that might have some manuals that I can copy and fax.

7. Storm Trooper

Thanks for the help. I feel like a dumbass now. I figured it out,

It seems that if you burn out several other bulbs like insturments etc. the voltage increases. I call it the christmas tree light effect. I found several bulbs that had burned out and went through all of them and replaced what was needed. I was getting almost 20VDC during rev. and now with the bulbs replaced, I'm getting a max of 12VDC :crazy: . Now it lights up like a christmas tree and works fine. I found bulbs I forgot I even had :D . It looks like I should have my SRX fixed in time too so I will take both sleds. It should be a great time.
    I post up a few pics when I get back. Talk to you guys next week..........
    Dave :cool1:

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Instead of playing with snowmobiles, you should really be out plumbing,,making money,,,shame on you. :grin: