Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snowmobilers check in please...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 16, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Where are you from? How have your seasons been lately?

I haven't ridden in years now. Haven't had a sled for as long. I'd like to get a new sled(well new to me) but don't know about spending the money. Pennsylvania winters suck. We were going to Upstate NY the last few years of me riding. I miss it like nothing else, but I'm worried about laying out the money for a new sled and having crappy weather. Dad offered to go halves on an 04 SX Viper with me(I want a Viper, Firecat, or ZR), but I enjoyed riding WITH him, so not sure how that would work out.

I could get an ATV, since most of my friends have them, but I've never enjoyed them nearly as much as sleds. I rode hard and LOVED it.

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm from NE Minnesota it's usually awesome up there I've been in new mexico for 8yrs now and I can sled for about a month up in the High country I've got a 98 ZRT800 I'd like to get a New sled also when I move back to Minnesota if you do get a quad i'd Highly recommend the YFZ450 there awesome the suzuki 450 handles better but the YFZ is still a better quad

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if I got a Quad it would be either a YFZ450(ridden and love them) or the new Raptor 700, but I'd have to ride the Raptor first. But like I said, I've never enjoyed them nearly as much as sleds.

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 700 is a good bike very easy to ride and comfortable and stock to stock ..... maybe faster then the YFZ top speed wise

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

The only reason I bought a K5 was to have something to do when there was not snow. There is nothing like riding snowmachines. I ride out of Anchorage, AK. I have a Yamaha Mountain Max 700 that has had a wrench or two touch it. :D Man I love the sound of piped tripples and two stroke smoke in the morning!!!:saweet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Talking about the Raptor, over the fourth of July weekend we were out trying out a friend's new set of Boggers. A guy comes hauling a$$ by us on a Raptor, he was doing way over 60, probably closer to 70. About a hundred yards in front of us he endo on some ruts. From the point the front end dug in, to where he and bike stopped it was 128 feet. He didn't make it. Kind of wish I didn't have the image burned in my brain.

I ride my XR out there all the time, kind of making me re-evaluate my throttle decisions a little bit.

7. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i only rode about 6 times this winter, winter has been terebly awful to pa snowmobilers but this year i think im planning on getting uptwards ny for a lil bit

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I try and go riding as much as I can when the white stuffs on the ground. I ride around the Mammoth Lakes(Eastern Sierra's) area.

Speaking of snowmobiling...how about some tech. On my 96 polaris xlt 700 I used to be able to lift the skis as long as I wanted and climb most anything I could find as well as hit the low triple digits. A while back it went into the shop just to get tuned and some over due maintinence. When I got it back it stumbles if I give it full throttle from a dead stop. and tops out at 50mph. I have a HUGE loss of power. What could the idiots at the shop have done.

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Things I would check first. The carbs.... make sure nothing is plugged up, jets are correct, tightened downed, etc. Make sure a float is not hung up, or if they are hollow, have a hole in it. Check the clutch, are the springs ok, everything moving, everything is tightened correctly. Is the secondary moving all the way and is your belt deflection correct? Check the belt, make sure they didn't put a worn out belt back on. Make sure none of the fuel lines are kinked, same with the throttle cables. Are the carb boots on all the way? Plugs all showing the same amount of spark and showing the correct burn color? Check your piston wash and what shape your pistons and cylinder walls are in, just in case you have a dead hole. (I know of a tripple that had a dead cylinder and it would still run, just with out much power.)

Once you have done all that you can and if are still not up and running log onto www.snowest.com and talk with those boys. Some really knowledgeable guys there.

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

awesome thanks for the info and the link I'll have to check them out