Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Snowplowing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TJS, Nov 30, 2002.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I do not post much here but I do a lot of lurking and have learned alot from you people. I have an 85 K-10 6' bed that I just got thru building a mild 350 for it. Basically it was a stock rebuild with the Summmit 262 cam. It has a 4" lift with ORD front greaseble leaf bushings. It has 31 10.50 15's enforcer tires on it. The tread is real aggresssive for snowplowing. I had a 79 k-5 blazer that rusted to death that I plowed with for years. I just got the
    motor running the night before our first small snow fall and got the 700R4 TV cable finally adusted properly. It had a 305 in it and I am so glad I did a 350. My next project is the front leaf spring rear bushing shackle kit from ORD. Any tricks I need to know about doing this. The bushings on there are soooo bad all that is left are the bolts and the leaf eyes are resting against the frame (not to safe in my book).
    Oh and another thing. While I had to motor out I was doing some tidying up of the wiring in the engine compartment and decided to give the steering shaft a turn with my hands and low and behold the steering box was falling out of this thing. When I got the truck last year I had the typical frame crack so I had it welded and the person I guess never really torqued the box bolts. One of the bolts was broken in the box so I had drill and tap it out. It made it easy to do without the engine in the way. I also replaced all the bolts with a little longer ones (cause of the plate) with grade 8 ones. So everybody please check your steering box bolts. My truck is not all over the road now like it was. It should even get better when I do the bushings.
    Sorry so long.
    What I really want to know if there are any good snowplowing sites out there.
    Thanks
    T.J.

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

what do you need to know about plowing. up untill this year i did it with 7" of lift and 38's. the a- frame on the plow had be modified, and my bumper was all custom. my winch bolted into the plow mounts. the worst parts are the traction and vision. you cant see a damn thing, and the wide tires are terrible in snow. any questions let me know
    Ryan

3. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member