Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so am i beyond redneck? (step suggestion?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Loose Nut, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

I need some sort of step to get into my big ass Jimmy. its alot higher then i planned and well.....as it sits ill kill my self getting in it lol.

Im thinking about taking a chain, and bolting it to the body and using it as a foot hole to get in the jimmy.

is that beyond gay? or....if i just loop it around my seat braket i can pull it in the jimmy when im driving lol.

i need something, and i dont think i really wanna go the route of fabbing up a slider with a step.

any suggestions? Im lost.

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the hoopII and love it to death. It bolts up quickly and supports a ton of weight without flexing or stressing the mounting point.

http://www.carr.com/steps.asp

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No the chain aint to ghetto/redneck it's better than those crappy chrome tube thingys you see on all the poser trucks

4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

yea this isnt a bling bling mall crawler, its a crawler/mudder. Im just looking for a easy way to get in my truck with out getting anything that would make me get hung up.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

a chain !?!?!

that is about the most redneck thing i could think of :doah:

lift your leg, like a real man,,,,:D

6. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

my truck is up here ----------------

my leg is down here ---------------------------

im a short stubby bastad!

7. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the same problem a bad leg that won't bend . I'm thinking about trying to make something using steel cable,make a lupe or with a step. I've seen this done on some heavy equipment.Also might try to make so it can pull up out of the way. Where are you in Md ?

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have seen stirrups like on a saddle.

Those chain ladders for escaping from fire.

I was going to do some removeable steps on the jimmy that slip over the slider and then could just slip off. Wife didn't want to scratch the slider so she got a two step step stool.:rolleyes:

Just put one of those little exercise tramps in the truck. Throw it on the ground and voila. Here I come flying the thru the air and into the truck. Ding. Dang roll cage.:haha:

Its your rig do what you like and whatever works. Besides it looks much cooler to use some assistance getting into the rig than splitting your pants from stem to stern because you are trying to lift your leg up that high. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I think a chain step is a good idea. Just have a good hand on something to steady yourself when it swings away.

I have been through a few pair of pants getting into and out of the 'Burb, and it really isn't that tall, yet....

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

chain is a great idea since you can tuck it out of the way when its not in use. someone recently posted taking a length of chain, bolting the ends up and welding a few inches of the middles links so that they stay rigid.

11. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

My idea was to buy or make hoops with a hinge. That way you can fold them under the body and out of the way when not in use. I'm still not even running yet, but when i do make them i'll post it up here.

12. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

some ole boy has been making the chain steps and selling them the y look ok. just weld the middle three or four links

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yea, you want something stiff under your sole, but will fold-up as you're going over. Then again, I can just see it getting ripped off on the rocks.

14. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

Well the idea behind it would be to have it spring loaded so it would naturally want to sit undernearth the body, laying flat against the bottom of the floor. Then just pull it out and have it lock into a down position so you can step onto it. Once you get inside have a simple release to use the spring action to go back to the resting position. I know it sounds complicated, but it would be much cheaper than a motorized unit and there would be no chain there to snag on rocks and trees. Again, I am planning on building one in the near future and i will post up the parts and process once i've made it. :waytogo:

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Advance Adapters has one that fits that description, check it out. IIRC their's could've used improvement.

16. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what matt said, weld some links in the middle so they are rigid but it still has floppy sides so if you go over rocks it still folds up to the panels. It would look like this

\_/

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nuttin wrong with chain steps. They are 100x less lame than the standard truck steps that 99% of street trucks have these days... you know, the land-anchor type? Its sort of like when you see a truck with lights mounted under the front bumper. Doesn't matter what else the truck has on it, you know its a street queen.

j

18. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

The chain works great. Weld up a few link or put a small piece of tube over it. Mount it to the seat brackets or just inside the cab. Before you close the door just pull the chain step in the cab with you. No snaggys or landanchors.

Eric

19. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

lol thanks, i think ill try the chain out :P but yea like someone said lol i can see it being a shin buster of you dont have a good hold on something hahaha

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

This is one the back of my ambulance/worktruck. If I ever get enough lift, its going on the driver side.:D

cstep 001.jpg

cstep 002.jpg

cstep 003.jpg