Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So, anyone else F' up their 14 bolt like this? *pics added*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Sep 7, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

So, anyone else F\' up their 14 bolt like this? *pics added*

Last night I was pulling out of a parking lot, and gunned it and the rear started vibrating really bad, I thought it was just wheelhop and laughed it off then jumped on the gas peddle again in traffic but the vibes continued. Drove for about 1 minute and parked got out and look under. The driver's side u-bolts had come loose and the spring perch was sitting about 20 degrees away from the block. The kicker was, the other side was still attached tightly. Upon closer inspection, the pumpkin had turned upwards with the driver's side tube causing a hellaciously bad angle on the pinion. I couldnt see very well because it was dark, but it looked like the passenger side tube somehow turned inside of the housing, causing them to be at different angles. I was still able to drive it home, and it hasnt been gushing fluid, but some gear oil has dripped off the bottom of the pumpkin. As soon as I get my puter un-f'ed up, I'll post pics (yes, my puter and my burb f'ed up on the same day /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). This has me peeved because now I'm a broke college student living 200 miles away from my shop. Luckily, I have another 14 bolt housing at my shop, but it'll need new spring perches. Man this makes me wicked pissed. The only complete spare axle I have is a 14 bolt SF in another truck that is not running so I may yank that one, put it in the burb, take the burb back home, take my 4.56's and detroit from the fubar'd axle and put them in the new housing, then put my hubs and disk brakes from the fubar'd axle on the new housing, as well as spring perches. This is all kinda strange too, I had just drove almost 800 miles round trip this weekend and the damn thing finally let go when I had gotten back to school. So, anyone ever had anything like this happen before?
    Here you can see my new driveshaft angle
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see how exactly the driver's side tube and differential is sitting right now
    [​IMG]
    This is how loose the u-bolts got
    [​IMG]
    This is what the u-bolts should look like
    [​IMG]
    Here is the passenger side, still intact
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see how far the axle turned. Before the incident, the T-fitting for the brakeline was about 1/2" away from that wertical bracket, now its about 6"
    [​IMG]

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: So, anyone else F\' up their 14 bolt like this?

having the axle housing shift? Not me personally heard about it happening. GM in their infinate wisdom press fitted the axle tubes into the pumpkin. only solutions are:

Axle truss
    tube weld (weld a bead between the axle tube and the pumpkin).
    Axle locator (put some arms on to help locate the axle).

Dunno what caused the u-bolts to come loose-maybe add a ny-lock on top of that?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, Richard (chvyhs) on here, had his do it at Blazerfest this year. I had to tow him back to his house.

4. afroman006

I dont know what made them come loose. They had been there with no problems for the 4 or 5 months I've had it in there. I'm thinking I might do the truss routine, but I wont be welding the tubes. As good as I know it would be, I know that you would prety much have to heat the whole damn pumkin to red hot to make sure that the cast iron doesnt crack, because if it cracked, I'd be up [censored] river, not creek, river. The only concern is time. Yay, more axle fun... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If only I had a rocket propelled grenade... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can weld to a diff just fine. See my anti wrap bar post about that one.

Lots of people weld to differentials.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know what made them come loose. They had been there with no problems for the 4 or 5 months I've had it in there.

[/ QUOTE ] Did you re-torque everything after about 100 miles after the install?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The axle tubes are pressed in and then they plug weld the housing and tubes together. I'd drill out the plug welds on the side that turned and re-weld them. The diff housing should be ductile cast which takes to welding a lot better than regular cast. I'd still pre-heat the area a little, but it shouldn't crack.

Rene

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

TORQUE BABAY!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

We had a '02 cummins with 42s at work, he balooned the u bolts, rolled the perches and block, and broke the center pins, it was ridiclous.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Seen it 3 times 2 different rigs both Big Block power and in the mud.
    72 K5 with an old Eaton diff and 38" boggers.
    1st time just spun the tubes in the perches.
    Rewelded them good and tight and spun the housing on the tubes. Now verything is welded solid.
    The other was In a 70 something Ford with a D70 and running 44's.. spun the housing on the tubes.

10. afroman006

No, I never checked them with a torque wrench, but I did use a normal wrench. I just found this strange because I had been driving with no problems for about 6000 miles, 800 of which were this weekend. I think it'd be easier and cheaper to just build the new housing I have. What sucks is, my truck is nothing extraordinary. It has a bone stock TBI 350 and 4.56's with a detroit and 36" TSL radials. Hardly an axle busting setup, especially on pavement. Would I be able to just weld the housing with my MIG plain wire, or will some different kind of wire be needed? I dont have a buzz box, just a MIG.

11. afroman006

Re: So, anyone else F\' up their 14 bolt like this? *pics added*

Pics posted at top.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the next time I have the welder out, I'm welding my tubes to the pumpkin. Even if I only tack it, I don't want to take any chances.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your diff is already welded Tim...they all got welded when they were built. If you look at the outer ends of the housing where the tubes press in, look inboard an inch or so and check all the way around. You should see what looks like an ugly spot weld on steroids. That's a Rosette or plug weld...

I'd guess the loose U-bolts greatly contributed to the problem with this diff. It would have been able to rotate some and shock load the tubes...

Rene

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah I know, they're plug welded. I meant welding the tube where it enters the diff itself. Having broken those plug welds in the past, it sucks. That was my 12 bolt though...and the R&P had locked up to cause it after the pinion bearings failed.

I see what you're saying about the shock loading from all that movement. I generally check my junk quite often, especially when I get new U bolts, because they will stretch.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The mild steel tubes don't like to be fully welded to the cast center section. I reccomend a tube type truss for anti tube twist.
    [​IMG]
    I think something like this can do very well with out fully welding. The mild steel expands and contracts (with temp and load) different than the cast center so the welds will most likely crack (read fail). I would not go with the full weld route.

my .02

as a side note Rene (tRustyK5) is a weldor by trade so I would go by what he says to begin with.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Maybe I'll just leave it, it's lasted this many wheeleies fo far. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. afroman006

Now I'm leaning more towards the truss only route. That's like 5 people that have recomended NOT full-circle welding. I think its new shock mount time too /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would get new U" bolts and nuts, Torque them to 140ft.lbs.A drop of red Loc-tite on the threads. Maybe do a shackle flip tp get rid of those rear blocks also.

19. afroman006

I have a shackle flip. Those are only 2" blocks. I planned on doing the loc-tite routine though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The blocks kinda defeat the purpose of the shackle flip don't they /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif