Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So.. Black smoke out the exhaust means?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Feb 4, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

And could have anything to do with the mud pit my truck died in? And should I replace the spark plugs? I was able to make it back from the pit home alright (despite a bent radiator fan which I just finished replacing), ran like crap but it made it back. I figure if I'd let it run itd stop with the smoke but with side exhaust and parked next to the neighbors white car I figured that wouldnt be a good idea :haha:

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

gas? runnin rich prob. just elt it idle a bit andit *should* fix itself, if it dont. its something with the valve or intake probaly.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

carb is knocked way out of adjustment. A tune up wouldn't be a bad idea. Plugs may be fuel fouled now. Definetally need to adjust the fuel way back. Black smoke is unburnt fuel.

4. lochenjons

I let it idle and it stopped smoking but now its running like crap like really really bad. The whole engine shakes a LOT. If I give it gas itll sputter pretty bad and then almost die after I let up. I'm hoping its just running really rich and it isn't anything more major. How do I adjust the fuel? Also once I got it running in the mud pit I gave it some gas to get out and then I shut it off and when I started it again it revved way high like the throttle cable was stuck or something. I tried to mess with it but didnt really do anything and eventually it stopped revving so high. Once I get it kinda running I'll change the plugs and everything

5. BenDover

BenDover Registered Member

not enough air

6. lochenjons

Solution?

7. BenDover

BenDover Registered Member

make sure the engine is getting air. check air cleaner. maybe some carb adjust..

8. lochenjons

Alright I pulled one of the plugs and its completely black...I mean BLACK. So I'll replace all the plugs and see how it goes from there

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yup, spark plugs are the main component of the engine receiving air :waytogo:

10. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

:bow:

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am the only one here who knows what the hell is going on here? :rolleyes:

The only way to totally clear up these issues is to rebuild the carb. I guarente you that mud/water got into the carb and is choking off passages inside the carb. I have been there several times before and adjustments will improve it i guess along with spark plugs and a new ari filter. But I highly recomend not replacing the spark plugs until you clear up the carb because all you will do is foul up a new set of plugs. Only after you got the thing running right then you replace the plugs. Believe me plugs are NOT the root of your problem only a mere symptom. Also just for your reference black smoke means running WAY rich. And someone said it before, your carb isn't supplying enough air to the engine. Make sure your choke isn't closed partially. You said that your engine reved way up and stayed there, I had the same thing happen to me, the problem was that the secondaries were stuck slightly open.

But really don't bother messing around with adjustments yet, rebuild the thing because you have dirt in there. Also once you are done replace your air filter, and then spark plugs. Also if you sucked mud into the carb, it is likely its gotten into other places too like your oil, trans, t-case, and your diffs. Check them out to make sure you don't have sludge in them.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

no you're not th eonly one that may know what's going on,,,i was being sarcastic,,,,:crazy:

I mean it's only common sense, that when people tell you to check for air delivery problems, you should start with looking at the air filter and go from there,,,i honestly don't know where he got the idea to change the spark plugs.:confused:
    Just because they are fouled up, only means it's running rich, again, NO AIR FLOW, or as mentioned carb problem. But start with the easy stuff first.

Pull the air filter out and replace it, then see how it runs. then read a book on how to tinker with motors....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  13. lochenjons

I wasn't gonna change the spark plugs untill I figured out what was fouling them but I didnt get a whole lot of suggestions :rolleyes:. So from what you said it sounds like chances are this will happen again, am I gonna just have to keep rebuilding the carb over and over again? The only reason I ask is I didnt do a whole lot to mess it up in the first place...the whole thing died instantly. Would this be a good enough excuse to get a nice qjet or should I just rebuild it? Could I get away with just spraying a ton of carb cleaner into it or I have to for sure rebuild? I dont know much more about carbs except how to adjust them and a very basic understanding how they work, I've never rebuilt/repaired/anything a carb

I checked everything obvious already (airfilter, etc). I was talking with my autoshop teacher and he said carb cleaner and check the sparkplugs. After checking them and confirming my suspicions that they were completely fouled I decided to replace them. I was gonna still spray the carb with carb cleaner and clean it up as best I could before I replaced them, but now I may have to rebuild it? Airfilter is relatively new by the way and it doesnt look too clogged up or anything

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya you are going to have to rebuild the carb. Thats the only way you can really do anything about it. Spaying carb cleaner on it will just wash dirt off the outside and not help you at all.

And yes this will happen again unless you get a snorkle or change your drinving style. Its happened to me 3 times, and since then I have changed my driving style.

15. lochenjons

Ok rebuild carb, new plugs, new air filter, and change of driving style it is! I looked up the ID numbers on the carb and it was made in 1974 (It's a rochester qjet btw) would it be worth it to get a newerish carb? I've done some searching on rebuilding the carb already but do you guys have any good links I might have missed? Reccommened rebuild kits? Any random advice for a noob? thanks guys :bow: