Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Cal Blazer Safari - Final Thread

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Sep 27, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok Guys and Gals, I was asked to make one, final thread for all of us going to the Blazer Safari, so here it is.
    (This is kinda long, but hopefully informative!)

First of all, for a refresher, this trip is being held out at Truckhaven Hills on the weekend of October 5-7th! I have posted directions several times in the other posts, but here is a simplified version:

From North: I-5 south to the 210 (Pasadena) Freeway East. 210 East to the 10 East. Take 10 East just past Palm Springs to the 86S Expressway. From there it is 32 miles south on the 86S to "North Marina Drive". And remember, you stay on 86S THE WHOLE WAY (don't get off like was posted on here a long time ago) When you reach N Marina Drive, turn right, and the road ends in about 1/2 mile, turns to dirt. Most likely we will be setting up where the paved road ends - if not, continue on the dirt road and you will see us ahead. Just for your knowledge, you will see the sign for "Salton City" BEFORE you reach N Marina Drive, by about 1/2 mile or so...

From the South there are several ways depending on where exactly you are coming from, so maybe some of the guys coming from that way can help me out??

Also, there IS a place to get gas (it was open last time I was down there 3 weeks ago) within a couple of miles. There is also a small mini-mart place close, although I can't vouch for what they have. If you are needing groceries, your best bet is probably stopping somewhere in the Indio area.

The camping situation is best described as "bring everything you need"! In other words, it is a "Primitive" camping area, no shelters, no bathrooms, no showers, no running water. Those of you who have EZ-Up type shelters would be smart to bring them for those in your parties that want to get out of the sun for a while. Also, bring plenty of water/drinks/ice, for this IS a desert! Some of us So Cal guys are going to try to bring firewood, so those of you coming long distance don't have to worry about packing that.

Temperatures are expected to be in the high 90s daytime/low 60s at night. Scattered Thunderstorms are expected Tuesday/Wednesday, so we might get LUCKY and have some MUD if all goes right! Last February I was there and some of the washes were gooey mud! Keep those fingers crossed!! [​IMG] Don't forget the sunblock!!

Cell phones don't work too well out there, so don't count on them. We will be monitoring CB CH 4, so those of you with CBs can try that. I am sure that those of us who get there early Friday will go out and "explore", so if you get there and see an empty camp, try to reach us, or look for the dust. However, please don't go too far away from camp if you are alone, as it is VERY easy to get lost back there! I know, because we got lost last time!

Several people have inquired about bringing quads, motorcycles, etc - please, bring them! This is just a big excuse for us to go have fun, so bring whatever you have fun with!

The type of wheeling out here is typical desert terrain for the most part. There aren't many rocks at all, so this is not a "rockfest". It is mostly soft dirt and sand, with terrain features that resemble "mini-mountain ranges". There are hundreds of washes in the area.

And lastly, this terrain is generally "do-able" by all types of 4 wheelers. Sure, there are lots of areas that will test most everyone, but just about anyone can come out here and have fun. There are all kinds of optional obstacles for those who want them, and for those just looking to have fun, well you won't be disappointed!

Food situation - we agreed way back when that it was easier for everyone to just bring their own food, makes for much easier planning that way. I am sure a few of us will bring some "extras", so feel free to bring your specialties and share, that always makes it fun! I find that when I go out in the desert environment, I usually don't eat as much due to the heat, but that's just my observation. And what I do like is cool, juicy stuff, lots of fruit and things that don't make you so thirsty.

Whew!! If anyone reads all of this, you win a prize!! ha,ha Man, my fingers are sore!! Well, hopefully that covers most of it, but if anyone has anything else to share, please do!!

One last thing, maybe the So Cal guys can indicate who is able to bring firewood?? That way we can gauge how much we will have.

Also, if everyone else would take a minute to "confirm" their plans to attend, that would be cool. And please indicate what time/day you think you will be there, that way we can try to include as many people as possible in the wheeling and whatever else!

Oh, and one other important thing - Budweiser or Coors?? [​IMG] I'm sure I can find enough ice to keep a keg cold for at least Friday night, anyone interested?? (See, if people don't read my whole speech, they will miss this IMPORTANT info!!) [​IMG]

This looks like it will be a fun trip!

Ok, I know you are all tired of reading this, so if I think of other things I will post them later. And if anyone else wants to add anything, please do!!!

Keith

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I will be there. I should be leaving w/ the So Cal Caravan on Fri. morning. I am bringing two of my friends with me.
    In answer to your question: Bud.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ring one up for the "Bud" camp! [​IMG] I am going to have to think about how to keep the damn thing cold out there...I am figuring on a trash can, but how long you think the ice will last?? I guess we will have to make ice runs during the day?? [​IMG]

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I am definitely in For Sat.and Sun.
    Two friends MIGHT go...

I will see about some firewood.

Surfing is Life...

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'm out there, I'll know about firewood this weekend.
    DosX

Jeromy, mabe you can pass out some of those cupons out there :-) who knows if you get enough people going you could get a free one, LOL...

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis</a>

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

dang that sounds like a lot of fun.. Im in san diego county and would love to go but my daily driver truck isnt really up to it and I dont have my other project on the road yet .. on top of that few of my blazer driving buddies' rigs are on jackstands too :( maybe in a few months if there is another i'll come out, and bring some friends who are really into wheeling, especially that terrain.. I love that type of desert terrain, thats what Ocotillo Wells is all about (about 1hr from where I live)... Im about 1.5hrs south of the 10 freeway.. take some pics !

mike

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Ah, So ya going public with the CUPONS huh! That ain't right bro...hehe But now that you mention it....hehe

Surfing is Life...

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have a keg tap if ya need it!...and no coors please...i dont like piss water! haha if ya end up gettin a keg let me know so then i dont need to haul as muck beer down there...then i can plan for cash to chip into it.
    Chaz

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Ok,

for those of us from san diego, here's an alternate route.
    drive east I-8 towards El Centro,
    take Imperial Ave Exit,
    Imperial Ave turns into the 86s,
    then exit east on N Marina Drive.
    it's about 150-170 miles depending on the area you live.

EDIT
    Just got some info from Andy, Forester Rd is a bit dangerous at night. Imperial ave turns into the 86 just as we head out of El Centro.
    EDIT

I'm planning on caravaning with Jeromy(bigblue). we'll be leaving san diego friday around 5pm. then we'll meet Andy(K10ANDYKHAMNIC) somewhere near El Centro.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My pics</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by arq on 09/28/01 12:13 PM.</FONT></P>

10. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i'll try and be there. i got to get my truck up and running
    everytime i fix something i find something els wrong. i try and get there though. wish me luck

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I'll be driving out with the So Cal group on Friday morning.
    Bud sounds good to me.

And for those of you that would like to participate in the tater gun accuracy contest(just made that up) Be sure to bring your potatoes. I'll supply the gun and fuel but no ammo.[​IMG] I'd be packed with just potatoes and no room for tools if I did that.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My vote is for a keg of each, oh wait i'm not going. If I knew there gonna be a keg i would go, but my weekend is booked. Out of town tomorrow and helping afriend motor swap on saturday.

<font color=red>Defeat is not being knocked down, it's not getting back up</font color=red> <font color=black>Stand Strong, Stand United</font color=black>
    <font color=orange> 1955 Willy's</font color=orange>

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Azblazer and his two K5's stand ready for action along with FWP. We will be leaving out friday am early and meeting in quartzsite it looks like to caravan in along with Marv...see ya all there!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

14. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was asked to make one, final thread for all of us going to the Blazer Safari, so here it is.

<hr></blockquote>
    It was only a sugestion.................And I said I would do it......HaHaHaHa.......[​IMG]

Whew!! If anyone reads all of this, you win a prize!!

<hr></blockquote>
    What did I win........YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaa........I get a prize.

And if anyone else wants to add anything, please do!!!

<hr></blockquote>
    Money, Cash, Cashola, Greenbacks............Whatever you call it, bring some for the stickers. You won't want to leave without one.

Oh, and one other important thing - Budweiser or Coors??

<hr></blockquote>
    Come Awn...............What's up with the wuss beer.......I think a keg of Serria Nevada Pale Ale sounds great........[​IMG] J/K (about the wuss part)

I have a tap and the CO2 bottle if you go this route. That way you don't have to use a Bronco Pump and ruin any beer that is left in the keg.

I got a question for everyone...........Who likes BIG beer?

I have two 5 gallon kegs of home brew that could be transported and served in the same fasion as Keith has stated. (Trash can and Ice.) The thing here is that they are verry hoppy/malty beers. (They are in no means diet beers.) One of them is what I consider a IPA. It has been dry hopped for more "Flavor" and has a ABV of 7%. The other is a Barley Wine. Yes, It is a beer but with the alcohol content (ABV of 9.5%) aproching wine. Both of these beers will kick your a$$ pritty quickly but are not for all people. People who like "Lite" beers will most likely NOT like these. So If I get enough response here I just might bring out one or both kegs, and those that drink it with me will not be doing any night runs inless it is in the passenger seat. [​IMG]

One last thing, maybe the So Cal guys can indicate who is able to bring firewood??

<hr></blockquote>
    I am going to be pulling out the back seat of my K5 and loading it up with would. I don't know if I will be offroading it much, but it will be there.

Also, if everyone else would take a minute to "confirm" their plans to attend, that would be cool. And please indicate what time/day you think you will be there

<hr></blockquote>
    I have several friends coming with me. There will be my K5 along with a white Z71 (pulling a small trailer) and then a motor home (pulling a inclosed trailer that says "SLUTS R US" on the side of it) and possibly a few more vehicles. We are going to try and be there around 10:00 to 11:00 and maybe earlier.

See Ya out there,
    Keith

Oh Yea, did I remember to say.............Bring Cash For Stickers............

And don't count on someone having change, meaning if you know you want only one gring $6.00 not a ten spot. If you want two bring two $5.00 bills or one $10.00 bill, not a twenty.

[​IMG]...It's going to be fun.....[​IMG]

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Keith,

Hey, if you don't mind, I Love home brew! I'll chip in if you want to bring that, and then the rest of us can bring whatever else we want to drink also! Thanks for offering!

I have a couple of pallets that I will be taking apart this weekend, will be looking for more. My older brother cannot go with us now, so my storage space (GMC Yukon) is now limited to just my truck.

I can't wait to see this motorhome Keith!! ha,ha [​IMG] Sounds classic!!

And anyone that can bring wood, please let us know - and if at all possible, let us know what time and what day you will plan on getting there - we don't want to leave anyone behind when we go out wheeling or anything!

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Microbrew, whow that just might make the drive worth it. Do you have anything on the dark side(Stout,Porter,,,ect)
    ?

I am planning on leaving Tucson around 4-5pm thursday night, I-10 to I-8 then northwest from Yuma, anybody
    all the way what to caravan ?

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...BRING THE BEER! Is the barley wine like a Chamey(sp?)? I will pitch in (and so will my friends) if you bring it?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

18. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I am going to be pulling out the back seat of my K5 and loading it up with would.

<hr></blockquote>

I just reread my post and realized how I spelled wood. Too F#@ckin' funny. [​IMG]

As far as the beer goes I will bring my kegs with me we will just have to figure out the ice thing, Like I said before, if you don't like beer with alot of flavor and alot more color in it than pee then you might want to bring your own. As far as that goes everyone might want to at least bring some since this might go fast depending on how many people are drinking it.
    I myself will be bringing some sixers of other beer. I hate to run out of the important things. [​IMG]

Keith,
    The trailer is clasic. You should see the looks we get when we go out to Glamis. It is my father-in-laws (who is a clasic himself [​IMG]) motorhome and trailer. He and a bunch of his friend are Bikers (to the full extent of the word) and hate all of the "organized" clubs around so they came up with there own. It is really pretty cool, and I love the way it messes with most "normal" peoples minds.

See Ya,
    Keith

Oh yea, as far as pitchin' in cash for the beer. Don't worry about that, I just like to see people injoy the fruits of my labor. (and if you end up not liking my fruits, don't tell me. [​IMG])

We will need some of those plastic tumbler glasses thou. I will bring what I have at home but someone should probably pick up a few more from Costco or somewhere.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i am busting my @$$ to get out there. i will be making the trek from san jose so i might be a zombie when i get there =o)
    also, what time/where the SoCal group is meeting up? If any norcal's are going drop me a PM and we can caravan if i can get the days off work!

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

20. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Keith, I think that it's just gonna take some of us going to grab ice every few hours at the store, there's really no other way to do it! We will have an EZ-Up to cover it with, that will help.

Well, time to do some lubing and fixing on the ol' truck this weekend!!