Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Cal Day Trip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Oct 8, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, since it has been over two days since most of us went wheeling, it seems we are getting the itch to go again!! he,he [​IMG] What a terrible disease! ha,ha

So, we are trying to come up with a place to go on a day trip in the near future. On our latest post, the Cleghorn Trail (2N17X) on the backside of Arrowhead seems to be a popular trail. Some of us did that trail earlier in the year, and since some of the guys have "modified" since then, they want to attack it again with their upgraded hardware! This is a nice day trip, a pretty trail with great views and still has options for those who might want to take the easier lines as well as more hardcore sections. Like I said on the other post, if we can keep moving this time in reasonable time, we can also head on over to Deep Creek and do the 3N14 trail, which has some nice rocks! It is easy to get to Cleghorn, it is about half way up the Cajon Pass on I-15.

So, anyway, I figured I'd start the post (just tell me to stop! ha,ha) and see what people think. Let's hear ideas, ok!!??

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

plan it for a Sunday...

Surfing is Life...

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I know it's not only about me but the best sundays for me would be Oct. 21, Nov. 4 or Nov. 18. These are the Sundays that my wife has off and I REALLY would like for her and my oldest to go with me. The other Sundays will be a little harder to work out for me but i'm sure it'll still be do-able.

We'll definately do the Cleghorn trail but I don't think we will venture as far as Deepcreek. Being that it is her first time at any sort of trail ride I think I should take it easy on her. But we will be definately taking the more difficult side trails this time rather than the easy ones.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

4. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Hey all! -
    count me in SAT or SUN don't think the wife can join me this time, she started back to work. Truckhaven was a blast! And I lucked out with no carnage.

C-ya

BlazingWolf

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Cleghorn sounds good. When I first got my truck (last winter)I was there almost every week. I have done all the trails on cleghorn up to silverwood lake but haven't ventured down 2n17x. That is a nice area and I don't see why we coulden't make it all the way to deep creek if we start at dawn.

It is already starting to get colder...I need to work on my heater and maybe even a roof : ) if we go in Nov.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Sundays are cool. I can't do the Oct 21, but could do Nov 4 weekend and probably the 18th (but that's damn close to Thanksgiving!)

I agree, if we start nice and early, we should be able to get to Deep Creek in reasonable time. Last time, we didn't start as early and we also had some breakage (remember Jeromy? he,he) Yeah, it will definitely be much cooler up there by that time!

So, it sounds like Cleghorn is our destination of choice so far?? We just need to pick a date...

7. Esteban86K5

Nov. 4..... 6AM. (Yes I am an early riser)[​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, looks like Esteban will be there, is anyone else going to meet him?? ha,ha [​IMG] That sounds good to me on the 4th, hopefully that will work with everyone else. Who knows, if we get some luck we could possibly see a little snow before then?? Sure it won't stick down at Silverwood, but could be a touch up above Arrowhead. Thing is it doesn't usually start "sticking" til December or so...so probably not, but stranger things have happened!

Let us know if you can do a day trip on Nov 4th, meeting at 6AM at the McDonalds at Cleghorn Ave off the 15 (half way up Cajon Pass) - we will do the 2N17X trail and if time permits, will also do 3N14 (Deep Creek) trail. 2N17X is a cool trail, some rocks, but not as many as Deep Creek. It has many challenging offshoots that are optional.

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me, of course i may have to leave straight from work at 2 am and sleep in the parking lot, you guys will wake me up right? I better go warm up the sawzall, thats only a few weeks away.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

10. Esteban86K5

Hey you said early[​IMG]. That's when the sun comes up so it's a good time to start. Now lets see if my wife will go with me since she'll have to get up at 0 dark thirty to get there.

Either way, if she goes or doesn't, I won't be doing the Deep Creek trail. [​IMG]

11. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Wuss!! Of course i say that having never been there myself!

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ah come on! Why not, Esteban??? It only takes maybe two hours to run, is only about 2-3 miles long...[​IMG]he,he Better get those heaters working too! Should be a nice nip in the air up there by then!

Anyone else have any opinions on this? Dates, times, etc?? Who else can go on this one??

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Count me in, I'm sinking a bunch of money in my new motor this month so I'll have to do some creative welding to fix the leaf springs temporarily (crossing my fingers)... oh, and get a heater core. I'll be there!

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

14. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Count me in i should have my tranny fixed by then and more than ready to ROCK!

15. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Hey Keith Ill be there since i couldnt make it to the last one

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, sounds like that is a good day - so set it in stone - we will go to Silverwood Nov 4 and do the Cleghorn Trail (2N17X). We will meet at the McDonalds parking lot (same as last time) at 6AM Sunday morning! If we make good enough time, once we get to Arrowhead we will continue on and do Deep Creek (3N14) and do the T6 crossing and come out at Green Valley Lake, where we can take the highway back down and home. The 2N17X trail is doable by most 4x4s, although it has many optional "off-shoots" that will provide more challenge to those who want it. Deep Creek (3N14) has some cool rocky sections, especially just after driving through the creek. It also has the infamous "Devil's Slide" halfway up the trail (which has a go-around) which is the site of the most rollovers on the mountain! &lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif"&gt;

Anyway, here is how the list is starting out (I added a few names that always seem to show up, but if you can't make it, just tell me!):

Kpanza
    Coopertwpk
    86K5Trailblazer
    BorregoK5
    Esteban86K5
    Preston
    Brian
    Ryan
    RaisedK5
    Triaged
    BabyBlue
    bigblue
    Blazen91
    Blazingwolf
    John/Vickie
    ??

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by kpanza on 10/12/01 04:29 PM.</FONT></P>

17. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me!

Surfing is Life...

18. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Hey, since you need rear springs anyway.... now would be a great time to "Springerize" it for the long travel, eh!?!?

Marv

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'd like to explore that option, I'm a couple months away from getting the new lift and such worked out (axles, gearing, drivelines, etc...) and have to say I'm impressed with the flex on your truck!

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

20. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Sounds good to me!
    Nov. 4th 6am @ MCD's

BlazingWolf