Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Cal Wheelers - Memorial Day Big Bear Bash

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Apr 25, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey guys/gals,

Keith here again trying to stir up trouble again!! [​IMG] I wanted to see how many of you guys would be interested in a wheeling adventure on Memorial weekend?? A few of us are planning on going up to the Big Bear area and doing some of the great trails up there (John Bull, Dishpan Springs, Holcomb Creek, etc). There are lots of camping spots up there if people wanted to camp out (although I am sure that it will be crowded on such a popular weekend!) Let me know if you are at all interested and we can try to start coordinating a get together. I am going up there no matter what, and my brother and I plan on doing some fishing part of the time, and wheeling some of the time and just plain relaxing the rest! It is awesome weather up there at this time of year.

Anyways, if you think that would be fun, let me know. And yes, there are lots of trails that stock rigs can do, and plenty that will test the modified guys as well!

Keith

PS- Hope to see all of you out at Los Coyotes May 5-6 also!!

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Did anyone see this post, or did it just fall back to the bottom of the pile?? [​IMG] Let me know if you are interested - like I said, i am going regardless, just thought it would be a good place for everyone to meet. Talk to you all later.

Keith

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Which days, i have a wedding to go to Sat night. but i got Mon off, so Sun-Mon may be a possibility. But theres no way i can miss this wedding, a couple of my best freinds in the wolrd are getting joined and i want to be there. But it sounds like a great idea, since i missed Big Bear last time.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I will be up there Friday through Monday if all goes as planned! I am not going to wheel every day, but if we get a consnsus on which days would be better for everyone, we could plan a meeting spot.

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to get this back up so people see it! Let me know if anyone is interested, we will plan out a day(s) and meeting spot, ok? Talk to you guys later!

Keith

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have Sunday and Monday off. Count me and the wife in. If anyone else is interested, I would like to camp out on Sunday night. But I will be there either way.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Sunday is shaping up to be a good day for some of us? Whoever else wants to go, let me know. I am probably gonna fish Saturday, and possibly Monday also, so looks like Sunday will be the day that I try to John Bull, Dishpan Springs and Holcomb Creek. Anyone else interested in this trip?

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I wish I could go to this one but I have a party on Saturday and I volunteered to watch my sisters kids on Sunday and the Blazer only seats 5. Maybe I could catch you on Monday. The shoulder is feeling better with this second surgery. I tried to find you guys at Los Coyotes but I had no luck. I did try some of the trails up around creek road and bridge loop but I didn't want to get too deep into it with just me and my 4 year old James. I did find your camp with the duely and the trailer. On my way out I spoke with Lynn Reed. Did he catch up to you? I did some camping and fishing at Middle Fork and Lytle Creek this weekend with the family. We caught some Rainbow trout. Let me know how the fishing is up there that weekend.

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Chvyhs, I will let you know how the fishing is! I am hoping to go see Bear Creek, it is a little known creek that is below Big Bear Lake Dam, has wild brown trout in it! We are bringing the fly rods down there. Also plan to take the truck down Dishpan Springs and fish Deep Creek if we can. Monday is probably gonna be a short day, as traffic is always a pain in the *ss. Probably fish at the lake in the morning and get out of twon by early afternoon, probably won't be doing any wheeling that day. [​IMG]

Yes, we did see Lynn, he was waiting there when we came back...we must have just missed you, as we did some of Creek road and places around there Sunday!

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I saw the post and would love to go but both my blazer and my brother's Toy are nonop at the moment and will remain so for a while. I'm in the process of buying parts for and changing over to D60 and cross over steering. My brother blew his head gasket, we'll be working on that for awhile as we've never replaced one before(wish us luck) Anyway, I hope you guys have fun.

That's because I'm the devil.

11. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I'll try and make it...

[​IMG]

12. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to repost this. If you are going, Keith needs you to post here and let us know. All of our trips have been a load of fun and this one will be no different.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Not FROM the people

13. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Mike is right - we have had some great trips this year! And Big Bear is one of the nicest areas to wheel in So Cal! Hopefully we can get a nice group going. There are trails that will suit everyone, from hard to easy. I will say that 2 of the three major trails that we want to do are rated in spots as "Most Difficult" (John Bull and some of Dishpan Springs), so good clearance and a locker would make for a much more pleasant ride! However, I have seen almost stock rigs make it up Dishpan Springs with a lot of effort and skillful driving (Vickie in her black YJ Jeep come to mind! :)

Keith

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

OK, getting close to the weekend! So far, we have a smaller group going this time. As of right now, I have the following confirmed:

Kpanza
    Ryan
    Blazen 91
    Brian (my brother)
    John/Vickie
    Matt
    Lynn Reed

And the possibles:

Raised K5
    Big Blue
    ???

The plan is to wheel Sunday, the 27th. We intend to do John Bull for sure, then make our way to Holcomb Creek (3N93) and 2N06X. Hopefully we will have the time to then go down to Dishpan Springs and come up the Dishpan Springs Trail. Hope to see all of you there, let's come up with a good meeting point and time this week, ok? Talk to you all this week.

Keith

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, haven't heard from anyone!! I guess I will just post a meeting time and place and hope everyone shows up! [​IMG] We need to meet somewhat early Sunday, as the trails are going to be pretty busy I am sure. So, I am thinking that we meet at 7:30 AM...I still need to talk to Lynn Reed (he lives right there in Big Bear City) about where the easiest place to meet would be, but do you guys remember the place we met last time in Fawnskin? I will let you know a specific location as I get it from him...

Let me know what you guys think. Also, Mike, if this will not work for you at all, let me know, we will try something different if we have to...I don't want to screw you out of this, since you were one of the only guys to confirm and commit! Maybe we will plan on wheeling Monday also if we can't fit everything in Sunday. I know that we can get John Bull and Holcomb Creek done in a day, but if we start later, we might not get Dishpan Springs in (since the best way to do it is to drive down to Arrowhead and come uphill). Call me on my cell (949)293-4439 or at home (949)380-7456. I will be home late tonight, I am going with my younger brother Preston to pick up his "new" truck - he just bought a sweet 1972 Bronco...it is really nice, I can't wait to help him build it up!

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, I guess i will post a meeting spot and time, and if you guys show up you show up! As of right now, we plan on meeting at 9:00 in Fawnskin, right where the Fire Station is (probably wait til about 9:30 or so). You basically take Hwy 18 up to Big Bear, when you get to the dam, stay left and you will be on Hwy 38 (don't go right like normal for the ski areas and city). Stay on 38 until you come to the Fire Station and a couple of little motels, etc (same place we waited on the snow run in January). This is where we will be meeting (as of right now). If you miss us here, we will be going to the trailhead from here, which you get to by continuing on down 38 til it hits Hwy 18 again (you will be at the far end of the lake now). Take 18 out of town (as if you were going down the mountain, not towards Big Bear) until you see the trailhead for 3N69. This is the trailhead for the Gold Mountain Trail, which is the way to John Bull and beyond.

My cabin number is (909) 867-3112 if you have any questions (we will be there Friday night thru Monday). Lynn Reed's number is (909) 866-7713 (tell him you're with our K5 group and Keith and he will let you know if anything has changed). I think that we will also be wheeling on Monday (if our trucks survive Sunday!), so if that is an option for anyone, make sure you call us to find out where we will be going.

Hope you guys can make it, should be a challenging, fun weekend!!

Keith

PS- if anything changes between tonight and tomorrow, i will post it again. After tomorrow I am without internet access, so you're best bet is to try calling us up there.

17. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, a couple of changes to make:

We will be meeting now at the Ultramar station in Arrowbear before we meet Lynn up in Big Bear. The Ultramar is in Arrowbear, just past Running Springs. Basically, take the Hwy 18 up the mountain to Running Springs. About a mile past Running Springs is "Arrowbear", this is where the UltraMar station is. We will be gassing up there, and they also have food and sandwiches. We are meeting there at about 8:30-9:00 Sunday morning. From there we will travel up to Fawnskin to meet Lynn and whoever else is up in Big Bear at the Fawnskin Fire Station. We will be on Ch 4 CB.

Whoever is going, PLEASE call me at the cabin either tonight or Saturday night, so that I know who we are waiting for, ok??? My number up there again is (909) 867-3112. Right now, I have the following people going:

- Kpanza
    - Brian (my brother)
    - Ryan (buddy with the TJ)
    - Blazen91
    - Cooperptwk
    - Matt
    - John/Vickie
    - Peter M
    - Lynn

If anyone else is going please either post here before 2 o'clock or call me at the cabin! Thanks, and looking forward to doing some awesome wheeling!! [​IMG]

Also, we are tentatively planning on going wheeling Monday morning also, just a short trip up Dishpan Springs (although the difficulty will make it seem longer! ha,ha) See y'all up there!!

Keith

18. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Still no posts, huh? Oh well...well, I am leaving here, heading up to Big Bear tonight. I guess we will see who shows up. I will be leaving the UltraMar gas station NO LATER than 9:00, and leaving Fawnskin NO LATER than 10:00.

If you need directions, call me at the cabin (909)867-3112 (no answering machine, so keep trying!)

19. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Slight change in the meeting place. I will be at the Wal-Mart shopping center at the bottom of the 330 at 7:30am. We will leave there at no later than 8:00 to be at the ultra mart by 9:00. If you are running late, call my cell at 760-963-9933. Looking forward to a great trip and camp out.

Not FROM the people

20. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great trip guys! That John Bull is one heck of a trail! I was seeing boulders in my sleep last night! ha,ha We should have plenty of great pics, I heard my brother saying something about over 100 pics! Glad we didn't have too much carnage, just mainly body dents, scratches, my newly shaped Smittybilt steps!

As soon as my brother gets me the link for the photo album, I will post it on here. Where we going next???

Keith