Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So... do i REALLY need dust shields???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwdjunky, May 29, 2004.

1. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

OK, finally got all the parts for the D60 together (except Randy's sent me a 30 spline ARB instead of a 35 spline, waiting to hear back from them on that) and am ready to start painting and assembling. So I'm looking at all my newly sand blasted parts and I notice the dust sheilds are a little banged up and rusted pretty thin in some places. Is there any real NEED for these on a truck that sees mainly trails, very little if any daily driver use? When you do a disk brake conversion for a rear axle there aren't any. I can't see any reason to bother painting and installing these things. Any thought from the peanut gallery? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks! Rich.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I took the driver's side apart on mine recently and took the oppertuntiy to throw the first one away. One of these weekends when I get around to it and install my new axle joints and probably 35 spline outers by then, I'm going to throw the other one away.

In other words, I'm not going to take mine apart just to ditch them, but the next time I have mine apart, its not going back on.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm taking mine off, make sure you leave the little sheild that sits inside the rotor on though.

Looks better, works better, and crap doesnt get stuck in there!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hope they arent really nessasary--they rot off in about 3 years in my area--mine are MIA! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought....wondering why I didn't think to ask this question before I paid to have them sandblasted /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Anybody need ready to paint D60 dust shields cheap? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Anyone....?