Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So E85?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I realize that our old gen 1 V8 aren't compatable, but I just want to know the scoop.
    I overheard the tanker truck driver talking to the gas station attendant. They were talking about how E85 is going to be in gas stations soon in my area. And that Mobil just started to offer it. He also said that it was supposed to reduce the price of gas, but the farmers can't keep up with the demand so the prices actually got higher. :mad:
    I have not seen or heard anything about E85 coming to a gas station near me other than this guy talking about it. I googled it with no real results. So uh WTF mate?

2. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

yea e85 is becoming more and more popular it is 85% ethanol (Alcohol) and 15% gas it will reduces emissions greatly but hurts your gas mileage a little they will likely have E10 (10% ethanol) also which you can run in any engine. I did my high school senior exit project on ethanol and bio diesel

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

cant you run it in any carb'd vechicle by just rejetting it????

4. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

the ethonal is more corosive, the flex fuel vehicles that can run this fuel have different fuel systems because of this, (stainless steel fuel lines, ect.)

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Its starting to pop up more and more around here. It is significantly cheaper, although it decreases mileage. If I had a vehicle that would run it I would, manly to try and help out the Corn Market.

A friend of mine tryed tellin me the way his 355 is built, he could put an alcohol carburator on it and run E85. Does anyone have any info about this?

From what Im told it is to "dry" for other vehicles to run.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Hmm, that prolly means its no good for motor seals... what wuld need to be done to build a motor to run on e85

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The fuel system needs to be compatible for alcohol use. Alcohol is a very corrosive fuel so anything aluminum must be hard anodized so the corrosive fuel won't attack the aluminum.

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another big problem with alchohol fuels is that they are very water absorbant. Do not let a half full tank of E85 sit for several rainy days, or you will end up with a full tank...1/2 tank of E85, and 1/2 tank of H2o :D.

9. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I read an article not too long ago cause its stations around here are starting to sell it. The article said that all that is needed is rejetting of the carburetor and fuel lines that wont corrode. It also helps to have a high compression and to speed the timing up a little bit. It also said that with gasoline you should have like a 14:1 air fuel ratio and with ethanol you should have about 7:1 so you would use twice as much. I like it cause it helps the farmers.:D and may invest in some parts so I can run it.

10. 1-ton

I think the fuel of the future should be Bio-Diesel. There are no draw backs to using this fuel I can find. It is not corrosive, it is not water absorbent, reasonbly easy to refine, abundant and renewable, and puts out minimum hydro-carbons. Could you imagine every body in America running around in fuel injected, twin-turbo, super charged diesels :D.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no farmer (maybe one will chime in) but with all the energy spent on growing, moving and refining bio products, how much are we actually "saving" in energy consumption. Seems to me a bit like the electric cars. "They don't pollute!" (but just ignore the fact that all the energy in the car came from a coal fired or nuclear power plant)

I'm not poo-pooing these ideas at all, but I know at least some fertilizer comes from oil, and you will still need energy to refine the stuff.

The leftover grease and what not from things like cooking seems pretty cool, the stuff is a useable byproduct, so no additional refining necessary.

Just to clear it up, I like the idea of more open space (farmers will need to increase capacity) and keeping money out of the middle east, so if in the end it does both of those, I'd be happy.

I've heard and see the same things about Ethanol and Alcohol, local stations run 10% ethanol (or have signs on the pumps saying they do) and the effects on older vehicles. However, isn't CA one of the states that banned its usage because it contaminates groundwater too easily? My state (maybe it was just my extra liberal county) was requiring 10% in the winter, on top of the pollution issues, you had to use more of it to get the same distance, so pollution apparently wasn't cut down nearly as much as they thought. 10% is nothing compared to what they are talking about now, but at the time, it was a dumb idea. (MTBE was what they were using actually)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

13. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but May 5th all pump gas in the U.S. is required to be 10% ethanol.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

It would be great if they could finally get the concept of a dirty loud deisel out of everyones head. Also I dont care how good of winter fuel you have in something some times its just to damn cold to get a deisel started outside unless its parkin in a garage. And this is Iowa, I know we arent the coldest state.

As far as price I dont think ethanol will ever drive it down much, all the rat bastards at the top of the chain will find some bs excuse to raise prices. Im in the agriculture business, not a farmer but I deal with them and my father is one. Fertilizer prices are a direct result of petroleum prices. That stuff is skyrocketing just like gas and diesel is.

On another note, Im waiting for John Deere or someone to come out with a hybrid tractor so i can laugh my ass off at them for it. I mean, think about it I dont forsee Tractors or Semis ever being fuel effiecent they need the horsepower.

It all comes back to the same fraise that I find myself using more and more.

America wasnt made for high priced gas and Rural Iowa sure the hell isnt.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  15. Chevy305

Good ole' New England, one of the last states not to offer it. :doah:
    Taxachusetts, LOL :haha:

I looked at my local gas station and its $2.55 for regular and $2.77 for premium (which my compression forces me to get) :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

What we need is government investigations to why exactly the gas companies are raping at the pump. We all know gas will go over $3 this summer and stay that way at least until the winter. How many people are going to have stokes when they fill up before gas companies can stop blaming prices on Catrina? Also the damn tree huggin hippy librals won't let us drill in Alaska because it doesn't matter to them in their NBHSBC (No Balls Hibrid **** Box Car), but they care more about the ****in' birds than they do our economy.
    Sorry for the rant, I just filled up and tree huggers piss me off. :mad:

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The problem with prices last I had read is that refining capacity isn't large enough to meet demand. It's not the supply, it's the refining. (you'll see that OPEC has/had raised production, and price per barrel dropped, but gas prices at the pump didn't respond in a huge way) Diesel takes more refining than gas, thus the higher diesel prices.

Gas companies use the excuse that environmental regs make building new refineries prohibitive, (and other excuses I know) so if we don't do something to reduce demand for the fuel, and supply doesn't increase, we won't get back to where we were before.

Of course with all the US oil companies being "public" (traded) they have to make the shareholders happy. It certainly wouldn't look good for a company to make record profits, then the next quarter/year/whatever make less. Adding production capabilities cuts into profit, so why spend the money? Greater production would lower the cost at the pump, so they get hit with two losses.

I'm sure looking at the numbers, you'll see that fuel consumption throughout the country hasn't declined with the rising gas prices, which means people are not changing their habits and for the most part accepting the higher prices, so what incentive do the oil companies have to lower prices? The only way I see to change this is for people to stop complaining about who is in who's pocket, and stop using so much gasoline. (That or government regulation of the oil industry, but I doubt that will happen) That'll either serve to get the oil companies to lower prices to entice people to buy more, or raise prices to compensate for the volume lost, which will just encourage people to find other ways to get around.

At least SUV sales have taken it in the shorts. :)

If the alternatives like bio-diesel etc. can be PROVEN to be more efficient in production on the scale it would be needed, then it's a cinch. But if large scale production is no more cost effective than petroleum, (and this is whats talked about with hydrogen) it's just an alternative, not the solution.

If we'd spent the Iraq war funds instead on say ethanol, bio-diesel, solar and wind power, that would have driven down the costs of production by volume, which would perhaps have made it all viable. On a small scale, all of it is more expensive than petroleum at this point. And at that point, we could have stopped the flow of OUR money into terrorist producing/funding countries via oil.

Call me a tree hugger if you wish, but continuing with oil is just going to prolong our problems and involvement with the middle east, regardless of what we do with the environment because of said oil. Let them eat their only other available resource once we don't need their oil. Sand.

17. Chevy305

No I don't think that makes you a tree hugger, but if we are in Iraq, then why don't we have oil coming from them? Aslo I agree, I think that government regulation is needed on the oil industry. Though I know it won't happen and can't believe I said that because I am republican.
    Bush needs to take action and do it fast because the gas prices effect everything from shipping to fertilizer to cab fares. I think that this is will eventually lead to infation if nothing is done.

18. 1-ton

I hate to turn this post political, but thinking Bush wants oil prices lower is like saying Al Capone wanted gun control laws. :D

19. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

agreed

and E85 has been here for over a year now,

although not very many ppl can afford an E85 vehicle here

kind of pointless really

10% ethanol is in fuel here also

the MTBE is what they are working on banning

currently it is damned 2.65 for the cheap stuff.....

lol at the comment by Drey about rural IA and gas prices, that goes for rural IL over here too lol

no one can find work or $ here, either,
    so using a vehicle to go anywhere is now not happening much except when you really really need to