Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So everything is going great...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Aug 24, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Until I got to put my crank pulley back on. And I realize I broke the harmonic balancer puller bolt off in the crank when I had taken the balancer ff earlier in the day. So now what. I drill it out and try an easy out and it broke off inside of the bolt. What do I do now? Am I going to have to buy a new crank along with main and rod bearings? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've gotten broken taps and E-Z outs out by using a cutting torch,the metal the taps are made of will burn very quickly,before the surrounding metal does,if you are careful.The balancer (if still on the crank)may or may not survive,depending on how long you have to heat up the E-Z out before it burns up,a bigger torch tip will heat it up fast and prevent damage to the crank and the balancer.You might also be able to shatter the E-Z out with a punch and hammer and dig out the remains and drill the rest ot the bolt out. I got one broken bolt out of a crank that didnt break off flush by arc welding a nut to the broken stub and letting it cool off(the heat will soak into the crank and help loosen it)and then used an impact wrench to spin it out.I dont reccomend this,but I've seen some mechanics leave the broken bolt in the crank and use locktite to hold the balancer on- /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif--their theory is the old 283 and 327 motors never had a balancer bolt,and they dont see why they need one now--I prefer to have it the way it was built,if it had a bolt,it must be there for a reason!.Good luck,I know how it feels when things like this go wrong--seems to be the story of my life lately. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

is there any of the bolt sticking out/ LIke enough to weld a nut on it?

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

The bolt is broken off about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch into the crank. Will it work without a bolt. The crank pulley is held to the balancer with three bolts around this center bolt. Do you guys think it would work. I dont want to drop this much money into this motor since I am just swapping it out for a 402 as soon as I finish building my 402. (if you say it will work I promise not to get on here and rant and rave) I just dont want to drop anymore money into this motor.

Thanks bigpappa and diesel4me

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Is the engine in the rig or out? If its out I would suggest taking the crank out of the engine and bring it to a machine shop and they should be able to fix you up. If it's in, That's a tough one. I think I would pull it and fix it right. Big pain in the ace. Just curious didn't your harmonic balancer puller have a flat peice that lays across the end of the bolt? Mine does and it prevents the bolt from going in to the crank threads themselves. I know it doesn't matter now but was just curious.

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

It did but I forgot to use it. I know dumb a$$. So now I will do witht the consequences. It is back in the rig as of now. I just pressed it on and used the green (aircraft metel to metal) locktite. I called one of the machine shops here and he said it will be fine. He has done it before and I wont have any issues. Thanks. If it wasnt a temp motor than I would replace the crank but being it is a temp this will work.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Glad to hear you got it in. Good luck.