Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So exactly how strong is the ol' 208?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Feb 11, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

So exactly how strong is the ol\' 208?

All the responses here were quite surprising. Since I don't crawl up walls and mountains, it sounds as if ya'll think the 208 is worth keeping. Is it? Will it hold up to towning around 2 tons(cars) in a lifted truck with 35's? I'm not worried about the tranny in the least. The rebuild took care of that. If ya'll say keep it, I'll shop around for a better price on the rebuild. All I hear is horror stories of how the aluminum case cracks. But, then, the guys telling those stories were halfway up Mt. Fuji, north face. Snow, ice, pulling cars out of ditches, maybe some sand, dunes, trailriding, nothing fancy. 208 ok for all that? Be it stronger than I really think???<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by NewK5Guy on 02/12/02 02:18 PM.</FONT></P>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Re: Tired old 208 needs severance plan.

No, the 241 case for the 89-Up Blazers/Suburbans is still on the right side (front output). From what I have heard, it is a bolt-on affair. Just make sure you get the mechanical speedo version (89 only I think), the later ones were mostly electronic speedos. $1600 for a rebuild?? You can get a rebuilt 208 case from Boyce equipment for like $700!!!! And they're not known for good prices! You need to shop around and find a better shop...sounds like they are trying to screw you...and I don't think there are any lower gearsets for the 205 - you would have heard about them by now! I believe that they used the 241 case behind 3/4 and 1 ton dodges, so is more stout than the 208...it's no 205, but at least you get to have a 4 low range - the 205 is pathetically high for a "low range"...

Good luck with the search. Personally, I think I am going to wait til the 208 I have blows up (192,000+ so far) and then get a 241 to replace it...

Keith

So Cal Big Dawgs
    President

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i bought a rebuilt 208 from boyce equipment shipped 2 my door for $800 and it has worked great.
    i only have 2 thousand miles on it. i swapped a junkyard case first, but it kept popping out of 4 hi when hard on the gas, so when i put in the new crate motor and tranny, i went for a new case as well.
    i would definetly do it again. the people at boyce were great
    good luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I have a 208 from an 85 K5 that had 85K on it before the tranny blew. The t-case was working fine, but I don't need it because I went with a sm465/205 combo.

I am just down the road from you and actually will be in richmond this week if you could use it. It would be a lot cheaper than your 1600 fix. I would be more than happy to part with it cheap. What do you say??

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You can get a rebould kit from O'Reilly Auto Pats for a little over a $100, and it takes only about 4 hours to rebuild. The hardest part is pulling out of the truck, but still is very easy.

Houston, TX
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/cegusman>http://community.webshots.com/user/cegusman</a>

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Re: So exactly how strong is the ol\' 208?

ttt

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A NP208 is not a bad tcase if you don't put lots of power threw it. I wouldn't go mud racing or hardcore rock crawling with one. I have a 208, and it has about 150k and it is fine. It has been me and my dads hunting truck, offroading truck, daily driver, cruiser, etc. I have had to tow with it in four wheel drive in the snow and mud before and it did just fine. It sits behind a 300HP Chevy crate motor now and has been fine for about 20k behind that. If you are going to put in a big block or a hot small block you might want to change to a 205, but if not the I don't see the reason to swap. Just rebuild it with a new chain and take care of it and you should be fine.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

My 208 is behind a 6.2 diesel. No need to worry about big power there! I do plan on turbo'ing it next year so the torque numbers will go up. A rebuild doesn't sound like a bad idea now.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A buddy just bought a rebuild kit off ebay for $120 for a 208, and then he is going to get a new chain which is another $100, so for $220 and a couple hours your tcase should be just fine for a long time to come.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What part of Richmond do you live in. I'm out in Goochland. Its nice to see someone else from Richmond.

John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey randy

long time no see

send me a shout man, we still need to get together

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not a fan of the 208, if for no other reason than the slip yoke. Slip yokes suck no matter how you look at it. They are so bad that I am willing to use the np205s crappy "low" range just to get a fixed yoke. Of course I like the 205s bullet-proof qualities too. chain drive doesnt turn me on either. My np205 cost me about what the rebuild parts these guys are talking about, especially if I sell the 208 when i am done with it! Just an option...the ONLY real down side is the sorry low gear.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thats what axles gears and doublers are for

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

14. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I couldn't agree more ESPECIALLY about the slip yolk. I don't know what to do right now. I'll probably just rebuild and suffer with the slip yolk. If I could get the 241 I need for a decent price when the time comes, I'd do it instead.

15. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Just south of Richmond. I live where 95, Jeff Davis(1/3010 and 150 intersect. It ain't the greatest side of town, but it was all I could afford when I moved in.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally don't care what my low range ratio is.

With my current 700R4/NP 208, I run 4 low and 3rd in the tranny.

When I get my SM 465/NP 205 in, I'll just run 4 low and 3rd in the tranny instead of the top gear.

Low range lowers your wheel speed anyway. I don't do anything even close to, "Crawling". I usually have my valves floating all the way in and all the way out of the woods. The only reason I use 4 low is to ensure I'll have enough power at the wheels. I don't care if it's 2.62 or 1.96 to 1. Makes no difference either way. In fact, 1.96 probably is an advantage.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I run 300+ hp through a 208c and I have never had a problem. I haev had it high centered on the tcase and had it up to about 5000rpms in 4lo... I have never been to moab so I dont know how they hold up to the rocks bashing them....

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dont really worry about the case bodys strength...its the slowly stretching chain...and that DAMNED slip yoke that makes the 208 lame. Once I swap my new 205 in for the 208 I have now....I'll never have a slip yoke in any off-road rig again.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I couldn't agree more about the slip yoke being crappy.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

20. biltntboght

biltntboght Registered Member

What's wrong with the slip joint??

As you travel on thru life whatever be your goal keep you eye upon the donut not upon the hole