Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So heres the truck so far

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jemaddux, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Jemaddux

Jemaddux Registered Member

:D :D :D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:D Thats a real good start, especially being smog exepmt like that :D

Cool!!! :thumb:

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

It's going to be a looker, me thinks.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

where in ca are the doors?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You know there's a garage forum 'round these parts and now that you have desecrated our sacred ground you must bow down in front of the gods and confess your sins......................... :doah:

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Well ain't dat a howdy duty.

blah blah blah

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've got sheep for that :D

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

about an hour and a half, that means about $40 in gas... lol so their 40$ doors, i think i'll pass, sorry :crazy: too bad though.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure it will register as a 73? If the VIN is from a 79, the DMV will register it as a 79 no matter what the frame says. Unless you cut the VIN from a 73 and put it in place of the 79, which is a felony, you might have a problem. Many folks can slide on this unless they get stopped by a savvy CHP or local cop who knows better. Then you are screwed.

10. Desert Rat

Please quote me the Vehicle Code sections that support this. If everything on the truck is a 79 VIN, including the dash VIN plate, and the frame is a 73, it is a 79. Using your logic, I have a 74 and a 76. I simply take my 76 body, etc. off and put it on my 74 frame and now it is a 74? If this were the case, everyone with a truck subject to smog would simply find a pre-76 frame, transfer everything off of the late model truck onto that frame, and go in an register it as the earlier smog exempt model. Are you saying that the tub has no VIN to begin with, you slap it on a 73 frame even though it was a 79 body and then apply for what they call a "special construction" VIN? I can't see getting around having a 79 VIN plate on the dash and having DMV sign off on it being a 73. But, if you had a tub without a VIN plate on it, swapped it onto an earlier frame, DMV can go with the frame number as the year designator. DMV would be the one to approve it though. CHP, and any law enforcement agency, can do what is called an infield "VIN verification". You have any LEO sign a form saying they verified the VIN. If DMV buys off on it, your good to go. But, if you pull one over on the LEO, and you are scrutinized later, headaches will ensue. I hope I'm wrong because I'll keep my 74 and be dropping the 76 body on it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  11. Desert Rat

I have a call into a DMV investigator. I think somebody screwed up. I just talked to a couple of auto theft investigators and they said that there is no way that you can have a 79 VIN on the tub, a 73 VIN on the frame, and then have it registered as a 79 unless the DMV "blue tags" it, or calls it a specialized VIN. You also mention wrecking a truck. When you do a salvage, that changes everything. If you wreck a 73, then just replace the body with a newer body, leaving everything else intact, I can see it. But, just to pull a body from one and put it on another shouldn't change the year to the frame. There are also hidden VIN's on the tub so even if you get a new VIN plate for the dash, a good cop can locate the old VIN on the tub and find out that the tub is a different year.

I hope you are right because I would just yank my pristine 76 body and put it on my 74 frame and dump the beat 74 body and never smog it again but I suspect that is too good to be true. Otherwise everybody would be doing it. But, if I can, then I am going to rethink selling my 74.

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

guys WHOA !!I've done this kinda crap alot, and all any one is ever gonna look at is the vin on the tub, any more than that is a major PITA, I'm not sayin it doesn't happen but, I v'e swapped this to that and that back to this and never had so much as a turned head down at the UHP shop, just a good VIN on the tub and then register it! no BS :D

13. Desert Rat

Yeah, but that is the problem in lovely Cali. If you are 75 and prior, no smog. So, you don't want a 76 and up VIN on the tub. The thing I would worry about is somebody stops you, looks at the VIN on the dash, and it is obviously a later model VIN. Then you tell them it is a 74 and they start really digging. Most cops aren't going to spend much time messing with you unless something smells fishy. A late model VIN on a rig that is registered as much earlier is going to be that stinkbait. Then the cop calls over some expert who really digs into it. Legally, a cop can also impound a rig that they suspect has an illegal VIN put on it for further investigation. Small consolation when they find out later that everything was legal. I'm going to look into it more though. If I can put my 76 body on my 74 frame, I am going to have to think long and hard about that one. It would mean a lot of work and I'm almost done with my 76. But, I could then start fixing up the engine without the headache of smogging it.