Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how are you heating your home this winter? $3 a gallon or something else?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 22, 2005.

?

How do you heat your home?

1. Fuel oil

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Gas

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  3. Wood-burning (fireplace/wood stove, etc)

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Electric

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  5. Solar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Un friggin real! It's like 2.90 ish right now, and I'm thinking maybe I should fill up before they jack up the price for winter.

I have either a 275 or 550 gallon capacity in my house. We have two tanks, one is labelled 275 gallons, not sure if it means total or per tank.
    That's like $1600 in fuel oil if it's the big tank! Even if it's not, it's still like $800 to fill up!

I'm seriously considering the used vegetable oil fuel, just reallllly hoping it doesn't puff-back. I hate the smell of french fries...
    I'm thinking maybe a 50/50 mix (if I collect it from local grease joints and refine it myself, it'll save me half my oil costs). Kinda sucks that I'll have to do all that extra work or pay all that extra money for the same level of heat we had last winter. A little crazy of a jump, a little faster than inflation I'd say.

I'm also thinking harder about a home equity loan and rushing on a new roof and windows all around. Good to think about actually letting less heat out...

Anyone using one of those big outdoor furnaces that get plumbed into the house? My dad was looking at them last year, but I can't remember anything about them to look up. You could burn trash, wood, etc, and it would heat an existing hot water or steam heat system. I still have our hulking asbestos-covered 1920's wood/coal furnace. Maybe I'll uncover it and reconnect it, and just burn up the trees I cut down in my yard...

So what are everyone's heat-saving or home heating tips?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Luckily I'm in AZ , we just need blankets . Also have a fireplace too .

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

this winter will be the first time I will ever experience gas heat. Should be interesting...

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

We never use the heater. California.;)

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

We have natural gas supplied by the city - not sure how the prices will be this year. Last year they weren't bad at all... even now our gas bill (just for hot water) was only $16 last month, and thats' what it's been in the summer for the last 3 years.

When we finally get a place out of town it will be wood or wood pellets.

Mike

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wood or freeze to death..

We have oil heat--but my mom gets only about 500 bucks worth of "fuel assistance" since shes 77 and on SSI...last few years we had to dish out nearly as much out of our wallets to keep from running the furnace out of oil--

(she ran it dry once--cost us 110 bucks just to have a serviceman fill the tank with 20 gallons of diesel fuel and re-start the burner! :mad: --I knew how to bleed it,but our "new" computerized burner only let me re-set the button once!--not long enough to get the air out--it cost us 110 bucks to learn to hold the button IN for 2 minites--then it resets itself! :doah: --the guy didn't want me to watch what he was doing--but "F" him,I want to know how--next time I'll be able to do it myself like I used too--but I dont plan on letting it run out again either!)...

I'm going to start cutting up all the dead trees and broken ones from our many storms last winter--been meaning to do it all summer,but its been way too hot and humid,and I've been sick the past few weeks--supposed to cool off some this week,so I'm going to chop down anything that looks dead and will burn!..

We havent used our wood stoves in the house since 1978 except for a day last winter when we lost power for several hours,and I did't want the pipes freezing!...but my mothers Emphasema gets 1000 times worse with the dry heat and smell from the stoves...if it were my house,I'd burn NO oil if I had my way!...but her health restricts how much wood we can burn..

My wood supply is getting tight--used to have several places to get free pallets to cut up and burn--but my 2 best sources have dried up!--a gravestone place was giving me all the pallets I could carry off in both trucks--but the fire dept. made them build a metal building to store them in,now they are recycled by a subcontractor :( --another paper box company did the same thing too..more people looking for free wood here than ever--most places that used to give away tons dont put it out anymore--their employees are burning nearly all of the waste wood...I already posted about used fryolator oil--nearly impossible to score any here--too many greedy "recyclers" are contracted to haul it away and sell it to biodiesel companies..anything to screw the average Joe out of a free source of fuel..

I'd like to get a waste oil heater--but many guys who have them tell me the new synthectic oil wont burn like petroleum,and it clogs them up!--and few if any garages keep the synthetic separate from other drain oil(how can they know whats in someones crankcase??)...so much for that idea.. :doah:

Pisses me off when I see huge trees and loads of lumber being tossed in the landfill--you used to be able to cut it up and take it home--now town "insurance regulations" forbid you from getting it!..bet the DPW workers take it all home,after cutting it on the towns time.. :mad:

I'm going to have to go further than ever before to get any,and do some begging I guess..once our 2 acre lot is devoid of all the "dead wood",it wont be easy to get more--we have lots of woods behind our house(1 mile deep)--but its not our land,and too swampy to get a truck or tractor out there to get it..and its 200 bucks a cord for wood too! :doah: looks like I might be cold after this winter--earlier if Ma insists I not use the wood stoves..

Luckily we got more insulation and our doors wetherstripped for free--my mother was eligible for a govenment grant program to upgrade your house for better fuel efficiency..it helped a lot,but when winter lasts 6 months,and it gets to below zero,its not THAT much help... :crazy:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We use the fireplace all 14 nights a year that it actually gets cold enough. A little electric to keep the chill out some nights also.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I don't remember for sure, but I think last winter it got down to about 78 degrees here in Texas. So yes, we were all bundled up in our beds. I don't think my house has a heater.
    :doah:

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh yeah, I forgot half you guys are in summer all year round... :doah:

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welll , summer and spring :D

11. diesel4me

Time to MOVE!!

I wish I could live somewhere where heat is optional!...but then I'd be paying a thousand bucks for air conditioning all year... :doah: --cant win! :( --but I'd much rather sweat than freeze--Arizona looks better every year to me..rust free trucks..no heat needed..so what if there are wildfires??..once all the brush burns(free heat! :laugh: )--you wont have to worry for at least a few years.. :crazy: Beats living in Siberia here 6 months of the year.. :rolleyes: ....

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Theres a guy near where i work at who has a Corn heater for his house. I think he said he used 150 bushels the whole winter. $1.60 corn...thats cheap
    $240, and corn goes down at harvest.

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I will use my fireplace more this year. Would like to swap it for a wood stove though. I can get enough oil for a waste oil heater but the one that a friend of mine made for his shop puts out way to much heat for my house. I need to look at the plans to see if there is a way to make a smaller one. Isn't it something like mothers waste oil heater? Will one of the heaters (waste oil) burn gear lube ok?

14. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

is that the thingy hooked up to the AC and has a uummm p-pu- umm oh pilot light? are u saying its supposed to do something? :haha: :haha:

15. diesel4me

Waste oil heat...

A waste oil heater burns just about any petroleum product,including gear oil,ATF,etc...-but as I stated earlier,the new synthetic oils are causing greif to the owners of them--the synthetics dont burn like petroleum oils and since there is no way to know what is in someones engine 95% of the time,it gets dumped in with all the other oils!...any prestone in the oil raises hell with the waste oil heaters too...gums up the works,and parts can be scarce and hard to get for many heaters..

I don't think its legal to install one in a house anyway,and I also don't think you'd like the smell from 80W90 being burned!--I've burnt waste oil and gear oil in my wood stove--you need a GOOD draft,and pray it doesn't "puff back" into the room(usually does without fail!)..just about every time I put a quart or two,or oily rags in my shop's stove,all the tremendous heat released goes to waste when I have to open all the doors and let the smoke out to avoid suffocation!.. :doah: ...sometimes if there is a stiff wind,the draft makes the fire roar and it does not puff smoke back into the room....

I still think a move to Arizona might cost less than heating our house this winter will...except for the gas you'd need to get there.. :doah: :crazy:

16. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know how much y'all pay a month to heat your house but we just had two months of 400 dollar electric bills and the house isn't what you'd call frigid. :mad:

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm just gonna drop my pants, bend over, grab my ankles and let the gas company screw me in the ass like they do every year. :bow:

And then I'm gonna dust off the chain saw and go out in the yard (BIG yard) and cut all the dead limbs, branches and trees I can see and reach to use for firewood in the shop.

Planning on insulating and sheetrocking the ceiling in the shop hopefully in October when the temps are just right to work in. :waytogo:

18. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I use gas for hot water and my furnace. about $19 a month in the summer, and last year for january it was $230. And that was using my wood stove as well, although it wouldn't last while I was at work and had to restart a fire when I got home which sucked. I've read gas prices will be significantly higher this year, so I found a nice pile of coal while fourwheeling and I'll be loading up dufflebags each time I go up to ride.

I don't see this situation getting much better, so I plan to build my next home into the side of a hill facing south, use the earth as insulation. and whatever else tricks I can find.

19. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

im thinking of solar. we have so much sun here. bet it will pay for itself within a year

20. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you are really considering it, wait just a little while longer. Australia has some nanotech solar panels they are about to release. They are much more efficient than the current ones. I have done much research on the subject and have waited because the recoupment(sp) on the initial cost was too long. If things keep going the way they are, it will cut the time down from 9 years to 3 or 4. I could get a loan for that amount of time. Pay it back at 600 a month and at 5 years my electric bill would be a refund check. The new solar panels that are using nano technology on on the verge of being able to be painted on things. Eternally flexible. If you have the space to do a solar array big enough, you could actually ask the electric company to send you money for the extra power. They may not, but you may find a neighbor that will. If your neighbor was still on city electricity and you ran a feed into his house, after the meter, from your panels and his bill dropped a C note or more I'm sure he would pass you a fifty. You can still have city service in case you had a battery problem or had a heavy draw item. PLUS wouldn't it be funny for your neighborhood to have a power outage and your house be lit up with the stereo bumpin makin margaritas in the kitchen.