Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how can I convert my A/c compressor to onboard air?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 20, 2006.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So my 1992 454 still has the factory-style A/C compressor on it but with nothing hooked up. Can someone direct me to a site so I can figure out how to turn this thing into an OBA compressor. I don't wan't to go to a York-style compressor...I wanna use what I have... Any ideas?

Chris

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think your compressor uses the freon to lube its parts too. I know a couple of guys who run this type and both of them have an oiler on the intake and lots of oil in their tires. Another did nothing and his compressor lasted a couple of years. Since it is already hooked up find the intake and output. You will need a pressure releif valve and some other stuff do a search on here you should be able to find out most everything you need

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put an oiler on the intake and a seperator/filter on the output and you should be good to go.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have an old petersons article on converting the long style older AC compressors found on 60's,70's,early 80's GM cars/trucks, which is what I plan to do. I got the pieces already. I'm putting an oiler on the intake and a de-oiler on the output, back to the same resevoir. This is what the writeup did.
    The article does mention the newer shorter axiel type compressors found on mid-80's up GM cars/trucks, they said they are not good candidates for OBA, don't rememeber the reason. The older long style they said, however, worked just as good as any purchased OBA kit or york setup, the only problem being the oiling which you have to take care of yourself. They actually converted 2 trucks, to see how long the compressor would last without any oiling. In the many weeks they ran the thing without any oil at all, it never broke, it got hotter than the one they did with oiling, but as of the writing of the aritcle, it was still running w/o an oiler. But, I think I'd like mine lubed.

5. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

In the new petersons mag theres an article about onboard air. i havent read it yet but i skimmed through it and saw something about this.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

exactly:D also run a tank to hold some air and lines. then theres a switch...i guess you could just turn the ac ion the cab to high but that would turn the fan on too....not sure how to wire up the switch for the clutch....