Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how crazy am I to apply for this job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Apr 11, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Some of you might remember my recent posts (bitching) about loosing my job and general unhappiness. I've been looking for work and not much has come up locally.

However today I found a job that REALLY grabbed my attention. On one of the job sites that sends me positions that meet my search criteria there's a position doing shipping and receiving for a company that contracts to the military...

...in Baghdad, Iraq.

The pay is great to say the least and it sounds like a year contract working long hours in a compound in Baghdad. I meet the shipping and receiving experience qualifications AND have my four years in the Marines...

...am I crazy for applying for this position?

Talked it over with a buddy of mine from the Marines and he says if he was in my position he'd do it. We're both married but he's got
    two kids.

Damn, it's just buzzing through my head what to do if I get a call back...:crazy:
    Not sure how to bring this up with the wife. Think I'm just going to sit on it until I hear something...if I do.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'd say don't rush to a decision. I'll bet that job isn't going anywhere soon. I get offers for Iraq, Bogota, "classified location" regularly.

I've got a three friends who signed up for jobs like that (but in my line of work) and only one stayed all year. He said it wasn't too bad and pay was great (& of course tax exempt). The two that left early said it sucked and the money was not worth it. If I didn't have kids I would most likely do it. Of course if I didn't have kids I might not have gotten out of the Marines.

3. AJMBLAZER

I really want to see how this goes. I've sat by since 2001 and sorta felt like I did 4 years and then watched history happen around me. I guess there's two things that appeal to me then, the service and the money. Hell, it's 3.5 times what I made last year...and then some.

The funny part is I've never seen one of these jobs before. At least not for this sort of field, they're usually for trucking or some specialized/trained job like yours.

Dumb question but did the guy who stayed there the whole time get offered any sort of continuation job after his one year was up? I've beem wondering what would come next?

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

What's your wife think?

And no, I don't think it's crazy at all.

But see what your lovely wife thinks first.

5. AJMBLAZER

Not sure yet. I think, based on some past experiences, I'll sit on this until I hear something. Save the potential drama until then.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't know, but he planed on doing the 12 mo and coming home from the start. He got laid off the at the same time I did, and basically felt if he had to travel he was going to get PAID. If I hadn't been as prepared for the lay off as I was I may have gone as well, especially sine I would have had a few guys to go with. When he got back he had enough cash saved up to take a couple months off. Then when he did go back to work he worked NO o/t and was the first to volunteer to go home when things got slow.

He made twice what he made here and didn't pay tax on most of it.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'd think it would be difficult to do with a wife. I know, I considered it as well before we moved back to TX. It's a long time gone though!

8. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

A year is a long time, but if you dont have kids and feel you can go without your family for a year, go for it.

9. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

A few people I work with have taken contracting jobs in Bosnia and Iraq and I think Afghanistan helping train the cops there. I dont know what the pay in Iraq or Afghanistan are, but in Bosnia is was like $125,000 for a year tour, tax free. Know one guy who has gone there 3 times, and all of them said it wasn't bad. If I were single I'd have to think about it, but with my 2 kids there's no way.
    I think you should definitely run the idea by the wifey before you seriously consider it. Remember that it's gonna have a huge effect on her, too. Were you married when you were in the Marines?

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'll just go ahead and predict a wife-veto right now.

At any rate, it would be a brilliant plan to take the job... work for the year... live as CHEAP as possible for that one year... then come back and use that $$$ for a nice big downpayment on a house. :)

j

11. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

OR, work for the year, live as cheaply as possible for that year...and then come back and still live as cheaply as possible and give half the $$$ to EX-wife who left cause you were gone for a year....:eek1:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  12. jekbrown

good way to fill her closet with 300 pairs of shoes I guess... :dunno:

j

13. AJMBLAZER

The trouble with my wife is she's young, clingy, and smart. So logic works but she's also pretty attached sometimes.

Our discussion about me wanting to donate my organs in case I died was stupid to say the least. Not like she or I would be using them after I croaked but oy, she was determined she wasn't signing that release...

Logically...we bought this house with no money down because we didn't have any. Consequently we'll be lucky to get out of it now almost 3 years later with any money. We don't want to make the same mistake. Then there's her decision to go back to school and become a dentist...$$$...at UNC-Chappell Hill ($$$) so we'd have to move too...and neither of us wants a starter home again...

...I dunno, the idea of being gone for a year isn't exactly attractive...but the service and the money really is. There's no way in hell right now I could make HALF what the advertised pay is here.

I'm not bringing it up until I hear from them. With my luck with jobs lately...I'll never hear from them and this has just been another interesting discussion on CK5.

14. AJMBLAZER

Oy, you had to bring up the shoes...

15. jekbrown

stick the wife in a hole-in-the-wall apparentment for the year... save $... buy a kick arse house when you get back. :grin:

j

16. AJMBLAZER

That thought has been running through my mind...and that's sorta what we were thinking of doing since we were going to have to wait a year until we had residency and she got the cheap tuition.

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

A good friend of mine's brother went to Iraq to drive trucks. He said the money was killer, but one of the trucks he drove was destroyed while parked.

18. AJMBLAZER

So...since I'm single again and about to loose my house...

...guess what I'm thinking about again?

19. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

So can I be the first to say good luck:D

20. AJMBLAZER

Hah. Thanks.

I applied for a few last night right after I posted this. Be interesting to see what comes of this.