Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how long does it take mercury to make you die?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 18, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was attempting to liberate an LCD screen for some darn "make your own high res projector", and I broke the cold cathode tube right in front of my face. Sometimes no matter how careful and ginger you are with something, it seems to defy your carefulness...

Anyway, is the 1/8" x 10" tube toxic? Does it contain enough mercury to be concerned about? Does it contain Mercury vapor or liquid?

Surprisingly little info on this niche exposure on the web. I've learned that it's probably the vapor, but have not yet learned if it's a dangerous exposure...

Anyone have a clue?

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

hijack
    Did I mention I got kicked out of a megadeth concert on the 13th??
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

For some reason, I'm not surprised...

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Aparrently, you're still alive, go from there

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

According to my calculations you've been dead for about an hour and a quarter now....

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Been nice knowin ya dude /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

SORRY you only have 5 days to live, been nice to know you. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

well, I have a bottle of pure mercury that I was stupid enought to play with, and have done so for 6 years and I am still alive. Wouldn't worry about it if I were you... then again, some people say I ain't quite right.....

9. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Call Poison Control from another number than your home as the EPA may quarantine your home as a hazardous waste area for the next 90 years or so. On the bright side you will have all the properties of mercury. Making it possible for you to enter your home by oozing under the door or thru the keyhole, bullets and projectiles will not harm you. What part of NY do you live in ? I'm a former NYer.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bah, it's no big deal. I didnt' think it was, until I mentioned it to someone that suggested we contain the area and break out the gas masks...
    Poison control says it's nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ok, back to using the screen.

11. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah, i wouldn't be concerned about a lil bit. Heck, the EPA recommends NOT eating more than 1 fish from the great lakes due to the high He content...people do. Anyway, He doesn't "kill" one so much as make them crazy. (it somehow goofs up the nervous system) No worries bro!

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

once you get used to the twitchin and stuttering, you'll be fine. Society is no longer looking down on these traits.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, i wouldn't be concerned about a lil bit. Heck, the EPA recommends NOT eating more than 1 fish from the great lakes due to the high He content...people do. Anyway, He doesn't "kill" one so much as make them crazy. (it somehow goofs up the nervous system) No worries bro!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Helium? Those must be the rare flying fish of the Great Lakes. Helium just makes people talk funny! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I think you meant Hg for mercury. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Sorry bro, the thought of helium filled fish had me crackin' up! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I read that last night trying to figure out what you were dooing, So howd it work?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

15. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Hg...my bad...hehe

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

No bid deal, like you already figured out.

My wife bends neon here at our shop. So she's around Hg all the time, and she had a blood test done with no measureable amounts of Hg.

There was an old timer neon bender she worked with that wasn't careful around it. He had to have a piece of his jaw bone removed. But that's after years of exposure from repairing old units.

17. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Throwing crack whores about the place is something the Avalon doesn't like I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I haven't had time to put it together yet, after I popped the tube, I had to take care of another project, then got sidetracked with the old-timer engineer I work with. He used to do toxic spill cleanup with the USCG, so he got me worried about it (he didn't know what the effects would be, but the way he was treating the "spill" was a little disturbing)...

It turns out I can't use that screen anyway, the video card interface connector is really dense, so I doubt I'll be able to wire it to a connector.
    When my brother was up visitng last week, I gave him a broken flat panel to take down to his base to try and fix it there, so I sent him the plans and told him to give this a shot instead of fixing the backlight in the monitor. If he builds it successfully, he'll probably keep it... I post pics if it works out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

BTW, thanks for the tips, fellas. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Mad as a hatter mean anything to you?

20. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status