Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how many people have had the need for a snorkel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Feb 3, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

how deep was the water, and do you think a fording kit would have helped?

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I can see a need for a Snorkel but not for water, More for the fresh air and maybe less dust, And then there is the cool factor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Need more than snorkle.Igniton won't run under water.Computer{if got}needs sealed,sterios get wet,If doors seal tight lots of trucks float.They do look trick though and help survive quick dip,but,every thing has to be sealed for long dives. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. milspecjimmy

ive blown through a few puddles and hydro locked my motor. nothing else got messed up and ignition was fine. im just wondering what people have done. and i have 6 vehicles that have full fording kits, water proof every thing and can take 6-9 feet of standing water. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifmilitary stuff rules

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've gone through 4 feet of water, but not for anything more than a few seconds worth. I'd do one, but dont know where to start really. I've injested water, but not enough to hydro lock. I worry about it too sometimes. You'd need to seal everything, floatation isnt too terrible that I've found. Dont forget to extend the breathers. But I know the Auto trannies do have that vent hole on top. havent figured out how to vent that yet.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I don't have a snorkel but it might have come in handy a few months ago when I was going through a fairly deep mud/water hole and slipped into a rut up to my headlights. The stock aircleaner assembly/snorkel was about an inch above the water line. I made it out with a lot of help and later found out the only damage done was my fuel pump died. Changed all the fluids and it's been pretty happy since.

Unless it's a deisel I don't think a snorkel would help too much for most water crossings.

And for the one who mentioned the vent tube for the transmission all you need is some hose routed to a higher point. It's been covered before just do a search. I had luckily routed new vent lines from both axles and the trans/T-case a week before my unplanned swim in the k5.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of when I hydro-locked my first Sub.
    Too Deep?
    I doen't take too much water to lock it up if you don't know any better (like me back then). It was an '82 diesel. I hit the water too fast and it all got sucked into the stock snorkel that pulls air in by the headlight. Supposedly if you go at a slow steady pace the front of the truck will make a bow wave that will keep water at a lower level in the engine compartment. If you stop you can run into problems when everything levels out.

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i have the need for one. i go to the badlands orv park and ever since the water went over my hood for the first time, i built one and slapped it on. here are some pics. click on the badlands links and check out some pics from the badlands. there arent n e in there of it underwater, but once i get it fixed, ill get some pics up of it underwater.

www.geocities.com/yz80foxracer/index.html
    NITRO

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

thanks for the transmission advice.

As for gas vs diesel, the only difference is the ECU and the Distributor.everything else doesnt matter. I think the largest amount of water I had dumped into my engine bay was from the mechanical fan acting like a propeller.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have had the Fraser river flowing up my windshield,
    water in the cab flowing into my Dayton boots.
    if you are gonna play with water crossings a snorkle is a good idea.

11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I didn't think I needed one until I sunk my burb to the hood in a mud hole!/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Cost me an engine./forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I will eventually put one in when I finish all the other mods I have on my list.

12. milspecjimmy

i am thinking of making one of 3 inch PVC, and relocating the over flow rezivour

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Mike-LOL I just watched the video of that the other day, where they were pulling you out and draining the doors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I ran through some holes about 5 feet deep with my flatbed. Water came over the hood and about 2-3" up the windsheild, looked really cool on the inside! Never drowned out.

Here is what I did with:
    1)Stock "tall" air cleaner, knocked snorkel off and opened up hole some. Turned around so opening draws air from distributor area.
    2)Use di-electric silicon grease on all spark plug boots, high quality wires as well.
    3)Electric fans, manually turned off for water crossings.
    4)Keep a steady somewhat slow speed and it WILL keep an air pocket under the hood for some time.

We were playing in a old sand pit that day. Lost track of how many times I played submarine. Don't have any still pics, used the cam corder for that day.

Hardest thing to flush? Power steering gearbox.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I had a wet air filter a few months back. For some reason I get the mud urge every now & then, must be from growing up in OH. Anyway, water (mostly) and mud to the level of the floor-as in the floor was under water when I was stopped. This is w/ 5" lift & 35s, no doors lets the water in. I think a snorkel would have helped there, but for 90% of what I do I don't need one.

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A few years ago I had Emmett in a river during a 4x4 night. I was in so deep that the water was about 6-8 inches above the bottom of my seat(where your arse goes)... The water was up over the floor shifter, ashtray, radio, etc. I went another few feet and then it died. I was damn lucky it did too because the kid that was walking in front of me to gauge depth had just fallin into a deeper part. If I had gone another 3 feet, I would have lost the Jimmy!!!! The water was up over the hood in the front.. I got pulled out by a new SD dually Ferd and when we got it on flat ground and emptied out the cab I starte don the engine. When I drained the oil, I filled a 5 gallon bucket! We pulled the plugs, and a ton of water shot out of every plug hole.
    After we changed the oil/filter and dried off the plugs, It started up after cranking it a little and I drove it home! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I could have used one on my old Blazer. I went charging through a puddle and sucked up some water. Made for a great picture and the following 12 hrs working on the truck /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif .

A snorkel is high on the list of things to do on my Jimmy. The piece of mind that you're not going to suck in water that splashes up is nice.