Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how many "stock" SBC oil pans are there??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Jul 16, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So how many \"stock\" SBC oil pans are there??

So I know of about 4 now, only thought there were 2 or 3. (older 2 piece rear main pans, not concerned with driver or passenger side dipstick)

You've got the goofy early Nova one that is kind of like a front sump as I recall, then you've got the enormous early Corvette 6 qt pan, then you've got some "in betweens".

Only really concerned with the "in betweens", but I figured this is as good a place as any to find out exactly what was offered. This is really based on what I've found (problems) while building my 350.

Went to put the first pan I tried to put on it, with an oil pump pickup that came on a motor that was in my dads '68 corvette. (wrong motor, but right pan, which he kept) Anyways, found out that the Corvette pickup is longer than the pan I had would take. I needed the "short" pickup...not deep or shallow, just short. The Corvette pickup "pipe" was longer, to place the pickup screen further towards the front of the engine. That would hit the front of my "small" pan.

So I have this other pan that has a longer sump than the "small" pan I also have. Then I realize that the longer sump pan is shallower than the "short" sump pan. So they are probably the same capacity, but would really benefit from different pickups.

Only easily ID I've seen besides ruler is that the long sump pan has 4 "ribs" on the side where the drain plug is, the short sump has 3. I need a digital camera. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The stock pickup I have is designed for the shallower pan, so I'll use it, but it just got me curious about the oil pans in general. Apparently there are even different pickups which I was not previously aware of. Never heard about the differences or anything.