Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so how well will a 14Bff hold up welded?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Apr 2, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i want to weld up the spider gears in a 14bff and run it on the street, how strong are they? its going under my blazer, and will be mainly street driven. and could possibly see 35-38" tires. whos done it and what broke if any thing

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think it was said that after long term use they start to get broken if you use the welding between the teeth method.ive heard the strongest way is to weld the whole thing so it cant move side to side in the carrier.with it welded in between the individual gears ive heard it has slight side to side motion and eventually falls apart.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Mine has been welded for about a year and a half, and I have not had any problems at all with it.

4. milspecjimmy

so your saying that if i weld the gears to the carrier and baisicly make it a spool it will do ok for a while? i plan on buying a locker, but not for a little while.

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you weld it up like a spool with good clean welds, it will last indefinately. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had welded mine like the article on the home page. I drove it like that for nearly two years on the street and when I pulled it apart I found the side gears were starting to crack...another couple of weeks and there would have been broken side gear teeth floating around in the oil.

If I was gonna weld one again I'd weld the spiders solidly to the cross shaft.

I wouldn't weld anything to the carrier itself, or you won't be able to use a locker later...

Rene

7. milspecjimmy

i am thinking i am going to weld the spiders to the cross shafts, what abotu axel breakage? any thing i should worry about there?

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any pictures of a 14bolt w/ the spiders welded to the cross shaft? I want to do this to mine too...but not sure what needs welded where.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The axle shafts aren't a concern...they're freakin huge!!!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I solidly welded the side gears to the spiders, basically filling up every void that you could get to with a welder. So far it is going on 3 years and no problems. I just had the cover off last week and they looked fine while running 35" tires. Recently switched to 38's which should really test it, but I'm not worried about it at all.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Kidjethro did mine, he welded the spiders to the cross shaft and then welded the spiders to the side gears. It's not going anywhere... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

12. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Just outta curiosity, if it is mainly street drive how come you want a welded rearend? It will kill tires much quicker,
    and wont drive that well. I am about to weld up my front Dana 60 because I am going to a ARB in a few months so
    I might as well until then. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I wont be able to turn at all without getting out an unlocking a hub though.
    Later
    -fLeXy K20

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I personally wouldn't run a welded diff in my daily driver (don't really need the traction) but I also don't think it is that bad. The Blazer still gets driven to the trails (about 200-300 mile round trip usually) and you don't really notice it except for real sharp turns like in a parking lot.

14. milspecjimmy

well boys the ole lincoln 220 welder is comming out to play, i am going to weld the spiders to the cross shafts, and then to the side gears. any tips on taking the carrier out? i am assuming that they are not the same as the 10bolts.