Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I found the weak lnk in my recent 465/203 swap.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It turns out to be the manual linkage. I was out wheelin in the rain and mud. I had made several runs through one pit...the last time I got crossed up in the ruts...So I had to work at it to get out. I heard a loud POP from under my feet, the pedal went to floor and I was in about 2 feet of mud/water. Starting to snow too. I couldn't see the linkage from underneath cause the water was too deep....So I looked at it from under the hood. The threaded rod that engages the release arm had bent to a 90* angle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Luckily I was about 1/2 mile from the junk yard, so I walked down there and got the parts I needed to fix it....Used the phone to call a buddy to yank me out so I could work on it. I was soooooo cold that I think I coulda cut my finger off and not felt it. And to top it all off, I lost my new Mag-Lite that my girlfriend gave me for X-mas. That upset me more than anything cause she gave it to me. I actually borrowed a metal detector, and went out the next day and found it....In about 2 feet of mud. Took it home, cleaned it up, put new batteries in it, and it works good as new.

So the moral of the story is....GO HYDRO. I'm going to ASAP. I've almost never been as miserable and cold as I was when I had to lay in the mud at night under my truck and fix that $hit. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

can you go wheeling and actually NOT break something!?!?

you should be an R&D guy for a manufacturer. tell them you can break anything and are willing to stamp thier part "Approved By Joe" if you can't break it in 2 days.

[​IMG]

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that sucks! glad you found hte flash light though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    sometimes the little things like that bother me the most to.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    can you go wheeling and actually NOT break something!?!?

you should be an R&amp;D guy for a manufacturer. tell them you can break anything and are willing to stamp thier part "Approved By Joe" if you can't break it in 2 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! That seems to be true....I am gettin good at breakin stuff. A custom "Approved By Joe" stamp....I like that idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

and charge them for it! and as the intelectual property owner of the idea, my humble sum of 15% for the idea shouldn't be a problem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

i like manual linkage. trail fixable. you loose anything hydraulic and unless you have the parts(slave, master, line) your not fixin it. just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. dtoyk5

dtoyk5 Newbie

that suck laying in mud and having to fix the truck had same poblem two times now.
    dtoyk5

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had a similer experience with the automatic tranny shifter. The rod broke on me and I was stuck in reverse, in the mud and it was raining. It sucked bad too.