Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I got my carb rebuild kit......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, Sep 2, 2003.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

....and the word that comes to mind is INTIMIDATED!!!!! Holy [I love Jeeps] but there is a lot there!! I've heard talk from others here that it isn't that bad, so I am placing my faith in the almighty CK5 website and going forth to rebuild my Rochester Q-jet. Is the kit all I will need or do you all recommend getting a few more parts to replace? This may be a stupid question, I apologize if so, but how do I tell if I have a M4MC, M4ME, M4MED, or a M4MEF? I know I have seen this before, but my brain is thoroughly addled right now!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks all for you input!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Like Dorian said, they have extra parts with them, which I don't get because you are supposedly buying a kit for your exact carb /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have heard its a good idea to replace the float which usually does not come with the kit. All in all, taking the carb apart and replacing the parts isn't too hard. You will probably want to get a can of carb dip and dip all the pieces and let them soak.

4. docgab

Thanks for the replies dyeager and trcksr4m3. Much appreciated. Another silly question now though. The instructions for the rebuild kit have 15-20 adjustments. Are all of these necessaary? Some involve sawing this and drilling this out etc. Once again, thanks.

5. dyeager535

Drilling out plugs and what not is only necessary on the ones with the peened on covers for the mix screws, and the electric choke cover.

All the other adjustments...if the choke was working correctly, leave ALL of that linkage alone. If electric choke, I'd be hesitant to even touch the cover. Again this is if the choke worked ok. There is nothing to be had from messing with a choke that already works. Choke is probably THE most difficult/time consuming adjustment on a Q-jet, and believe me, if you don't need to mess with it, don't. One small adjustment to the linkage can set you WAY off from where it works.

Float, idle mix, and idle speed are about the only adjustments I'd make if the choke was working correctly when the q-jet was removed from the truck for rebuild.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

float adjustments are critical also... make sure ya check that with the high quality ruler supplied /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nice thing about the marine industry is, about 200 of the boats i work on are good oldschool Q-Jets. big blocks and Q-Jets, gotta love it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif redid a couple of spares to go on the shelf for stock this morn as a matter of fact....

7. docgab

once again, thanks all for your replies. Much appreciated. I got another one for ya though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You said don't worry about the choke if it was working. How about if it wasn't hooked up? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The PO had the choke held open with a tie wrap thing (technical term of course). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was just gonna leave it like it was. S'ok or no?

8. dyeager535

I'd leave it alone (as best you can work around it) until you put it back together. You need to watch the choke operate under normal conditions to see if it's working correctly.

If it is tied up, you can be almost assured a PO didn't know what they were doing with it.