Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I got this free truck with TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redfrog, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I went and picked up a truck the other night, It's a 1988 1/2 beater, I want to pull the TBI off and to use on my K5, But I know all the obvious stuff to pull but I am not sure what to do on the wiring as far as ease and cost , what all should I pull off, would it be just a easy to use the fuse box out of the 88 for my K5 or would it be better to use a stand alone harness? any info would be helpful

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

just transplant the whole harness that would be the cheapest and most easy way to do the swap

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

you need the intake and everything attached to it, and the exhaust manifolds, then just take the wiring harness off from the firwall forward and from the firewall backwards, I know sounds like alot of work, but unless you want to get a painless harness its the only way without chopping the hell out of the tbi harness, I've done it a few times

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

There is a member here that sells custom TBI wire harnesses (I think only 3 wires to connect?) and custom burns chips to make the engine/transmission work ok. Here is his user profile, it looks like he doesn't log in much anymore, so you will probably need to call him http://coloradok5.com/forums/member.php?u=18637

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

cool thanks for the info guys, I am going to need to have to have the chip burt for sure due to not using a 700r4 and having a not so stock engine , and I am going to need to get a few new parts, I may just rewire the whole K5 with the truck harness..... Do I really need VSS or can I have that omitted also???

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Expect stalling under certain conditions, and overall far poorer performance without the VSS.

Very easy to install one BTW -- Just use a speedometer VSS from a newer (83 - 87 I think) truck.

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

The Vss allows the ecm to use its' info to control air fuel mixture, according to engine load,plus it supplies some info to the block learn part of the ecm. So to answer your question yes you can operate without it but performance will be affected

8. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

looks like this project is going to snowball fast:hack: :woot: :D
    o'well if your gonna do it do right, Time to start figuring out what all I need to dissamble on both trucks to make it easier. Thanks again

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My '89 suburban has the speedo-mounted vss. I think it changed to electrical with the body style change.

10. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I been in contact with Mark Young via email recently regarding my TBI upgrade. Problem is he is slow to respond. He also does not have a phone number anywhere i can see to call and talk to someone personally. seems weird that you dont have a phone number listed for your business.

Anyways i dropped him as a potential source for TBI on my 400 sm blk.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

From his website http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/contact.htm
    I hope things work out better with him, I planned to buy his harness for my TBI swap... :(

12. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Ahhh guess i didnt look hard enough. ill give him another try. I need a tbi unit that flows at least 750 cfm