Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I Got To Thinking..........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Mar 23, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i want more power from my 400 chevy smallblock, but i want something unique, yes i could run a blower, or some monster cam with a horrible idle. However, who on earth has a twin turbo blazer? I'm just wondering, cost wise, exactly how much would it cost to build everything and how much horsepower could i gain? And i would be changing out the internals to forged pistons and rods and all that good stuff. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM 20 PSI of boost...........
    i can hear the hissing now

phill

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you should mail banks and a couple diesel places, they deal with turbos all the time.

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I can hear the pistons melting right now. J/K. What's your setup right now? Carb, Induction, Cam, etc?

Will

4. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

right now im pretty much running a stock 400 chevy small block. I plan on takin it this summer and either putting a fuel injected 454 in or stay w/ the 400 and add a Holley Projection Kit and pump some serious horsepower out of it.

phill

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<font color=blue>454 THE DAMN THING!!!</font color=blue>

Or, even do the 502 if you can! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

well wat bout a 454 with a Turbo hehehehehehehehe bring on the power....(sorry getting carried away) however i did find kit for a turbo for a 454.

phill

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go find the specs on the Calloway Vette motors - twin turbo and HUGE HP! It would probably be reliable but I don't know how good it would be off road....

8. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

It would be pretty cool, but probably not worth much off road, it will take some rpm's before those turbos spool up. My brothers WRX doesn't spool up till about 3000rpm.
    Just my $.02

9. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

well this is mainly a mud truck, where i need the high rpms, i would try to get some low end grunt on it too cause i like driving over stuff.

phill

10. thatK30guy

A friend of mine bought a 3/4 ton truck from a dealership and it had a 454 in it.
    The thing about the 454 was it had a Paxton supercharger. Just a carbureted model engine, I guess.

I never got to see the Paxton as the dealership removed the motor and kept it for themselves. They threw in a different 454.

So, I did some checking to see if there was such a supercharger for these motors and found nothing. Whether the Paxton is a bogus part for carbs or not, I have never seen one.

I'm just suggesting an idea for the 454. If there is a Paxton unit for these, then let me know about the info. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Otherwise, the dealership and my friend were feeding me some shiit. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

No the paxton units are made for carbed engines....if that's what your not finding, it comes with this big induction box that goes over the carb

12. thatK30guy

Cool! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Are they worth a crap or not then?

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Turbo cams are way diffrent than "normal" cams, something about makeing sure there is no-valve overlap because of all the back pressure due to the turbo. I think the cyl heads would need huge exhaust valves too, almost the same size as the intakes. Intake valves could remain the same -smaller- size, because the intake charge is presureized, so it's froced past the valve.

I've seen super-chargers on TBI big and small blocks. They loooked almost factory, stock TBI was bolted to the back of the blower houseing. I'm not sure of much else.

Also, super-charger cams are more like "normal" cams, but favor the exhaust side of the valve-timeing, because there is much-more exhaust gasses to expell. Like the turbo engine, cyl head modifications should focus on the exhast-side.

14. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    How about ditching the idea behind the 454 or the 400 and going with a turbo charged 6 cyl. cummings diesel. Or, if you are very die hard chevy see if you can get your hands on a duramax. Either way you are pretty much garenteed to get over 500 ft/lbs at a very low rpm.

Oops. just remebered. You like the mud so scratch that idea.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

turbos DO NOT require rpm to spool up, they require heat produced by load
    stock cams work fine for turbos
    INCON 5.0 mustangs put out 600hp(apparently stock block doesnt last long at this hp level) easily with stock cam and stock short block including pistons at 9.2:1 compression

there is a ton of info in the archives of the incon egroups list now on yahoo somewhere

16. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

Yes, the expanding hot exhaust gas causes the turbo spin, but to really get it going you need to be expelling more exhaust hence the rpm's.
    What do you think the load is? it's the engine forcing out the exhaust gases, which it can expell more as the rpm's rise.
    The turbo does not become effective until it has enough exhaust gas to spin the turbo enough to actually compress air. Thus the rpm factor in the spool up.

17. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I saw a show suburban a about 3 years ago that had twin turbo 454 in it. Most of it was custom work, but they said it put out 750 horsepower and got about 13 mpg under normal conditions, this was with 39 inch Mickeys on it.

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm sure some dork is useing Naturaly Asprated cam in a Turbo-Charged engine. People have been selecting the wrong cam for decades, I'm sure a little thing like completly changeing the induction and exhaust forces isn't going to change the fact that someone is still going to run the wrong cam.

To build 10 PSI of (Turbo) boost, will also increase the exhaust back pressure by 20 PSI, so if the both valves were to be held open, at the sametime (like whats commonly found on naturaly aspirated engines), exhaust gasses are going to flow in the path of least resistance. And that would be back into the intake-manifold, contaminatig the freash intake-charge. So, again, valve-overlap will need to be kept to a minium.

Fortunetly, stock-EFI cams are dinky, with minimal duration and a wide lobe separation, and it's related reduction of valve-overlap. But, still not ideal for a Turbo application.

BTW, this is not from some Internet web-site, this is from my own, fundamental knowledge of automotive engines and basic theory of operation. -I'm sure you could "find" something wrong with it, enjoy!

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you got the money go with a vette motor with a paxton or whipple charger.
    make some nice tq with the right cam
    Grant

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

this is from my own, fundamental knowledge of automotive engines and basic theory of operation.

<hr></blockquote>

so basically it is total BS that you made up and should be wieghted as such.
    the fact that someone who makes and markets the best aftermarket turbo systems says the stock cam is fine means FA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incon/>for any that would like to learn from a turbo guru</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=b&amp;id=1967293969&amp;cf=product&amp;clink=&amp;pf=&amp;ft=>also try and get ahold of Corky Bells book, Maximum Boost. expensive but wow good info</a>